Plasma Screen Damage SOS

rhamilto

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
I have a Hitachi 42PD7500 42" plasma screen TV (okay, okay, it's a bit outdated now, and while connectivity and general design/build are aged, the picture quality remains decent for HD, and the sound of the standard supplied speakers remain the best standard speaker quality I have heard yet - in terms of 'size', depth, surround, punch, fullness).

Anyway. yesterday disaster struck.

Cleaned the screen with a standard window/glass cleaner spray (as has been done countless times before without any issues whatsoever) - and there appears to have been some sort of caustic reaction with the cleaning product.

The outcome is that a very thin top layer of the screen seems to have been corroded off - almost as if the solution was too acidic.

When the television is switched off, the damage looks awful. Viewing is not ruined.

It was a major supermarket chain's own brand. I won't name them yet.

A call to their Customer Services department was dealt with, with surprising sympathy.

They invited that the product be dropped off at the Customer Services desk of my local store - and they will end it off for analysis. This, I have been advised, will take around 2 weeks.

Perhaps of significance is that they gave a refund on the cleaning product (remember their own brand stuff).

So - my questions to which I invite debate:

1) has anyone on here ever heard or experienced this before?

2) does anyone have any advice that may help guide me through this most unwanted occurrence?

3) are there any similar war stories?

All responses gratefully read with interest.

Thanks.

RobH

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Specifically, the Hitachi TV's manual says:

'Clean the screen with a soft cloth moistened with warm water and dry with a
soft cloth. A mild soap may be used if the screen is extremely dirty.
Do not use harsh or abrasive cleaners!'

So while the formulation of the cleaner you're using may have changed, assuming you've been using the same one all along, you may be on dodgy ground as you really shouldn't have been using the cleaner in the first place. Or it could just be that cumulative applications of the cleaner over time have been eating away at the coating on the screen to the point where eventually something major appeared to happen.

It'll be the screen coating, not the glass itself, that's damaged, and while it might be possible to have the screen recoated, or even a new panel put in (if spares are still available, which is unlikely, given the age of the set), it would probably not be economically viable to do so on a TV now knocking on eight years old.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You can perhaps take this as a sign that it's time for a new TV.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you've stripped away part of the anti-reflective coating. Once done, this can't be repaired without replacing the screen. This would be expensive (perhaps impossible, as it's an older TV).

Sorry, that's not what you want to hear, but it's unwise to use abrasive cleaning products on a plasma screen.

EDIT: I'm basically repeating everything Andrew said. At least there's consensus on your issue.

rhamilto

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
All,

Thanks for replies (thus far).

Of particular interest to me is that the product itself does NOT provide any messaging warning NOT to use on the screen (glass) of televisions.

This may clearly be a current gap in product messaging.

They refunded on the product; which to me, at least, could be interpreted as an acknowledgement of culpability perhaps.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I've yet to find a manufacturer that recommends you use anything other than a soft damp cloth with which to clean ANY screen, my current Sony HX853 LED tv manual has a very clear warning to not use anything else than a damp cloth to clean the screen. In order to shift stubborn finger marks you can use some very diluted washing up liquid in a bowl of water and use the cloth with this but I would never use a cleaner of the like you describe on my tv screen.

The problem is that most tvs these days have some sort of coating on them to aid with reflections and picture quality so the issue is not just limited to plasma screens, as harsh as it sounds you really should have read the manual with regards to how you clean the screen and in this case i'm very sorry to say that you are responsible for the damage to the tv screen and not the manufacturer of the cleaning product in question.

It's time for a new tv, to get 8 years out of the Hitachi is good going as it's lasted well. Sorry it's not good news but I would say you are responsible for not following the advice set out in the manual.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
rhamilto said:
Of particular interest to me is that the product itself does NOT provide any messaging warning NOT to use on the screen (glass) of televisions.

It probably doesn't tell you to use it to clean your contact lenses before putting them back in your eyes either but...

Every flat screen manual I've ever seen states very clearly not to use any kind of cleaner on the screen, you've obviously never bothered reading yours.

This may clearly be a current gap in product messaging.

They refunded on the product; which to me, at least, could be interpreted as an acknowledgement of culpability perhaps.

The fault it yours, nobody else's, sorry.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Page 2 of the user manual states :read:

"CAUTION

To prevent scratches or damages to the plasma screen, do not

knock or rub the surface with sharp or hard objects. Clean the

screen with a soft cloth moistened with warm water and dry with a

Do not use harsh or abrasive cleaners!"

Argh.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid that, whilst it may be a bit of a harsh delivery, the LHC is absolutely correct. It is long overdue that people take responsibility for their own actions. How many things must be listed on a product, because there will never be enough? Someone somewhere will find an inappropriate use for things.

Even if you were in the right, are you going to have the product independantly tested? No I didn't think so. So you will never know if it is out of spec because they aren't going to cough to it.

Expensive, but useful life lesson.

rhamilto

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for replies.

My point in this is NOT that I would look to Hitachi for a refund.

It would be more that a consumer product that is intended for "windows and glass", and that doesn't contain any warnings against use on television screens, is what has seemingly caused damage to a personal item of mine.

I am merely pointing out that a product sold, without any caveats or warnings, for cleaning glass has damaged something.

If this is a known by-product of the cleaning product - then it should be clearly labelled with a warning (in my opinion).

If it is hitherto NOT a known by-product of the cleaning product - then this event will alert them to it.

What happens next is interesting.

Thanks for the feedback though.

But then there's a massive difference between glass and TV screen. A TV screen isn't merely glass. It has a special coating on it which can easily get damaged. In my 4 years of plasma TV ownership, I've never even wiped the screen with a dry cloth / duster, leave alone using a cleaning solution.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, I don't think you'll get a lot of support on this one. You're putting the emphasis on the cleaning product to list things it shouldn't be used on that look like glass. I suspect if legislation came in to insist on this, such cleaning products would need to be sold in a box to allow for the inclusion of a leaflet (that no one would read incidentally) to include all the possible glass like constructions available in the world that shouldn't have the cleaning product applied to them (just in case).

Meanwhile, you've got the TV manual which did state not to use your cleaning product on it. If you'd read it, you wouldn't even be talking about the above requirement. Time to hold up your hands and take some responsibility I'm afraid, rather than trying to shift the blame on to someone who is genuinely blameless in this instance.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,
I'm with the majority on this.
The TV manual clearly states what NOT to use but you go ahead and use it anyway and it seems not for the first time...nobody to blame but yourself.
See it as divine intervention and purchase a new TV.
Cheers,
Cofnchtr.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Page 2 of the user manual states :read:

"CAUTION

To prevent scratches or damages to the plasma screen, do not

knock or rub the surface with sharp or hard objects. Clean the

screen with a soft cloth moistened with warm water and dry with a

Do not use harsh or abrasive cleaners!"

Argh.

Emphasis on 'soapy' most detergents even the good ones contain salt, not good for the screens!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I bought a belt sander today, and I can't find anything in the manual about not removing light scratches from the bezel on my tv with it, so do you think it'll be ok?
evil.png

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I use glass cleaner on my plasma, but only on occasion, and only a light squirt on a cloth. If I did damage the coating I wouldn't blame anyone but myself, as I'm aware what the TV manual states about cleaning.

If I were you, I'd go and buy another bottle of the cleaner, and really give the screen a good going over, you never know, you may be able to remove all the coating, leaving just plain glass.

Side note: I've just walked over to my Panasonic TV and gave the screen a knock - I can't be sure but it feels like there is a plastic screen infront of the actual glass

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Binman said:
I use glass cleaner on my plasma, but only on occasion, and only a light squirt on a cloth. If I did damage the coating I wouldn't blame anyone but myself, as I'm aware what the TV manual states about cleaning.

If I were you, I'd go and buy another bottle of the cleaner, and really give the screen a good going over, you never know, you may be able to remove all the coating, leaving just plain glass.

Side note: I've just walked over to my Panasonic TV and gave the screen a knock - I can't be sure but it feels like there is a plastic screen infront of the actual glass

Would a belt sander fix this?

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
Please be sure not to gargle with this product or use as shampoo, nor a myriad of other uses, that a little common sense and the reading of Hitachis user manual would tell you not to do.
Pretty dumb ass really and now you want someone else to take the blame for your indolent and ignorant actions.
Damn the litigation society attitude..........Lawyers for dumbassu?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
woodster said:
Please be sure not to gargle with this product or use as shampoo, nor a myriad of other uses, that a little common sense and the reading of Hitachis user manual would tell you not to do. Pretty dumb ass really and now you want someone else to take the blame for your indolent and ignorant actions. Damn the litigation society attitude..........Lawyers for dumbassu?

I just hate it when people sit on the fence. :O

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I bought a belt sander today, and I can't find anything in the manual about not removing light scratches from the bezel on my tv with it, so do you think it'll be ok?
evil.png

That sounds like a perfectly acceptable and sensible use of a belt sander. I also understand that they are very good at stimulating head hair follicles to prevent going bald or needing to use hair dye. :doh:

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello RobH,

I'm sorry about the damage to your screen. There, but for the grace of God go I, and all that. I've only ever used a slightly damp kitchen towel to gently clean my TV screens, certainly not any cleaning product. We'll all learn from your mishap!

Folk on this forum will be able to help in deciding what new television you should get, if you decide to get a new one. Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts