Playing digital files

dudleyperkins

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If you have cd's ripped to a storage device, can they be played by simply plugging the storage device in to a stand alone DAC, and the DAC connected to an amp?

The storage device would then be re-connected to a computer as and when I buy new music, then back to the DAC for playback. I'm suggesting this as a possible alternative to buying a streamer.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Some NAS drives can do this, e.g. some of the models made by Synology and QNAP. I have a Synology DS212j which can be connected to my DAC via USB.

You'll also want to consider how good the NAS drive's control point software is. The interface of my Synology is pretty poor, I think. Many NAS drives allow you to install third-party music server software, which may well be the best route to long-term happiness.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Some NAS devices can stream directly to a dac, though many do not.

USB devices can not, as far as I know, be used in that way.

Have you considered using an iPod? It will do exactly as you ask.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

If you mean USB external HDs, you're right. But for clarity's sake it's worth repeating that many NAS drives can connect to a DAC via USB.

jjbomber

dudleyperkins said:
The storage device would then be re-connected to a computer as and when I buy new music, then back to the DAC for playback. I'm suggesting this as a possible alternative to buying a streamer.

As long as they are connected to the same network, there is no need for them to be physically connected to send the music file over.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

If you mean USB external HDs, you're right. But for clarity's sake it's worth repeating that many NAS drives can connect to a DAC via USB.

Thank you sir, I shall endeavour to be more precise in future....*sorry2*

dudleyperkins

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I know I only need a NAS connected to my network, but I will have to rely on a wireless connection, as my hifi and router are in opposite corners of the house, and on different floors. Making it very difficult to connect via an eternet cable. Ethernet cable is apparently prefered for high resolution files. Which is why I thought a NAS directly to a DAC would be ok.

I hadn't thought how I would control the playback through a DAC. A streamer may be the better solution after all.

Mr beck

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm not completely up on high res music but I have the same issue as you (hifi in one corner and router in the other). So I connect the two vi a power line adapter. They basically use your power cables in your home to transfer your internet. So I connect my hifi and router/nas vi lan through my mains cable. All my music is 16 bit and it sounds as good as cd even after coming through power cables, works a treat.

Hope this helps.

David.

Mr beck said:
I'm not completely up on high res music but I have the same issue as you (hifi in one corner and router in the other). So I connect the two vi a power line adapter. They basically use your power cables in your home to transfer your internet. So I connect my hifi and router/nas vi lan through my mains cable. All my music is 16 bit and it sounds as good as cd even after coming through power cables, works a treat.

Hope this helps.

David.

+1. Depending on your house wiring a powerline adapter is the way to go. Better than wireless in my case.

TRENDING THREADS