PM6004 or 350A for my Cambridge Audio S30’s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I’m happy with my Cambridge Audio S30’s. So is my wife. Size does matter, but in this case in an opposite way ;-)

My Yamaha receiver died more or less, so I’m on a quest for a new, decent amplifier for the speakers mentioned above. Not a receiver since I don’t listen to terrestrial radio anymore. Also not a Yamaha again, because this is already the second Yamaha that dies sooner as expected. I’ll extend it later this year with a new CD player and a Sonos Connect for internet radio and my NAS stored music collection.

My budget is limited but I can’t afford rubbish, if you know what I mean. I’m looking for an amplifier that is very well build, lasts long and keeps me happy.

The Cambridge Audio Azur 350A is the first amplifier that comes in my mind, and probably also yours. It fits my budget as well. But also the Marantz PM6004 fits my budget and is at this very moment even 20 euro cheaper as the 350A. Normally the PM6004 is 50 euro more expensive than the 350A. So, pricewise (now) about the same, what doesn’t help making the choice easier.

The PM6004 is a Best Buy, but I know that isn’t a guarantee for a good match with “just” a pair of speakers that are also a Best Buy. Therefore I surfed the internet quite a while but I didn’t find any information how the PM6004 matches with the S30’s. It looks I’m the only one thinking of (or having) this combination.

I need some advice here. Any recommendations and suggestions, please? Thanks in advance.

(excuses for any grammatical errors, English is not my native language)

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
well the s30 dont have the ultimate in high frequencies detail but have good bass.think that would go well with the marantz.but for sinergy the CA would be better with high frequencies.but..the marantz would be more future proof.but...in thefuture id get something a bit better at higher frerquencies than the s30,say like the 2020i Qacoustics.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
can also tell you i had S30 before with yamaha's ax497 and it sounded awfull.sold the lot.bought mu current Sr10 +s30 in a pack because it sounded good and was cheap.but its hard to pair the s30.tried them also with my HK3390 and it sounded bad...

matthewpiano

In this instance I'd go with the 350A. I had one for a while. Solid build, and excellent sound - one of Cambridge Audio's better efforts IMO - and it will work very well with the S30s which need a relatively clean sounding amp to open them out a little.

A

Anonymous

S30's treble is "too polite". They are recommended parnters for setups on the bright side (or at least neutral). I like these loudspeakers a lot because their quite natural midrange, astonishing dynamics (for an entry level bookshelv) and punchy low end.

Marantz entry level amplifiers sounds a bit rolled-off on mids and highs. Together with the S30, I suspect the 6004 will produce a kind of rolled-off top end. Anyway, it may suit the taste of many of you.

I used to own a Cambridge 640A V2. It's a kind of amplifier that is proper to be partnered with the S30.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
hey Bruno, if you already have a cambridge audio speaker I think you should go for the 350a. The synergy between the two will undoubtedly be great. I had the 340a and enjoyed it for years, great amp, great sound, great build. I personally feel that Marantz concentrates on the midrange too much, paying less attention to bass and treble which depending on your listening taste can be good or bad. I think if you can demo both you should as both are great amps for the money....the question would be whether the marantz will go with your speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I ran a test with 4 amplifiers with the S30 attached:

• Marantz PM 6004: fits quite nice. best fit in the test. very smooth and warm and detailed. I bought it for the S30.
  • Rotel RA 10: very cold and harsh - forget it.
  • Wega JPS 352 V-100: a bit too bright, but better than the Rotel, good bass. The Wega is of age 34 now and still on duty.
  • Technics SE-A800S+SU-C800U: the bass is the problem here. Its not very precise. Works best with my Dynaudio Compound 3. All other amplifiers in the list have been tested with the Dynaudios and all failed except the Technics.

Couldnt get a Cambridge Amplifier to test thats why I bought the Marantz.

cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts