Pondering upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

So, I've currently got a Panny TH-37PX70BA, and was thinking about picking up a new box. I'll obviously check stuff out in person, but I was wondering how the Samsung LE40B550 compares?

A

Anonymous

their both different tvs , the plasma will probably be better for watching sports , as plasmas deal with motion better than lcds , but the b550 is a good tv with great reviews , and will look a little sharper and punchier than your panny , the plasma has a more natural look , but then many prefer lcds anyway ...

its a case of finding out which you personally prefer , the b550 doesnt have a 100hz engine , which helps with motion , this is not a problem for some , but others feel they need it , its impossible to say how you will find the tv , you will need to demo against a 100hz tv , maybe the samsung 40b650 , and decide which suits you ...

if you think you want to stay with plasmas , id try and find a panny 42g10 , they are very good in my opinion , but are now discontinued , you may still find one though , just make sure their in stock if you see them advertised ...

or , you could wait 6 or 7 weeks for the new range of tvs to appear , seeing as you currently have a tv , and dont have to buy right now , thats what i would do ...

A

Anonymous

Knewt - I have exactly the same Panasonic 37" for the last 2.5 years and I have been very pleased with it - especially football, which is important to me and the other half. I will also be upgrading, but because of motion problems on LCD in the past and my preference for plasma (more natural picture and deeper blacks), I am waiting for the new Panasonic plasma 2010 range. Don't rush to change just yet!

And will the new range Panasonic plasmas be near Kuro-like?

I can't wait for the reviews.

WHF team: when do you plan to review the new Panasonic plasmas? Which issue?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for both those replies. Good thoughts to ponder over. I'm certainly happy with the current tv, and not in a absolute rush to replace it, so I think I will indeed wait a little while.

Regarding the difference between plasma and lcd, I've got an older lcd Tosh in the bedroom (used to be the main tv). Picture is ok enough, but definitely not as good as the Panny. But then, it's also older than the Panny.

I remember when I bought the current set, I compared against a similarly priced Samsung lcd that was around at the time and also getting good reviews. Even though the Samsung was full-hd, I definitely preferred the look of the Panny. Hence I bought it :)

Guess I'll wait and see...

A

Anonymous

Hmm, one of my local Richer Sounds has a 42g10 in stock (1 only) for £640

A

Anonymous

Hmm, an ex-display model. Will have to look at it carefully methinks.

TRENDING THREADS