PIONEER SCLX71 HAS JUST BLOWN UP!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
ARGH!!! I have just been watching 'The Incerdible Hulk' on sky hd and my brand new Pioneer sclx71 av receiver has literally just blown up!! I thought it was a special effect from the film until the the smell hit me and obviously the tv screen went black!!

The receiver is more than well ventilated and was actually cool when I touched it- had only been switched on for about 25 mins! There was a loud bang and a bright flash that came from the top of it (I think) when it occured...great...I've only had it about 3 weeks!

Maybe it was the hulk that decided to do it... "don't make me angry..."

I bought it online from MultiZone Av- hopefully they will have another one to replace it with as everywhere else was out of stock and I think they were the last place I tried that had any left when I bought it about 3 weeks ago!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Most retailers would need to find out why the amp has blown in the first place before commencing with a replacement - if the fault was due to misuse, replacing with another one is a license for it to happen again. If the fault is with the amp itself, then it would be replaced. With adequate ventilation, I can't see why it would just give up on it's own, as it has been working fine for 3 weeks.

I think you'll be lucky to get an 81 amp at the moment - rarer than a really rare thing.

A

Anonymous

I know- absoloutely nowhere has the '71 in stock! the annoying thing is that I finally tracked down a stockist, got the receiver as it matches my blu ray player (Pioneer BDP51FD) and the whole setup looked fantastic!! Now it looks like I may have to wait a while before the receiver gets sent to Pioneer and repaired (it indeed it can be) if not then Im not sure what to do...ÿ

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
'Most retailers would need to find out why the amp has blown in the first place before commencing with a replacement!'

Not sure about that I think you have 28 or 30 days especially if bought online. Something to do with distance selling and not fit for the purpose intended.

That is also why places like John Lewis will just replace if something is faulty before the 30 days.

I might be wrong. And will probably be told so! Just phone your Credit Card company and get the payment stopped as its faulty and will be insured for 100 days. Only if they don't play ball but I would call them and ask your rights as they will be experts.

I had 3 (yes 3) Arcam Movie Solo 5.1's before I got one that didn't blow the HDMI board! I did have it pre-ordered though as it was not out so I would think it was just teething problems as all good now. The dealer just replaced it, no questions asked.

Also if you have it on finance then that is also another can of worms and the law is on your side!

A

Anonymous

Thanks h4ardy,

ÿ

unfortunately I have got it on finance- and yes it does seem like a can of worms! Multizone AV have said that I dont get 28 or 30 days but just 7 days and that relates to something that is faulty, say when it is delivered. They have said that if it is a water fault or something wrong with my electrical supply then I will not be covered under the manufacturers warranty. I assured them that I have not suddenly decided to pour water into it and there is nothing wrong with my electrical supply! I asked under what circumstances they would exchange it and the woman I spoke to said she was not prepared to go into that with me over the phone!

ÿ

I was always led to beleive that if something went faulty within a reasonably short space of time, ie 3-4 weeks, then the retailer should replace it and not refer me to the manufacturer for repair- and in any case- I would prefer a new one not a repaired model as obviously, my faith in that one has been shaken and I will be asking myself- "is it about to blow up again?" whenever I switch it on!!

A

Anonymous

This relates to a post I put up yesterday entitled PIONEER SCLX71 HAS JUST BLOWN UP!!

ÿ

I was just wondering if anyone out there (maybe a what hifi sound and vision staff member perhaps? ÿ;) ÿ) could offer me a definative answer- if indeed there is one. The short story is this:

Bought a PIONEER SCLX71 A/V Receiver on finance on line from MULTI ZONE AV on 280409.

On evening of 220509 a loud bang, flash and puff of smoke came from the unit whilst watching tv- it had only been turned on for about 25 mins. Unit stopped working.

On morning of 230509 contacted retailer and asked re: replacement. Retailer stated that the unit would have to be sent away to Pioneer to be evaluated and indeed to see if it was user error that caused the fault. If indeed it was then tough.

All I can say is that the unit was working perfectly for the time that I used it. It is WELL ventilated and infact immediately after the 'explosion' I felt the unit to see if it was hot and it was quite cool in temperature- and at no point did I decide to randomly pour water into the unit!!

Having examined the plug socket into which it was connected, there are no scorch marks, the socket works fine with other appliances and nothing tripped out on my consumer unit.

What are my options?

Thanks to anyone in advance that can help me!!ÿ

ÿ

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I think you misunderstood me, I meant this:

I think that if you have it on finance and you contact the finance company they are legally bound to sort it for you.

I am not 100% but it goes something like this: You buy an amp on finance and it blows up, as technically you do not own the goods and the finance company do, they have to sort it out as its their problem?

They are correct about the 7 days, kind of, but its the cooling off period not the faulty goods period.

I would contact the finance company as even if you have it on deferred interest i.e Buy Now Pay Later, you technically do not own the goods, I think?

I found this on the www.berr.gov.uk website too.

Sale of Goods Fact Sheet for further information.

If the matter cannot be resolved to your satisfaction, contact Consumer Direct at: www.consumerdirect.gov.uk (Tel: 08454 04 05 06). Consumers in Northern Ireland should contact Consumer Line on 0845 600 6262.

Glad to help as it really gets my goat, retailers making the rules up.

Sevenoaks have always been good to me though.

idc

Have a look here for general information on your rights under the Sale of Goods Act I think that the retailer is entitled to check any claim and considering what happened and how new the item was you should be looking for a replacement.

Did you buy with a credit card? If so you could also contact them if you have no joy with the retailer. Be polite, reasonable and be prepared to be patient. Write everything down that has happened as if this drags on it is amazing how things become uncertain, so include dates, names of who you speak to and actions you want and are suggested to you.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all that have replied- I'll let you know how i get on!!

A

Anonymous

i have absoloutely no idea!! it was like that when i logged on before!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts