drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
On the back of a current thread; Is a lot of power/wattage necessary to enjoy music? Will it get you closer to a 'live' performance within the restrictions of a typical living room if indeed thats what you want or is it perhaps detrimental to certain aspects of replay. A lot of power/ inefficient speakers, perhaps few watts and efficient speakers? Your views and experiences ...

A

Anonymous

YES - To quote Clarkson "Power"...oh, and regarding the hi-fi manafacturers, "how hard can it be?".

A

Anonymous

Sensitive speakers and a decent valve amp is my preference

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Ranglo"]
Sensitive speakers and a decent valve amp is my preference
[/quote]

I seem to be contridicting everyone today - appologes first! But I would go for a more powerful amp and less sensative speakers...it has always sounded better to me - less distortion, not as much clipping.

A

Anonymous

It's not just about power in W, the current is important too. How well an amp can cope with transients will play a significant role in making it sound good. But, hey, I'm no engineer and this is just my understanding.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]It's not just about power in W, the current is important too. How well an amp can cope with transients will play a significant role in making it sound good. But, hey, I'm no engineer and this is just my understanding.[/quote]

I guess that's where capacitors come in handy. Paper in oil anybody?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've heard good examples of both kinds as well as powerful amps and efficient speakers. On the whole I tend to prefer lower powered, nimble and agile amplifiers with reasonably efficient speakers though the things that are important to me have to be present at lower volumes as well as something approaching 'realistic' volume occasionally. I favour valves but one of the best amps I've heard is SS and has only relatively low double digit power.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
I've heard good examples of both kinds as well as powerful amps and efficient speakers. On the whole I tend to prefer lower powered, nimble and agile amplifiers with reasonably efficient speakers though the things that are important to me have to be present at lower volumes as well as something approaching 'realistic' volume occasionally. I favour valves but one of the best amps I've heard is SS and has only relatively low double digit power.
[/quote]
Interesting. I haven't had the opportunity to try enough systems to get a feel for this. I suspect I value the agility over the sheer weight. Transparency, detail, speed and presence indeed. Hence the Spendors...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]Interesting. I haven't had the opportunity to try enough systems to get a feel for this. I suspect I value the agility over the sheer weight. Transparency, detail, speed and presence indeed. Hence the Spendors...[/quote]

Which is, I guess, the fourth option ... relatively inefficient speakers (I assume they are. I know they are an IB design, but I have'nt heard them yet. Oddly as they are in my regular place. Must do next time) with a relatively inefficient amp such as your rotel R3. Just by looking at paper specs I would have thought its not a good match but you are obviously proof that this too can work just fine.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]Interesting. I haven't had the opportunity to try enough systems to get a feel for this. I suspect I value the agility over the sheer weight. Transparency, detail, speed and presence indeed. Hence the Spendors...[/quote]

Which is, I guess, the fourth option ... relatively inefficient speakers (I assume they are. I know they are an IB design, but I have'nt heard them yet. Oddly as they are in my regular place. Must do next time) with a relatively inefficient amp such as your rotel R3. Just by looking at paper specs I would have thought its not a good match but you are obviously proof that this too can work just fine.
[/quote]
I have no idea whether this combo should work or not, but it does. I think that a better amp would be a huge benefit to the sound I get though. Is the RA03 inefficient? How does this work?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]I have no idea whether this combo should work or not, but it does. I think that a better amp would be a huge benefit to the sound I get though. Is the RA03 inefficient? How does this work?[/quote]

Apologies, I meant its not a triple figure power station. My experience with larger spendors is they need grippy amplifiers with good controlled bass/high damping factor but your rotel is obviousely quite apt in that way, good enough for the speakers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]I have no idea whether this combo should work or not, but it does. I think that a better amp would be a huge benefit to the sound I get though. Is the RA03 inefficient? How does this work?[/quote]

Apologies, I meant its not a triple figure power station. My experience with larger spendors is they need grippy amplifiers with good controlled bass/high damping factor but your rotel is obviousely quite apt in that way, good enough for the speakers.
[/quote]
Seems to work well. The Rotel has a damping factor of c.180 which seems pretty high to me. It's all academic because I love it! An MF or Primare would be nice though. Next year...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts