Pink Triangle LPT Damage

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Greetings!

Advice needed to a rather sticky problem.

I have a Pink Triangle LPT turntable which I purchased new 20yrs ago.

Unfortunatley during a house move both lid hinges and the arm were damaged.

The lid was damaged but I have found a replacement.

I have tried to source replacement lid hinges but with no luck, I contacted the funk firm who suggested ebay but no joy there so far.

My question is this...

Do I replace the arm on the turntable (RB300) and worry about the lid later or would todays crop of budget turntables perform as well as the LPT considering it is now 20yrs old?

I would rather save the LPT if I can but the search for hinges is proving fruitless.

Many thanks,

Dave

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow, long time since I've heard a PT mentioned. I auditioned one before I bought my Rock. I've not heard a new TT for a while so I can't really comment except to say that my Rock sounds as good as it ever did so can't see why a new arm shouldn't restore your PT to glory, providing everything else is still in tip top condidtion.

A

Anonymous

Super glue hinges maybe, but how long will that last?

Not a perfect solution

As far as arm is concerned it is beyond repair

A very good TT in it's day. I would keep it and ditch the lid.

All TT's with lids sound better when they are removed during playback.

Replace the arm with Origin Live's Alliance or, better still, Onyx tonearm then get a simple acrylic 'box' type cover to go over the complete TT. Result = a very good TT again. :)

Plenty of these covers available on the internet.

A

Anonymous

I have been in touch with a dealer regarding origin arm and they said they had experience of them having reliability issues, bad bearings etc.

can anyone confirm this as I quite like the look of the origin alliance arm but have never seen one in action

A

Anonymous

Reply from deco audio regarding OL alliance tonearm query:

"I'm not a huge fan of the OL arms, historically I've had quite a few here over the years and I've not been very impressed by the engineering (bearing and wiring problems mainly), however I have not seen their current models up close so cannot comment on them. The Alliance is at a very good price point, and there's not much out there to compete with it (apart from modified Rega arms of course), so it is in a good place in the market and possibly worth trying because of that."

Are the new OL arms a reliable option these days, were the older arms not so good or was the dealer unlucky.

I have since had feedback from my local dealer "Vickers" in York, who sadly do not deal with origin live any more.

Their advice was to go for a Rega 301 or save up and have a Michell Techno arm fitted.

I did not really want to spend £549 on a Technoarm but are they really twice as good?

I really like the look of the alliance tonearm and to me it looks as well put together as the technoarm, obviously the internal wiring must be of higher quality and maybe the counter weight too.

Has anyone auditioned the 2 arms side by side? I guess the answer is a no, but would be interested to know if the alliance tonearm would compare well up against an arm twice the price when in essence they are Rega "type" arms?

A

Anonymous

Just done a "Origin Live" search on the forums.

Saw post "Origin Live :-("

One of the reply's was: "Just console yourself with the fact you dodged a bullet, Origin Live tonearms are junk anyway. The only company I know who can take a Rega arm and make it worse plus charge for the step backwards."

This is rather worrying lol

Who to believe, now I'm getting a headache lol

theaceface said:
Just done a "Origin Live" search on the forums.

Saw post "Origin Live :-("

One of the reply's was: "Just console yourself with the fact you dodged a bullet, Origin Live tonearms are junk anyway. The only company I know who can take a Rega arm and make it worse plus charge for the step backwards."

This is rather worrying lol

Who to believe, now I'm getting a headache lol

You will always find someone who is unhappy with their lot and they are usually the ones that are most vocal.

I'll bet you didn't find too many other comments like that.

Might I suggest you listen more towards the reviews of other hifi mags and professional reviewers.

Take a look at the r3eviews on Origin Live website itself for example, and yes I know they are hardly likely to print any bad reviews, but the bredth of responses is clear. Read a few reviews in other hifi mags about any Origin Live arm and see if you can find a bad one.

Personally I have run 3 Origin Live arms (including my current one) and two of their modified Regas. I've never had a problem with any of them and they all bettered my old Rega RB300 by a long way.

GaryKingII

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a PT1 with a brill Syrinx PU3 + Ortofon MC20 Super, my PT is also damaged, by a house move as well, the lid is cracked but the hinges are good, just a little superficial damage to the TT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts