PMC OB1i vs Twenty 24

iceman16

Hi Jax,

I've demoed the Twenty.24 at home for a week and found them a bit lean compared to the Focals I'm currently using. I have'nt heard the OB1i's though. The 24's are fast,clean and have tight bass but lack some "oomph" for my liking.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I had a demo recently with the OB1i's and twenty 24's back to back. I have FB1i's currently, and am considering going futher up the PMC tree, as it were, for my front speakers.

The source was as mix of lossless files and cd, feeding a bryston SP3 digitally, into an Audiolab power amp. It was supposed to be with the 4B SST but it was faulty.

The OB1i's were obviously from the same family as my current speakers, but I felt quite a lot better. The midrange seemed clearer, and there was a lot more bass texture and detail. However, for my tastes I felt the bass was a bit too dominant.

The twenty 24's were very different in presentation, and it took me a little while to 'get' them, as they are much more open in the treble, and less prominent in the bass. With well recorded music, they have a real sparkle, for want of a better word. The longer I listened to them the more I liked them, and I would take them over the OB1i's. I have subsequently had a demo with the Fact 8's and I think with the right electronics they could be my perfect speakers. I dont think they are everyones cup of tea tho, and i havent been able to compare them back to back with any other speakers.

Dont know if that helps. Do you have any specific questions?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
gregvet said:
The twenty 24's were very different in presentation, and it took me a little while to 'get' them, as they are much more open in the treble, and less prominent in the bass. With well recorded music, they have a real sparkle, for want of a better word.

Thank you.. that really helps me!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Gregvet - 4B is all better now, and a loan of the Fact 8's will bring all you need under one roof... :grin:

jaxwired said:
Anybody get a chance to compare these. I'd love to hear thoughts on that comparison. Thanks.

To sum things up very simply. The OB1i's will appeal to those who like a fuller sound with plenty of bass. The Twenty.24's are more for those that want a more even balamce, don't like the bass being dominant, and want to hear plenty of mid and HF detail.

After talks with the PMC rep recently, it doesn't look like there is a Twenty.25 in the pipeline in the near future, so anyone holding out for that, I wouldn't hold your breath.

If it was my choice, I would go for the Twenty.24's - although I like bass (as in the 205/2's), I would prefer the bass performance of the 24's over the OB1i's. I just prefer the greater insight that the Twenty's possess. But, I didn't get on with the Fact 8's :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
But, I didn't get on with the Fact 8's :)

David, could you elaborate a little further on this, as I thought they shared a lot of the same characteristics as the Twenty series.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Hi, Jax! Upgrade on the way?

Well, there's a used pair of Twenty 24s for sale and I could pretty much do an even swap for my OB1is. I was just curious what the change would bring. But based on this thread, I'm sticking with the OB1is. I do have the itch to experiment with another speaker, but I will probably buy something a little more affordable so I can afford to keep the OB1is as well. I can't part with the OB1is. I still love them. They do everything right for my taste.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Gregvet - 4B is all better now, and a loan of the Fact 8's will bring all you need under one roof... :grin:

Now you have got me interested David

A proper back to back demo of the twenty24, fact 8, and 205/2s could be on the cards :dance:

I will be in touch when I know when I will be back in your neck of the woods.

CnoEvil said:
David, could you elaborate a little further on this, as I thought they shared a lot of the same characteristics as the Twenty series.

Good question, Cno. I was wondering earlier why two from the PMC stable would have such a different balance - makes me suspicious! (I realise the twenty series is the newest incarnation.)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
But, I didn't get on with the Fact 8's :)

The Facts do share a lot with the Twenty series, and while the Fact 8's may be more accurate than the Twenty.24's for example, I feel they've just gone a bit too far with them. They've done a good job to get the bass from them that they have, and there's plenty of detail on offer, but from a personal point of view, I feel there is more capable competition around for similar or slightly more money. Maybe the Twentys will ease me into the Fact sound, but as mentioned above, I don't feel they're competitive to the likes of the 205/2's for £750 more - while the Facts are slimmer, the 205/2's are nowhere near as deep and don't intrude into the room as much. Overall, I just prefer the sound of the Twenty.24 over the Fact 8, despite their technical superiority. I didn't get the same initial impressions from he Facts that I did with the Twentys either.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The Facts do share a lot with the Twenty series, and while the Fact 8's may be more accurate than the Twenty.24's for example, I feel they've just gone a bit too far with them. They've done a good job to get the bass from them that they have, and there's plenty of detail on offer, but from a personal point of view, I feel there is more capable competition around for similar or slightly more money. Maybe the Twentys will ease me into the Fact sound, but as mentioned above, I don't feel they're competitive to the likes of the 205/2's for £750 more - while the Facts are slimmer, the 205/2's are nowhere near as deep and don't intrude into the room as much. Overall, I just prefer the sound of the Twenty.24 over the Fact 8, despite their technical superiority. I didn't get the same initial impressions from he Facts that I did with the Twentys either.

Thx David.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
jaxwired said:
AlmaataKZ said:

Well, there's a used pair of Twenty 24s for sale and I could pretty much do an even swap for my OB1is. I was just curious what the change would bring. But based on this thread, I'm sticking with the OB1is. I do have the itch to experiment with another speaker, but I will probably buy something a little more affordable so I can afford to keep the OB1is as well. I can't part with the OB1is. I still love them. They do everything right for my taste.

I agree , stick with your OB1i's IMO the 24's would be a sideways move .

If you want a real and worthwhile upgrade go for the PB1i's they are in a completely different league and well worth the extra money as long as your room is large enough :grin:

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired said:
AlmaataKZ said:

Great! I also often find myself holding on to things, especially the ones that last.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
jaxwired said:
AlmaataKZ said:

Great! I also often find myself holding on to things, especially the ones that last.

Right on brother! These PMCs are the most entertaining speakers I've ever had. They excel at everything and they are the first speaker I've ever owned that seemed to have zero sonic flaws. If I'm smart, I'll keep them for at least a decade.

A

Anonymous

I wonder if Naimuniti2 70W/ch will drive the PMC24 well or I need bigger amp? Any advice?

Currently I have Cyrus 8XPD and Quad12. Need to upgrade the whole kit. Appreciate any advice.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
That will be plenty enough for the 24s, they are not hard to drive looking at the specs, that isn't always the whole story but I'm confident in this case you'll have enough.

A

Anonymous

Hi Bluedroog,

thanks for your reply. :) I will choose between Uniti2 vs Superuniti and go for uprades for NAP200 or NAP 250.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts