Please help PC go wireless ~

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi:

Planning to get wireless Sqeezebox. I don't have wireless connection in my desktop. I am yet to buy SB3. Can i use Netgear 111V2 Wireless 2.0 USB Adapter. Can the SB3 stream music from PC if i connect this USB device? The specifications are -

· Device Type: Network adapter
· Form Factor: External
· Interface (Bus) Type: Hi-Speed USB
· Dimensions (WxDxH): 3 cm x 9.5 cm x 1.5 cm
· Weight: 32 g
· Data Link Protocol: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
· Data Transfer Rate: 54 Mbps
· Frequency Band: 2.4 GHz
· Compliant Standards: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
· System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP

John Duncan

That will certainly allow you to join a wireless network, but I don't think it'll allow you to create one, or enable the SB to share its internet connection. Personally I'd get a wireless router to create the network, bit more flexible (and more expensive), but for one it'll allow you to use internet radio on the squeezebox without having your PC turned on.

Can you just give me a quick rundown of your current network (ie how your internet connection is wired into your PC)?

John Duncan

In which case, I'd stick a wireless router between the cable modem (or ADSL or whatever it is) and the ethernet cable and continue to run etherenet to the PC. You can then have the SB join the network created by the wireless router.

If subsequently you want the PC to be wireless (just to save running that ethernet cable the length of your house), you can add the USB dongle at a later date.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I'm confused. I don't have modem inside my house, only a cable running into the wall from outside, and this cable runs straight into the slot in the CPU.

In the above case, how do i connect the wireless router? and won't the router connect to SB on it's own, why need a dongle ?

John Duncan

You have an ethernet cable that comes from outside your house and plugs straight into your PC? Where from outside? Just for my sake, is this in the UK, and if so what internet provider do you use?

Sorry for the confusion - yes, the SB will connect directly by wireless, I meant a dongle for the PC.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Ok. Not in uk. I live in flat with many houses, and ISP installed a common box or something for some 3 or 4 houses to share, so my ethernet cable comes from this box from outside.

John Duncan

OK. So plug that ethernet cable into the "internet in" socket on a wireless router, and then plug the PC into one of the (usually) four ethernet ports on the back. Voil… - you have a network, to which your PC is wired and the Sb can attach wirelessly.

Last question though (since you may be keen to get rid of the long snakey wire) - does that ethernet cable basically come straight through the wall, so there's no socket at the wall which the other end of the ethernet cable goes into?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts