Plasma running in time?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having just bought my first plasma, I've noticed a lot of people mentioning running-in times of 100hrs or so. What changes occur / what should I expect with the panel over this timeframe from new?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
No changes as such Damien, it's just that it is advisible to run the set at a lower contrast and brightness level for about 100 hours o minimise any risk of screenburn as it is during this period that a new screen can be more at risk.

From personal experience of having had Plasma's for a long time now, you actually get the best proformance out of your TV with these settings low anyway, but it does take a little bit of adjusting your eye.

Bet you are enjoying HALO on it! keep missing you online due to time differance, well that my excuse for not letting you kick my butt and I am sticking to it! lol
emotion-4.gif

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Well I took it easy on my Pany plasma for the 1st 100 hours or so, although being my 1st plasma it was more for peace of mind. I tried to avoid channels with constant channel logo's for the 1st 50 hours as much as I could. And tried to take it easy playing on the PS3, mind you I did have a 4 hour session on GT after only a few hours from new. I also made sure that the picture was fully stretched to cover the whole screen. I had to turn on picture over scan to make sure of this. Just so the whole screen was being used.

My plasma definitely ran alot cooler after 50 hours or so and I swear the picture quality improves during this time. Also the picture settings needed a little bit of tweaking after 50-100 hours of use.

I would avoid any "vivid" picture mode settings and just set it up with the THX optimizer. Then sit back and enjoy.

TBH you have nothing to worry about as this was recommended for much older generation of plasma tv's from a few years back. The technology has moved on alot since then and it's virtually impossible to get screen burn on a recent plasma.

A

Anonymous

Thanks fellas - was just curious what all the fuss was about.

I am running the set with its out-of-the-box settings for now and will look to have it ISF calibrated after about 100hrs or so. I've got all the screen savers turned on on everything connected so it should all be good.

Still got an issue with the screen buzzing on mine - was VERY loud on the first set but Pioneer came out and replaced it same day. This set is much quieter but I can still hear it from my seating position with low volumes sound and for this price, thats not really good enough for me. Pioneer Australia have been exceptional with their service so far so I believe I'll get this sorted to my satisfaction soon. Have you two had any buzzing issues with yours? I didnt realise until I noticed it on mine but now I've investigated it further this seems to be a massive issue which no one seems to be talking about here - there are hundreds of forum posts about this elsewhere.

Hey DJ, definitely try to catch me on halo - get on the team then you can enjoy rolling with us while we're pwning the other team ; ) if you're finding it tricky with the time difference I'm usually on all day on either a Saturday or Sunday so you'll catch me at one hour or another.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
The buzzing issue with plasma's is a interesting one, and having had plasma sets for quite a long time I personally have never had any issues with it but I know 3 other people who purchased recent Panasonic models which all buzzed when certain high-contrase logos were displayed on screen say during adverts or when a channel was plugging a new tv show. All 3 sets have since been replaced by Panasonic UK but their technical people did keep muttering that a certain level of buzzing was NORMAl on a Plasma set.

Now my first Plasma was a 5th generation Panasonic and IMHO the build quality of modern TV's of either Plasma or LCD is nowhere near that of my Panasonic which still lives happily in my bedroom.

Def try and catch you this weekend Damien on Halo
emotion-21.gif

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
All plasma's buzz but some seem to be louder than others. On my Pany you can only notice it doing this if you stand right next to the tv. From a few feet away it's silent.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Some I have listened to were buzzing from the other side of the room but I have also noticed this on some LCD TV's IMHO it all come down to that they are not made as good as they used to be due largely in fact that they are now mass produced compared to a few years ago a bit of a limited clientel and smaller production runs.

A

Anonymous

Still buzzing mate...?

You've got me slightly concerned about them now if it's a 'norm'. After our chats over you getting the Pioneer monitor, I had started thinking about perhaps sourcing the 42" here in Asia, I'm sure there's some left.....But, now, hmm....

Just how loud we talking..? Over the top of the centre speaker at reasonable levels...?ÿ

A

Anonymous

SC:
Still buzzing mate...?

You've got me slightly concerned about them now if it's a 'norm'. After our chats over you getting the Pioneer monitor, I had started thinking about perhaps sourcing the 42" here in Asia, I'm sure there's some left.....But, now, hmm....

Just how loud we talking..? Over the top of the centre speaker at reasonable levels...?ÿ

It really depends on whats on screen and the ambient sound levels though if the sound is low I can hear it - not a lot but its there and I sit 3.5-4m away. This one however is MUCH quieter than the last one which was very loud indeed. What I will say is that Pioneer and my dealer have been excellent and its difficult to knock a company when they're taking a complaint seriously and prepared to do something about it. At this stage they've offered to bring the dealer's display model to my house for comparison as I couldnt hear any buzzing from theirs when I went in to check - so i guess we'll find out if it is the set and a bad batch (the two I've had came from the same batch) or if its just that the accoustics of my room are exascerbating the problem. I'll keep you up to date. Although no one mentioned it before, it seems to be that everyone now says that plasmas do buzz to some extent - inherent in the technology but I tend to agree with DJ that this is down to mass production issues as I'm been around stores and sampled plenty which didnt buzz at all - although it seems to be that all brands have this problem, there seems to be an opinion that Pioneer are worse than most due to the dual rather than triple layer construction they use. I'm no engineer so cant attest to this but thats what I'm getting from the forums dedicated solely to this issue. I'll let you know what the final outcome is. Its frustrating as otherwise, this is an awesome set and the picture is phenomenal. If you're looking at 42" anyway, you'll probably be fine as it appears to be more of an issue with 50 and then a larger issue with 60" sets - bigger screen - bigger buzz.

A

Anonymous

Damien, have you read if it's just the monitors that have the buzzing issue, or the TV models as well...?

I found the 428XG here in a store, no problem, which is cool as I think you just can't get them in the UK now.....But then, I got to thinking about the 50" monitor ! I don't know if you can get them here, will have to check, but I wouldn't need or want the TV model, and I prefer the clean lines of the monitor panels....Will have to check it all out, as a fair bit of my use will be SD,ÿparticularlyÿTV broadcasts here, and the 50" may be too much and a waste...?

I can't remember from the other thread, but how much cheaper did you get the 60" monitor over the TV model - is there a big difference ?ÿ

A

Anonymous

SC:
Damien, have you read if it's just the monitors that have the buzzing issue, or the TV models as well...?

I found the 428XG here in a store, no problem, which is cool as I think you just can't get them in the UK now.....But then, I got to thinking about the 50" monitor ! I don't know if you can get them here, will have to check, but I wouldn't need or want the TV model, and I prefer the clean lines of the monitor panels....Will have to check it all out, as a fair bit of my use will be SD,ÿparticularlyÿTV broadcasts here, and the 50" may be too much and a waste...?

I can't remember from the other thread, but how much cheaper did you get the 60" monitor over the TV model - is there a big difference ?ÿ

From what I've read (and I've read a lot in the past 2 weeks) its pretty much ALL plasma's (from all brands) which can and do have this problem to some degree and Pioneer, due to their unique method of (waffle / 2 pieces glass rather than 3) construction, seem to be more of a culprit than other brands. That is of course offset by the unmatched superiority in picture quality - and in my opinion, there is no comparison. I looked at a LOT of sets before buying the KRP-600M and nothing came close. If you're in the market for a plasma, definitely take a look at the monitors, the picture is awesome. I had the boys round for a pile of BluRays over the weekend and its unbelievable.

I've no idea what price the standard sets cost as they won't be available in Australia until early next year - hence why i opted for the monitor - its the only 9G Pioneer panel available this year in Aus. I believe from what I've read elsewhere that the monitors are approx. the same price as the integrated sets but marginally superior in PQ and have far more calibration options etc (they can have multiple ISF presets calibrated) and are 65mm thick rather than 90mm.

The store model I auditioned was silent beyond 1ft from the screen so I believe my issue is a batch problem so don't be put off. From the service I've received from Pioneer and the store, i am confident I will get this problem resolved - or at least I hope so anyway. Pioneer will be bringing the shop model to my house this week to compare and if I'm happy with that, I'll be keeping that one. Stay tuned if you're concerned - I'll tell it like it is. One thing I would suggest is if you're dragging a set home any distance (which I think you are?), get the dealer to set it up for you and turn everything else off so you can check for buzz before you head home.

Some other forums I read on this issue:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=945491
http://www.audioreview.com/PIONEERPLASMAcrx.aspx
http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=59c9000b19eab8b85f7fd3b7eccd53de&showtopic=23805&st=40&p=1042021&#entry1042021
http://www.highdefforum.com/archive/t-5733.html

There's even a forum thread and poll on the Pioneer 9G buzzing here:- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1044254&page=4

A

Anonymous

Cheers mate, appreciate it.....

I think I'll go for one of the Pioneers, either 42 or the 50 monitor - which, depends on where I site it and whether I need to change the room around, and also the SD performance on the 50....Probably notÿuntil year end at earliest though, like the rest of my upgrade....

ÿHope you get sorted soon...

Cheers, Steveÿ

A

Anonymous

I'm pretty sure I've just been unlucky but will let you know how it goes and I'm pretty certain if you get a non-buzzing one, you'll be very happy. The SD performance on mine is fine - not outstanding but ok and mine's the 60 so the 50 should be fine I'd say. By the way, I got my first look at the Marantz pre/power set on Friday - VERY nice looking peice of kit - just waiting for the store to get it hooked up so I can find out how it sounds. I'm looking at investing in a Thor Powerstation - seems to be well regarded here and we defintely dont have reliable power supply so I'm going to take a look at them.

A

Anonymous

OK, so, unfortunately I've got to make the call - I had the dealer here this afternoon with their shop model which unfortunately was much the same if not a little louder than my set - in the buzzing stakes. The installer agreed and could hear the sound and pitch changing depending on the materials on-screen from behind my sofa - 4m away. Pioneer are at this stage saying that this is normal and inherent in the technology though I have to say, for a $10k tv set, claimed to be the best in the world by Pioneer themselves, this is hardly acceptable.

Swapped out with a current Panasonic model the dealer brought for comparison - the Panasonic was quiet as a mouse - the only sound I can even remotely detect from it was by putting my ear right up to the vent at the back.

So, where to from here I'm not sure - at this stage it looks like I have three options:

Keep the Pioneer set and get used to the buzzing;
Get my money back and try to work out what to do with it;
Research and select a similar size Panasonic model.

I have to say that I cannot recommend this set to anyone who has sensitive hearing. If you can deal with or don't hear the buzz, this an awesome tv - if you are sensitive to this kind of sound - avoid at all costs.

TRENDING THREADS