Preamp Line Out Question...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Firstly, I hope I can make sense of my inquiry here...

I have often wondered what set up would provide the best sound when using preamp and amplifier volume outputs. Would it be best to increase the preamp volume output and lessen the amplifier volume or lessen the output of the preamp and increasing the amplifier output? What would be the reasoning for either option? Which setup would provide for less distortion and a cleaner signal to the speakers? Thank you for your help!

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
If you're using a preamp into a normal integrated amp without "pre in" "pre out" sockets, then the best thing is to have the volume on the integrated set to maximum . ** however ** this could be risky if you still have other sources plugged into the integrated as well! (i.e. switching to another input and forgetting to turn the volume down first)

But if you are using the integrated as a power amp only - then volume to max and use the "pre in" or CD input for best sound.

However this is a strange way of using a preamp, and would most likely result in inferior sound quality.

Tony.

A

Anonymous

True. Sorry for the confusion. I'm using an Arcam A70 integrated to power into my B&W 684's, but after purchasing from the dealer, I noticed some severe shortcomings with the Arcam like the limited power, and rather dull play. However, since I have been using the Arcam's preamp, (which seems quite nice) to power through a vintage integrated amp, the sound has improved considerably. So, that is the main reasoning for my question. Additionally, I have a good friend that owns some US made Bob Carver amplifiers and they have an input trim on them that can be used to adjust the gain, I suppose, of the amp? Anyway, I hope this makes more sense now and thank you for your help.

A

Anonymous

FisherBBC:since I have been using the Arcam's preamp, (which seems quite nice) to power through a vintage integrated amp, the sound has improved considerably.

Bonjour...and which vintage amp would that be?

A

Anonymous

I'm using a vintage Sansui 2000A. Old school, I know. However, it does have a nice robust and liquid sound. Less than $100 US on ebay; so I've gotten my money's worth.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts