Possible image burn using Plasma as PC monitor?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

Having read a bit about the above it seems that this is still occuring even with the newer models, what experiences have you folks had with this?

Just set a screen saver for 10 mins of no activity.

A

Anonymous

If you are using a plasma as a monitor screen burn will occur. Ah, the joys of the bestest technology.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:If you are using a plasma as a monitor screen burn will occur. Ah, the joys of the bestest technology.

???

Come on Octopo, some questions are valid first, before you make outrageous statements! If you use a plasma as a PC monitor and some part of the display is constant without change for a long period of time, then yes, screen burn may occur.

If you use a plasma as a monitor and watch videos on it, only use it for a few hours a day, are generally quite sensible about the whole thing, then the chances of screen burn are pretty low. It's no different to any other use of a plasma - cleary with a PC desktop, the static image is a big risk since it's always the same. However, to say "screen burn will occur" is just plain scaremongering. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi,ÿ

I use my plasma as a pc monitor. I posted a couple of weeks back, that I thought I had screen burn from the google task bar, as I could see the faint outline of it while watching tv. However, after about a week it did go. Did worry me, though. I am more careful, now, switching off the address bar/ google bar when I am not using them. I also change source back to tv every hour or so.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Cheers guys, might opt for a cheap lcd and then wait in the wings for the OLED's to be mass produced then, which according to press releases should be happening from mid 2010.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:then wait in the wings for the OLED's to be mass produced then, which according to press releases should be happening from mid 2010.

They're already mass-produced, but mass-market by next year? Can't see it myself...

A

Anonymous

Sorry I should clarify what I meant,have been reading that Toshiba are promising a 30 inch OLED by 2010 and during 2010 Samsung are looking at the 42 inch OLED. Of course you are more clued in than me as to what is going on but just relaying what their press releases have said. Perhaps near the end of 2010 is more likely? but I doubt any of the manufacturers wants to be left behind once they have increased the life of the OLED's.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Even if they did release a 42" OLED I would expect the price to be outrageous. It will take a while before the new technology comes down to the prices of todays plasma/lcd models, I think we have a good few years left on the current technology.

TRENDING THREADS