Plan B (or is it plan C?) and Naim UnitiQute

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Some time ago I mentioned flogging the hifi and getting some cheap 'active'/powered speakers for the telly and a pair of B&W MM-1s for my computer.

Demo'ed the MM-1s and they were great (just as WHF said they were). Thought long and hard and almost bought them. on impulse. two weeks ago (but shop didn't have stock on the day and were not planning to order any).

Even longer ago, I had a plan to get some Harbeth P3ESRs but every time I arranged getting a demo (well twice actually) something financially 'distracting' crashed into my plans so I have concluded that that idea was jinxed!

At the weekend I got a Sony BDP-S370 for £99 and it solved the whole.."BBC iPlayer TV only on computer screen" problem and has diluted the need for MM-1s somewhat.

So plan C (I think) is the Naim UnitiQute for £1350 with my existing N-Sat speakers. Just have to wait for it to be launched, then try it out (hopefully at home) then flog everything else.

Nothing too radical then. It will still be Naim, it will still be the same colour, it will be less powerful (never needed the volume above 9:30 anyway so that won't matter) and it won't have a CD player. (Good.) It will be in one half-width Naim box so only one sixth* of the current system's ugliness (also good) and will have a tiny fraction of the current system's cables (doubleplusgood) with just mains cable. speaker cables, optical and ethernet. It will consume less electricity.

So Naim, where is it?

*One seventh the ugliness if you count the Beresford, which the UnitiQute would also replace.

Hi chebby

Naim are due to start production of the UnitiQute fairly soon.
emotion-1.gif
I think most if not all of the initial UnitiQute's will be demo units before Naim stop production in a few weeks for their two week summer holiday.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you'd be better off keeping what you've got!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:Naim are due to start production of the UnitiQute fairly soon.
emotion-1.gif
I think most if not all of the initial UnitiQute's will be demo units before Naim stop production in a few weeks for their two week summer holiday.

I suspected the Naim annual hols were looming, so I have not set my heart on getting one for some time yet. I think the original target was March, but I guess some component supplier wasn't up to snuff or some other glitch had to be ironed out.

John Duncan

Whilst (if the uniti is anything to go by) I suspect you'd be delighted with a Qute, I can't help thinking that another manufacturer will soon come along with a competitor product at a more reasonable price point. Aren't you only just about going to break even on the swap?

chebby:

Some time ago I mentioned flogging the hifi and getting some cheap 'active'/powered speakers for the telly and a pair of B&W MM-1s for my computer.

Demo'ed the MM-1s and they were great (just as WHF said they were). Thought long and hard and almost bought them. on impulse. two weeks ago (but shop didn't have stock on the day and were not planning to order any).

Even longer ago, I had a plan to get some Harbeth P3ESRs but every time I arranged getting a demo (well twice actually) something financially 'distracting' crashed into my plans so I have concluded that that idea was jinxed!

At the weekend I got a Sony BDP-S370 for £99 and it solved the whole.."BBC iPlayer TV only on computer screen" problem and has diluted the need for MM-1s somewhat.

So plan C (I think) is the Naim UnitiQute for £1350 with my existing N-Sat speakers. Just have to wait for it to be launched, then try it out (hopefully at home) then flog everything else.

Nothing too radical then. It will still be Naim, it will still be the same colour, it will be less powerful (never needed the volume above 9:30 anyway so that won't matter) and it won't have a CD player. (Good.) It will be in one half-width Naim box so only one sixth* of the current system's ugliness (also good) and will have a tiny fraction of the current system's cables (doubleplusgood) with just mains cable. speaker cables, optical and ethernet. It will consume less electricity.

So Naim, where is it?

*One seventh the ugliness if you count the Beresford, which the UnitiQute would also replace.

This is out of character for you, Chebby. Usually you are very decisive and fluid in thought, but you've gone from Cambridge, Harbeths, MMs and now the Qute. Like Iggle said, I think you should stick rather than twist....
emotion-4.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Sounds like you'd be better off keeping what you've got!

I don't have your tolerance for a high box/cable count and don't use a CD player any more. (Boxed, transit screw fixed, and stored under stairs for a while now.)

The FM only tuner is creeping slowly towards being a 'paperweight' by EOY 2015 (or some time before/after depending on the politics). So it makes sense to sell it whilst a market for it exists.

That leaves an amp that is twice the width of a UnitiQute, is more powerful than I need, and has no built in DAC or streaming facility.

Also, the regular system dis-assemble/clean/re-assemble routine is a PITA and I am relishing the idea of just a few cables and one small all-in-one system component again.

A

Anonymous

I'm sure my box-count tolerance will run out sooner or later; probably when MF announce a PSU for the PSU for the CDP. Are you going to audition the Uniti as well as the Qute?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Are you going to audition the Uniti as well as the Qute?

I have auditioned the Naim Uniti three times already. It sounds about as good as my present system. (Well it should, it has a lot of my system in it.)

However, it has an unwanted CD player built in and I don't want to pay for bits I don't need.

A

Anonymous

Well, good luck with it! Smart little system at the very least.

A

Anonymous

Hi Chebby,

I really fancied the UnitiQute too, but as it was taking so long to be launched I thought I'd give the Linn Sneaky DS an audition just to see if it was any good. I had my reservations because of the power (20wpc), and I really love Naim gear too, but it sounded awesome paired with some Rega RS3s. I ended up buying the DS and a pair of mint used Linn Ninkas and I got them both for the same price as the UnitiQute! The DS also gives you the option of upgrading via power amps if you so choose. Mighty good piece of kit and I heartily recommend an audition!

manicm

PlasticinePorter:

Hi Chebby,

I really fancied the UnitiQute too, but as it was taking so long to be launched I thought I'd give the Linn Sneaky DS an audition just to see if it was any good. I had my reservations because of the power (20wpc), and I really love Naim gear too, but it sounded awesome paired with some Rega RS3s. I ended up buying the DS and a pair of mint used Linn Ninkas and I got them both for the same price as the UnitiQute! The DS also gives you the option of upgrading via power amps if you so choose. Mighty good piece of kit and I heartily recommend an audition!

Yeah, I wouldn't expect the UnitiQute to sound the same as the Sneaky, but heck the Qute should still sound the business. Plus it's a heck of a lot more versatile than the single purpose Sneaky.

Then again I'm waiting for WHF <*wink wink*> to get their mitts on Marantz's new mini Blu-ray system - also a mini system but with digital iPod input - could replace my entire system in one go if its AV performance is up to par.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
manicm:Then again I'm waiting for WHF <*wink wink*> to get their mitts on Marantz's new mini Blu-ray system - also a mini system but with digital iPod input - could replace my entire system in one go if its AV performance is up to par.

You and us both...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts