Picture Discs - A Few Questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have a few questions regarding picture discs:

1. Do they sound as good as a normal vinyl version of the same record/180G vinyl version?

2. Does the picture/artwork on the disc itself ever deteriorate? Even if you play the record a lot?

3. How are you supposed to clean picture discs? Can you use all of the same cleaning fluids etc. that you would use for a standard record or will it damage the picture/artwork?

4. Are picture discs for actual playing or more for show/collectibility? If I do buy picture disc versions of albums, is it worth picking up a standard version as the main version that I will use for playing/listening to?

Thanks for your help.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
1. Not in my experience, no. In fact, due to the clear vinyl they seem to have a great deal more surface noise.

2. Again, not IME. Mainly as the picture seems to be within the disc, not printed on it.

3. See point 4, and you won't need to clean them.

4. Show. I wouldn't ever buy a picture disc for sound, only for memorabilia. Normal vinyl is nearly always far better sounding.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Shaped picture discs are worse because they often cause the playing area to be compressed to fit the shape, I got a back-stage pass shaped pic disc of a Dave Lee Roth single when I was younger, the playing area is no more than about 4 inches across and it sounds awful, completely unlistenable, no bass whatsoever, sounded like it wasn't coming through a phono stage (it was, it was built in to the record deck I was using at the time).

It does vary though, some of the pic discs I used to buy don't sound too bad, I think the material is harder than normal vinyl, the picture seems to be a print that's sandwiched between two layers of clear "vinyl", so it won't wear out.

I've never noticed any issues with coloured vinyl though, usually seems to sound the same (I've got red, yellow and black vinyl editions of a PWEI 12" and I can't tell the difference between any of them).

A

Anonymous

Normal black vinyl records have additives in the mix which are almost like a dry lubricant giving the record a smoother finish to the groove and quieter surface-hence lower noise. Clear vinyl obviously does not contain such things. I have a few 'picture discs' from the 70's and 80's and also the standard issues of same albums-the picture discs are noticably noisier. These records are more of a collectable 'novelty' rather than the best in sound. The picture is sandwiched between the two sides of clear vinyl, rather like a giant centre label, so it won't wear away with playing.

nads

fatboyslimfast said:
1. Not in my experience, no. In fact, due to the clear vinyl they seem to have a great deal more surface noise.

not in my experiance.

I would not say that this

img2036jx9.jpg

sounds any different to this

img2306gs4.jpg

But the sound from this

img2298vq4.jpg

may be a little different but it is not the colour of the plastic. but maybe the depth of the groove.

it still sounds very good.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Had a few picture discs back in the 80's and were so noisy I vowed never to buy any more.

EDIT- I do have some coloured vinyl and these do not have any more surface noise than black vinyl so I am more than happy to buy them.......oh and I must admit that having Alicia Keys' purple vinyl playing does look rather cool ;)

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
d3moliti0n said:
2. Does the picture/artwork on the disc itself ever deteriorate?

Discolouration MAY occur; I have many picture discs bought in the 1980s that are still in the same condition as when originally purchased, but also have one that has become severely discoloured.

All have been kept in the same light/heat conditions in the same location and none have ever been played, so I have absolutely no idea what has caused this to happen to one single disc.

Not wonderfully helpful information to impart, I know, but worth bearing in mind that deterioration is possible when considering how much to spend on a picture disc.

Also consider that some picture discs (and coloured vinyl) that may be available both on auction sites and at record fairs are not "official" releases.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts