Please, help a newbie out?

SeanT

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and hoping I'm in the right place to get a bit of help.
...well, new to all this highly technical streaming audio stuff, anyway. I'm hoping some of you can give me some research directions...

I have a bunch of boxes just now, with lots of cables, and hacked connectors and converters, and stuff - all analogue. I'm sick of the sight of all the string, and have just started exploring the possibility of going as close to all-wireless as possible. We have Mac Powerbook pros in the house, with a Synology Diskstation storing the audio (this is new). We only have a small telly, but the audio is rubbish, so I have routinely run it though the 'hifi'.
Things I need:
  • A speaker system (just 2 channel - nothing fancy) I can stream to from the Diskstation, either directly or via something else, but as wifi as possible.A bluray/DVD player I can use as a CD player standalone, ie without switching the telly on. Also as wifi as poss.Access to BBC radio servicesA way of dealing with signal from the skyboxA way of dealing with signal from a turntable, and a revox reel-to-reel.Accessible from iOS devices, preferably with a minimum of discrete remote control handsets.

I know this is likely to be sacrilege here, but (whispers) *I'm not too bothered about sound quality*
I'm an ex- live sound engineer, you see, and my top end is fairly shot - so why spend the money? Also, I can't make ideal listening conditions in my house. All I need is all of the above, with a reasonable consumer-quality sound.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give,

Sean

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forum,your easiest way here is a av amp,networked,will stream from your nas,play pretty much any music file,connect sky box and pretty much anything else,and much more,most will be controllable via an app,find one suits your needs and budget then listen to some speakers with it and pick the sound you prefare.*dirol*

SeanT

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I'm not up on network stuff, so please bear with me.

Will the av amp push digital audio onto either wifi or ethernet, to be picked up by eg a sonos speaker pair? Or am I reduced to using string? Can't use a sonos playbar, as I don't have 900mm of space!

Another forum suggested Oppo 105D, Parasound P5 preamp, Vanatoo Transparent One speakers. While appreciative of the suggestion, I thought it could probably be done for (slightly) less.

Am I better to bite the bullet, and stick with cabled speakers?

Ta,

Sean

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
No the amp will not send audio over internet,if your set on sonus then there's a connect box which connects to a amp and would. Possibly mean just a stereo amp rather than a more expensive av amp.

SeanT

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Not set on sonos, particularly - just the first I came across when starting to research all this stuff. I do find it a bit of a missed opportunity to not just make everything networkable via ethernet - in fact, I rather imagined that was the whole point of the 'internet of things'. Anyway, thanks for your help - I'm off to RS this morning to get someone to explain the whole 'hifi' thing in words of one syllable. Honestly, venue sound is so much more straightforward... *unknw*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts