Please Advice... Wharfedale Diamond 121, Dali Zensor 1 or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have always loved music and now I want to set a nice music system. Of course I would also use it for movies but putting it in percentages, would be 70% music, 30% movies.

I have a Yamaha Rx-v673 reciever and the speakers that I have on mind are:

* Wharfedale Diamond 121

* Wharefale Diamod 9.1

* Dali Zensor 1

I want to set up something that makes listening to music for hours a pleasant experience and not something that after 2 hours leave my ears tired.

Other options that I have considered are the Monitor Audio Bx2, Boston Acoustics A26 or the Home Theater options such as the Monitor Audio MASS or the Cambridge Audio S325, but since my priority is music listening I don't know if this options are for consideration.

By the way the type of music I hear is mainly rock (not heavy but indie or alternative) & jazz; and because of space issues I'll have to place the speakers mounted on the wall.

Thanks for your help!

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your reply. I have been told that the boston's A26 do not perform well if the wall is to close to their back side. Therefore, I wonder if they are going to underperform if, as I would do, mount them against the wall.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
To my mind if you are looking at low level listening then the Dali's are the choice. If you like it loud then the 121's. The Wharfedales are very good and produce a fuller sound than the Zensors - this comes into play with a bit of volume in them. The Zensors are clean and sound slightly light in comparison so when you turn them up the 121's offer more.

It is a very close run thing and in demonstration we are selling equal numbers.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
You can also try the Tannoy Mercury V1 (very good) and the Monitor Audio BX1 (almost as good as the BX2).

I agree that the Zensors are great though............still an amazing speaker.

manicm

LaloPermeloa said:
Thank you for your reply. I have been told that the boston's A26 do not perform well if the wall is to close to their back side. Therefore, I wonder if they are going to underperform if, as I would do, mount them against the wall.

Being rear-ported that's probably true. I've heard them as well and they are great speakers though if you have a bit more space. In fact I had a difficult decision between these and the BX2s. But my dealer wanted a 60% deposit to audition them, and taking into account they were rear-ported, I chose the BX2s from another dealer.

Also, I felt I did not have a true reflection of the speakers capability as the first dealer seemed to connect the A26s to what seemed 10m+ cable! That surely had to affect the sound somewhat, as I felt their output was too low even in a largish room.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I've had the Boston A26 speakers for a while but sold them in the end. I had the feeling the sound was glued to the speaker if you know what I mean. A large soundstage was not there. The Monitor Audio BX2 does not have this problem...........they create a large soundstage.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Blackdawn, do you have the same experience as me with the A26 (sound glued to the speaker) or is it just a case of running in ?

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Cypher said:
Blackdawn, do you have the same experience as me with the A26 (sound glued to the speaker) or is it just a case of running in ?

I've heard the BX2 as well. Having played lots of diferent recordings some are better than others. The A26's manage to make all my music sound good even if its an old recording. I kind of understand what your saying but I feel they are maybe not so in your face as say the BX2 or Dali s. Maybe your right about the soundstage compared to the BX2s or the mag mentions in the review about the transition between notes? I like there presentation which I feel is smooth for a modern speaker. yet also punchy with plenty of bass. One of the main reasons I like them is I can listen to hours without any fatigue. Also I expect my other equipment seems to be suited to the A26's.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The 'sound glued to the speakers' is the only thing that bothered me about the A26. They are amazing speakers otherwise.........lots of detail, refinement and very tight and musical bass. They are also very easy to drive and they look awesome IMO.

Glad you like them. The Pioneer A-30 you have is a fantastic amp BTW, I own one too ;)

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Just listening to some classical and the A26's seem great with plenty of attack and dynamics. I can't say I've found the 'glued to the speaker' sound at the moment (even though I know what you mean). Here the sound is really projected into the room, I don't feel there is a veil over the music and the sound is really convincing.

Yes, so far I'm pleased with the A30 amplifier :) Works very with the A26's. Are there any other members with the Pioneer A30 out there? Cypher what other gear are you running the the A30?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I did hear the 121's the other day and they were rather good. I don't thinknyou will do wrong with any of the. speakers mentioned.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Blackdawn;

I have the following setup ; Pioneer N-30/Pioneer A-30/Dali Zensor 1

The Dali Zensors are great but I miss the bass a lot. That's the only weak point of these speakers but a rather big one. I'm tempted to try the A26 speakers again with the Pioneer A-30, when I had the A26 I had a different amp. The A26 has a great bass sound :grin:

The Pioneer A-30 is amazing. Warm sound with lots of detail and the buildquality is so good. Unbelievable product for not a lot of money. It had great reviews in some german magazines but not a lot of reviews in the UK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts