Pointless hifi accessory purchases

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I already have ferrite clamps on most cables, in some cases even within components but that didn't prevent me to bid for and subsequently win a lovely new old stock TDK clamp filter kit :)

Not cheap, arguably over-priced (20 quid) but luvely, it came in an oversize, foam lined VHS type of case consisting of different sized Ferrite clamp sets (8 and a half pairs ... don't ask) with a foil cover stating their respective types.

I am a sucker for things like that.

Have you recently bought any hifi related tweak stuff?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Most good USB cables I have come prefitted with ferrite clamps. They have a use with the right application. Add one to your plumbing, it wont make water taste better.

I recently bought two things. Bostik Blu-Tack, as well as copper and aluminium cooling blocks with sticky heat pads for mounting on ICs.

drummerman said:
I already have ferrite clamps on most cables, in some cases even within components but that didn't prevent me to bid for and subsequently win a lovely new old stock TDK clamp filter kit :)

Not cheap, arguably over-priced (20 quid) but luvely, it came in an oversize, foam lined VHS type of case consisting of different sized Ferrite clamp sets (8 and a half pairs ... don't ask) with a foil cover stating their respective types.

I am a sucker for things like that.

Have you recently bought any hifi related tweak stuff?

Not recently no. My tweaking days are long gone. :)

I have however been casting envious glances at Townshend Seismic isolation podiums for my speakers and trying not to look at the price of the things at the same time.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Have been the purchase of two Pro-Ject coloured felt slip mats, one each for the turntables in my two systems.

One blue and one green, no reason other than I thought they looked funky! *dirol*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Van Damme 4mm jumpers because the 'bridges' supplied with my speakers were so flimsy they threatened to deform under their own weight!

21762691084_608379e674_n.jpg

One of these ...

23412915151_3aaf95e78d.jpg

... because the supplied mains lead - although safe i'm sure - was an affront to the physical quality I expect of decent mains plugs (like MK or Duraplug for instance). Highly discounted, on-the-spot offer straight from the socket in a shop's dem room for £35. Sound better? No, I don't think so, but I didn't really expect it to.

Van Damme UP LC-OFC 4mm2 speaker cables ...

4815lg.jpg

Big improvement over some ancient, thin QED efforts i'd been using for years. Good quality copper and lot's of it. Simples.

AudioQuest Forest 0.75m Mini-Optical to Toslink cable (between Quad Vena and Airport Express) ...

41XC3e4Gn7L.jpg

Exactly the right length (0.75m) and exactly the right connections (without any clunky adaptors), exactly the right flexibility or 'drape' and thin too. Virtually invisible in use. Overpriced? A bit, yes, but it was precisely what I wanted visually and ergonomically. Sound better? No, it can't. It's an optical digital cable.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Most good USB cables I have come prefitted with ferrite clamps. They have a use with the right application. Add one to your plumbing, it wont make water taste better.

I recently bought two things. Bostik Blu-Tack, as well as copper and aluminium cooling blocks with sticky heat pads for mounting on ICs.

Pointless as in that I already have ferrites. Not in a nice matching set mind :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevee1966 said:
A Schitt Magni headphone amp.

Is that the manufacturer or a comment on it's quality, or both? *smile*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Epiphany Acoustics DAC/headphone amp for £200 which sits there unused gathering dust because the Sennehiser HD700 headphones are so easy to drive that they sound identical when they're just plugged straight into a portable MP3 player.

I also recently bought two pairs of shielded RCA cables for my Technics turntable then realised that it already has an RCA cable hardwired into it.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
I have however been casting envious glances at Townshend Seismic isolation podiums for my speakers and trying not to look at the price of the things at the same time.

I have the Townshend Seismic Bars under my Martin Logans. They do a great job of isolating the speaker from the floor, which cuts out some unwanted resonances and means I disturb my neighbours less. (I hadn't foreseen this would be an upside of the Seismic Bars, but it has been a great boon.)

The only downside is that very low frequency tones can cause the whole speaker to vibrate, which causes some smearing. This isn't an issue with my set-up, as my main speakers are cut off at 100Hz and the lowest stuff is handled by a sub. But it could be an issue with full-range floorstanders.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I bought a Epiphany Acoustics DAC/headphone amp for £200 which sits there unused gathering dust because the Sennehiser HD700 headphones are so easy to drive that they sound identical when they're just plugged straight into a portable MP3 player.

I also recently bought two pairs of shielded RCA cables for my Technics turntable then realised that it already has an RCA cable hardwired into it.

I assume they are the same crxxx RCA cables that usually come free with cheapo stuff. I had a similar one hardwired to my SL7.

I would remove those immediately and solder in something decent/the ones you bought.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
steve_1979 said:

I assume they are the same crxxx RCA cables that usually come free with cheapo stuff. I had a similar one hardwired to my SL7.

I would remove those immediately and solder in something decent/the ones you bought.

Yes they look like the cheap ones that you get free with stuff. IMO it was a bad design move by Technics to have cables wired in rather than just using plug in sockets.

steve_1979 said:
drummerman said:
steve_1979 said:

Yes they look like the cheap ones that you get free with stuff. IMO it was a bad design move by Technics to have cables wired in rather than just using plug in sockets.

I am glad to see some manufacturers moving away for the captive cables set-up. Rega were the same. They should be making it easier to upgrade things like this.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
steve_1979 said:
drummerman said:
steve_1979 said:

I am glad to see some manufacturers moving away for the captive cables set-up. Rega were the same. They should be making it easier to upgrade things like this.

Or just to be able to choose the correct length of cable.

(Although it's best to use long cables after the phono-preamp in the case of turntables.)

chebby said:
Al ears said:
steve_1979 said:
drummerman said:
steve_1979 said:

Or just to be able to choose the correct length of cable.

(Although it's best to use long cables after the phono-preamp in the case of turntables.)

Good point. You see a lot of advice about wall-shelf mounting turntables which is a bit tricky if your amp is more than a metre away. Twin shelves with phono preamp underneath is the way to go, then you don't have to worry about captive cable or not unless your amp has an inbuilt phono stage.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The hardwired RCAs are nothing fancy but far from the rubbish you get free with today's DVD players. Unless they are damaged/worn I wouldn't bother replacing them for listening to electronic music. Same for the tonearm or going too fancy with the cart choice$. For EDM keep it simple and original. If you change a single screw the 1210 drops in price.

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
A 2ft x 1ft block of 2 inch thick Lakeland blue slate, £5 from a nearby slate yard.

Cut it in half and I have my Castle floorstanders sitting on them. Well - I think they help, but then - I would!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts