Pioneer A-400 vs Pioneer A300R Precision amps

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
recently upgraded my son's Pioneer A400 amp to a Pioneer A300R Precision (as modified by Tom Evans) .... after searching for one for many months

collected the amp earlier this week, and only connected it earlier this morning to do a comparitive test, as have sold the A400 to a mate who will collect it tommorow

The A400 is pretty good, and I have always suggested these to people who have a lower budget .... however, there is a huge difference between the A300R and A400 ...

The soundstage is huge on the A300R and bass is much better and treble is crystal clear when compared to the A400 .... Soundstage is the biggest difference ... and has more detail

this was a very good buy at £113 ...

Tom Evans had various levels of mods for these .... The one I bought is the stage 1 mod and has a red LED ....The top of the range A300R Precision has a blue LED and mods are referred to as 'The full Monty' ... if you manage to get your hands on an A300R Precision and it has the red LED, you can still have the 'Full Monty' done by Tom Evans for £550 .... if you get one with the 'Full monty', you have hit the jackpot ... some who own the 'Full Monty' have compared it to ampsof over £3000 and say it is better ... only downside is that the 'Full Monty' looses the phono stage

He also tweaked the A400 and this was called the A400GTE .... I have been told, that although the A300R Precision has less power (45 watts @ 8 Ohs), sonically it is better than the A400GTE

I have the amp connected to my current system (B&W DM2 and a Marantz CD63 MKII K1 sig and the hitachi speaker cables) ... I will take the amp to a hifi shop in cambridge next week and compare it to the Naim Nait 5i ... if the Pioneer is as good or better then the Naim (as many claim it to be), I will pay the £550 next year for the 'Full Monty' mods

so for those looking for an A400, or those who own an A400 (which normally sells between £100 and £160 on ebay), if you spot an A300R precision, grab it ... they are rare, but do appear on ebay from £80-£200 from time to time

A

Anonymous

Hi dim_span, thanks for sharing the info.

I own an A300R precision and I am more or less at "mind-set" state to go for the "full monty" upgrade. However I wanted to know whether you have already done and if yes what is your verdict wrt money well spent or not.

regards,

gvelim:

I own an A300R precision and I am more or less at "mind-set" state to go for the "full monty" upgrade. However I wanted to know whether you have already done and if yes what is your verdict wrt money well spent or not.

regards,

This is a very old thead and as such the OP no longer frequents the forum.

There are many others who may be able to help in this area of classic amps. I've experience of old Pioneer stuff, but not the aforementioned models.

plastic penguin:gvelim:

regards,

This is a very old thead and as such the OP no longer frequents the forum.

There are many others who may be able to help in this area of classic amps. I've experience of old Pioneer stuff, but not the aforementioned models.

You are right it is an old post. Whilst I can only agree with the findings I am not sure whether Tom Evans still does the mods for the A300R or not. I will check when I see him next as I am afraid there is one less A300R Preciscion in the world - Tom is currently modifying mine to produce a stereo power amp out of it.

Should sound terrific!

If you are interested though keep looking as is a brilliant bit of kit. You may have to pay more than quoted for one though, I had to stump up £220.

A

Anonymous

The A300R is with Tom and is undergoing the "Full Monty" upgrade, hopefully by end of the week will be back home hence I should be posting some first impressions.

Dear, dear, dear - that sounds like a lot of money for an amp that's only worth about £60-£80 on the s/h market.

My old Marantz tuner needs a couple of bulbs which blew a few years ago, I was quoted somewhere in the region of £80-£90. You can probably imagine the bulbs haven't been replaced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts