Playstation 3 vs the best blu ray players on the market

surroundman

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I have been told that there is only little difference between PS3 and best Blu-ray players regarding quality of sound and picture

Has anybody else got different experience ? How much I have to spend for blu ray player if I want to see and hear massive difference compare to PS3 ?

Would you recommend any specific player?

Thank you.

F

FunkyMonkey

Isn't there something like the PS3 can't do full frame rate or resolution 3d, and cannot stream dts HD, or is that old news?

Paul.

PS3 fat can't bitstream HD master audio but can bitstream lower res audio.

On an older Panasonic TV that did 3:2 pull down instead of 24p my Panasonic BDT-310 gave smoother motion than PS3 (noticeable with pans). On my new TV which does 24p I can see no diference.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
In theory, there shouldn't be any difference, as 1080p is 1080p. But there's more to a picture than resolution.

I originally started out with a PS3, and I was very happy when I had it. But I then changed for a Sony 350 and found it to be better in a few areas. I then changed it for the similarly capable Panasonic BD60 because I could get that multi-region. Because of the inability of these budget players to produce DVD to the quality I was used to from my old Pioneer DV737, I bought a Sony BDP5000ES. I have now replaced all with the Oppo 103. I now have the best looking picture I have ever had. Anyone who wants to see how much better the Oppo can look over their existing player is quite welcome to bring it along and I'll show them that differences can be seen.

The biggest differences between Bluray players is DVD playback and CD reproduction.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I have now replaced all with the Oppo 103. I now have the best looking picture I have ever had. Anyone who wants to see how much better the Oppo can look over their existing player is quite welcome to bring it along and I'll show them that differences can be seen.

I am coming to Coventry for a Conference in May....will contact you nearer the time. I've been thinking about getting my Panasonic BD60 along. :)

The biggest differences between Bluray players is DVD playback and CD reproduction.

Agreed about DVD playback. I don't listen to CDs at home, so can't comment on CD reproduction.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
In theory, there shouldn't be any difference, as 1080p is 1080p. But there's more to a picture than resolution.

I originally started out with a PS3, and I was very happy when I had it. But I then changed for a Sony 350 and found it to be better in a few areas. I then changed it for the similarly capable Panasonic BD60 because I could get that multi-region. Because of the inability of these budget players to produce DVD to the quality I was used to from my old Pioneer DV737, I bought a Sony BDP5000ES. I have now replaced all with the Oppo 103. I now have the best looking picture I have ever had. Anyone who wants to see how much better the Oppo can look over their existing player is quite welcome to bring it along and I'll show them that differences can be seen.

During the half term 28th (onwards) I plan to visit with a friend. the idea is to give you a headache by helping me chose either the Oppo 103, marantz 7007 or the Oppo 95. :))

Which of those do you favour David? I know the Marantz and 95 will probably win on CD playback?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
duaplex said:
During the half term 28th (onwards) I plan to visit with a friend. the idea is to give you a headache by helping me chose either the Oppo 103, marantz 7007 or the Oppo 95. :))

Which of those do you favour David? I know the Marantz and 95 will probably win on CD playback?

I haven't seen an Oppo 95 so I can't comment on that one. We can talk about the other two when you pop in :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I naturally thought you would have stocked that one. Not to worry, the Marantz and the Oppo 103 are high on my list. I was trying to get an idea of the 95 as that is close to the CA 751, which i can only demo at richersounds!

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Personally i can see a difference between my PS3 and Sony BD player. Less noise in blocks of black and better motion. Thats not to say PS3 isn't great, it is.

Of note is that i played around with a new hand made mains cable and the noise reduced dramatically. As a result picture looked sharper and deeper.

Makes a lot of sense when u consider just how much goes on in that little multi tasking black box of fun!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts