Pioneer BDP-LX53 versus BDP-430 for raw quality...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to replace/upgrade my Sony BDP-S570 as I have never been happy with the player from day one. It emits a high pitched whine, which I assume is a fault rather than the norm. The build quality is hardly the best either. It looks, and feels like a budget player (not that I'm surprised but the remote is surprisingly cheap!).

I am looking at Pioneer players (as you may have figured by the title of this post) and am wanting a bit of reassurance that I am chosing the best player for my money. I am going to be taking my Sony back to Richer Sounds for a refund (due to the very irritating whine) and I don't want to spend a lot extra on a replacement. I am therefore looking for a player at around £200 - £250.

I had a Pioneer player before and was very happy with it but wanted a player with network features, hence getting the Sony. A move I lived to regret from day 1! I am as a result looking at the newer Pioneer players with network features and have narrowed it down to the BDP-LX53 and the BDP-430. What are peoples' opinions of these players? From what I gather, the LX53 should be a better player as it is from the LX range, so I would imagine build, sound and picture quality should be superior to that of the 430. Would I be correct in making such an assumption? If my assumption is correct, then I believe the LX53 will be the player for me as those 3 factors are the most important to me.

The list of features for both players seems almost identical, apart from the LX53 not supporting 3D content but that's not something that bothers me while the technology still has a lot of room for improvement.

Is the LX53 a superior player in terms of raw quality over the 430?

Cheers!

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Taking it that the Only difference between an LX 53 and 54 is 3D........ the main difference between a 54 and 430 is the 54 has

Armoured Chassis (making it heavier) , Improved Quality Audio Parts ,greater network functions ie New Firmware/Software Notification and an extra port (1 x RS232C Control).

So in theory and on paper the LX 53 is a superior player.

As to how much difference you actually see an hear is subjective.

In your case if you don't want/need 3D then the LX53 or even an LX52 would make greater sense.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Dougolada,

As V1c has rightly pointed out, if 3D is of no concern to you, go for the BDP-LX52 - the last true Pioneer product and one that is seriously worthy of consideration given it's current price.

Ronald

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm considering this player as well.

Could anyone advise how it compares, performance wise, with newer players, or whether it would represent a clear upgrade over the Sony BDP-S370?

EDIT: Should have mentioned, I've been looking at the LX52, not the LX53 discussed in the original post. As it's an older player, I'm wondering if it's now bettered by cheaper alternatives?

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Strapped For Cash,

I have both, and the LX-52 is clearly better in terms of picture and sound, although the S370 offers more in terms of functionality.

Only the Denon DVD-2500BT beats the LX-52 outright for both picture and sound (IMO).

Ronald

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Ronald.

From my perspective it's all about sound and picture quality. The extra functionality of the 370 is of little interest, as it's rare that I access iPlayer or YouTube via my BDP, while the other internet features become boring quickly, in my opinion.

Can you advise how the LX52 performs with stereo? Finally, I wonder how it would compare, overall, with the Cambridge Audio BD650 (which seems in very short supply now).

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Strapped For Cash,

The stereo performance of the LX-52 is reasonable although I have a dedicated system for music.

A blu-ray player is primarily for movies, where it's sonic qualities are appreciated, and that the LX-52 does very competently.

My DVD-2500BT though is still the best among the three for picture and sound quality.

Ronald

A

Anonymous

Ronald Archiebald said:
Dougolada,

As V1c has rightly pointed out, if 3D is of no concern to you, go for the BDP-LX52 - the last true Pioneer product and one that is seriously worthy of consideration given it's current price.

Ronald

So with the LX-52 the "last true Pioneer", how much of a difference is there between this and the LX-53? I am interested in the network capabilities of the LX-53 hence my choice. Would I be better going for the LX-52 and getting a dedicated network streamer, or am I not likely to notice the difference on the blu-ray side of things?

A

Anonymous

Picture and sound quality are the most important things to me, but is there that much of a difference between the LX-52 and the LX-53 in terms of quality?

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Ronald Archiebald said:
Strapped For Cash,

The stereo performance of the LX-52 is reasonable although I have a dedicated system for music.

A blu-ray player is primarily for movies, where it's sonic qualities are appreciated, and that the LX-52 does very competently.

My DVD-2500BT though is still the best among the three for picture and sound quality.

Ronald

Ronald does the Denon have analogue hifi interconnect ports for a hifi amp to connect? Can you expand on the sound quality of the denon compared to the other models you have. This player actual sounds like what ive been looking for. Im looking to upgrade and currently got a Sony S360.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
sheehanjuk said:
Ronald does the Denon have analogue hifi interconnect ports for a hifi amp to connect? Can you expand on the sound quality of the denon compared to the other models you have. This player actual sounds like what ive been looking for. Im looking to upgrade and currently got a Sony S360.

It possesses a powerful, yet very detailed and dynamic sound quality - it simply is fabulous, really!

A

Anonymous

Hi

I own a pioneer 320 which i am very happy with but now the LX52 or more affordable i am tempted to try one.

Can anyone tell me if I would see much diference between it and the 320 ?

Thanks.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Good question bearing in mind the What HiFi review said "We were massively impressed with the £400 Pioneer BDP-320, but the BDP-LX52 is well worth the extra cash should your budget stretch"

I would suggest a demo if you can get one, iv'e seen them as low as £180 new & less used.

A

Anonymous

Yes they were right I am very impressed which is my reason for the question the LX52 must be some machine if it is better than the BDP320 and if it is I am willing to give it a go.

The only downside is the rate at which players are altering older machines don't get you enough money back when you sell them on.

Thanks for the reply.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, I was planning on buying the LX-54 today but it wasn't to be... I know I said I wasn't bothered about 3D, but if they improve the technology in the TVs in the near future I would hate to have to upgrade my BDP again. I was originally put off the LX-54 by the difference in price of about £200 over the LX-53, but I have since seen it for £299 including P&P, which makes it very attractive.

My plan was to take my Sony BDP back to Richer sounds due to the aforementioned fault and exchange it for a lX-54 and ask them to pricematch AV Land. A quick phonecall to see if they have it in stock, and it turns out they don't stock that model! According to the guy on the phone, Pioneer are picky with what stores they allow to stock their players and as a result, the Newcastle store don't stock the player.

Time for plan B... Do I order online from AV Land? Does anyone have any/much experience of what they are like to deal with? Can anyone suggest anywhere else I can get one at or around the same price?

Cheers all!

D

Deleted member 2457

dougolada said:
Hmm, I was planning on buying the LX-54 today but it wasn't to be... I know I said I wasn't bothered about 3D, but if they improve the technology in the TVs in the near future I would hate to have to upgrade my BDP again. I was originally put off the LX-54 by the difference in price of about £200 over the LX-53, but I have since seen it for £299 including P&P, which makes it very attractive.

My plan was to take my Sony BDP back to Richer sounds due to the aforementioned fault and exchange it for a lX-54 and ask them to pricematch AV Land. A quick phonecall to see if they have it in stock, and it turns out they don't stock that model! According to the guy on the phone, Pioneer are picky with what stores they allow to stock their players and as a result, the Newcastle store don't stock the player.

Time for plan B... Do I order online from AV Land? Does anyone have any/much experience of what they are like to deal with? Can anyone suggest anywhere else I can get one at or around the same price?

Cheers all!

Hi

Yeah, AV-Land are fine, i have been there a couple of times, had a demo there once as well - nice guys. Also emailed them not too long ago and got a really good reply back too.

A

Anonymous

Hi Just thought I would say I have managed to pick up a six month old Pioneer LX52 for £130 Should arrive today then I can see if it is better than the 320. I also had chance to compare the 320 with a LG BX580 and a Samsung 5900 last week, I would say that the Samsung was the worse of the two picture and sound not as good, the LG was a better picture but again the sound was not up to much. I tested with some movies like saving private ryan and foo fighters live at wembley and as I say the Pioneer was a clear leader I will be well chuffed if the what hifi review is correct and it outshines the 320! All I will need to do then is get a decent price for the 320. Bc.

A

Anonymous

Hi
In case anyone wants to know, the what hifi review was correct the LX52 does outshine the BDP320. The picture is better and the sound is much better. For what is now a replaced machine I was most impressed.

Bc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts