Picking a TV is a nightmare

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
If you have read some of my recent TV threads, you will know that I'm returning a Panasonic because of the problems that surround the 2010 plasmas. But it's a nightmare trying to find a replacement, I'm locked to a certain seller due to a refund, but even if that was not the case, I still don't think, if I put my hand on my heart, there is a single TV out there at the moment that I would not be weary of buying at the moment. Panasonic: numerous problems with the 2010 range. Sony: worries about backlighting ( after sending one back, I don't want to find another problem and have to send it back) Samsung: The Plasma that I had suffered from IR and I had a PS50B850 which I had to send back due to buzzing, don't like the LED auto dimming and had problems with a UE46B7020 that had to go back. LG: no real experience with these, but I have heard of IR and some other niggles. Sharp: not usually the best although I am tempted by th 46LE821 for it's aesthetics. I have even looked at doubling the refund budget to see if going up to the next level of purchase I.e. £2kish and I just do not think this will address any of my concerns (not interested in 3D by the way). So I'm down to a Sharp 46LE821, Sony 46ex713 and samsung PS50C6900, as I don't see an advantage going in the £2K bracket. The other option is to ask for a refund and bring my Pioneer 507XD out of retirement in the bedroom. It's so frustrating because it's taking up so much time, time I should be spending demoing speaker upgrades, AHH, I want to go and sort out my Possible Apex purchase (that's another thread).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
have you looked at the LG 50PX990? It's a stunning set available for under £1000 (or £1500 at worst) As i've said already elsewhere today, it's the set I would buy if looking for a 46-50in set at sensible money...

A

Anonymous

Yeh, Thanks Claire.

Maybe I should have mentioned the retailer in question, play.com ( who have very quickly agreed to replace the Panny, excellent customer service response) don't stock that model. And most retailers have increased it's price by around £200 at the moment (which will eat into my speaker upgrade budget).

With all the TV replacements and problems I have had over the past 12 months, I just don't think in I can be bothered getting the money back and going elsewhere.

Do you happen to have a view on which is the best from 3 I have mentioned...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well as we haven't seen a five-star Sony EX713 model, and i'm not sold on the Sharp, i'd go for the Samsung.

But if you could get your money back, it'd obviously give you so many more options (including the 2011 sets, hitting shops from next month...)

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I've just fired off an email requesting a refund, we'll see what response I get!

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes buying a TV is a nightmare. I made the big mistake of buying a TX-42G20B from Comet, which made a buzzing sound. Comet tried to tell me that buzzing was a feature of plasma TV's. After 2 weeks I eventually got a refund, but Comet fought me all the way, They just don't like giving money back and I had to threaten legal action. I would seriously advise people never buy a TV from Comet, the worst/rudest and most incompetent customer service I have ever had the misfortune to receive.

Not deterred, I purchased the same model form House of Fraser (Tech 7), who assured me that they had never had a problem with buzzing. You guessed it, as soon as I got it home it buzzed. The box had also been resealed, so I don't believe the TV was even new.

Not deterred, with Panasonic out of the game, I bought a Sony KDL-40NX713. Lovely looking TV when switched off, when switched on it is was suffering from backlight bleeding. When I mentioned this to the retailer I was met with stony silence, it was as though I had blasphemed.

Currently waiting an inspection from their engineer. One thing that is very apparent, is the change in attitude when you try and return something.

After this debacle is resolved I am seriously considering doing without a TV. Poor quality retailers, peddling poorly designed products.

michael hoy

SonofSun:
Yes buying a TV is a nightmare. I made the big mistake of buying a TX-42G20B from Comet, which made a buzzing sound. Comet tried to tell me that buzzing was a feature of plasma TV's. After 2 weeks I eventually got a refund, but Comet fought me all the way, They just don't like giving money back and I had to threaten legal action. I would seriously advise people never buy a TV from Comet, the worst/rudest and most incompetent customer service I have ever had the misfortune to receive.

Not deterred, I purchased the same model form House of Fraser (Tech 7), who assured me that they had never had a problem with buzzing. You guessed it, as soon as I got it home it buzzed. The box had also been resealed, so I don't believe the TV was even new.

Not deterred, with Panasonic out of the game, I bought a Sony KDL-40NX713. Lovely looking TV when switched off, when switched on it is was suffering from backlight bleeding. When I mentioned this to the retailer I was met with stony silence, it was as though I had blasphemed.

Currently waiting an inspection from their engineer. One thing that is very apparent, is the change in attitude when you try and return something.

After this debacle is resolved I am seriously considering doing without a TV. Poor quality retailers, peddling poorly designed products.

I bought the Sony KDL-40NX713 and from Comet, the set suffered from really bad backlight bleed and after an engineer visit the set was written off.

The manager in Comet was very polite and understanding, he did try to make me an offer on various TVs but when I told him all I wanted was a refund he said OK and the money was refunded to my card the day after.

I do agree that it is hard to find a TV from the current models and I just hope the 2011 sets will be better.

A

Anonymous

The only ones I am considering buying is, and after 2 weeks of demos.

Samsung LE46C750 and 650.

LG 47LE8900, But hard to find, and the PX990. I think it will look to big though.

and the LX series, flagship LG TV looks amazing but way out of budget.

The 7000 and 8000 samsung LED looks good as well.

A

Anonymous

I've added the 47LE8900 & 50PX990 to the list, I will have a look at those, a friend has the 46c8000, IMO it's over rated, no real advancement in picture to the 46B7020 I had last year, I don't like the auto dimming, once you notice it, it annoys you.

I will probably look at the LE46C650/750 after your comments Canada.

A

Anonymous

On another place, they have 4 seperate continutation threads,(1000's of posts) from the C650 and C750, and not from complaints, . Well there are a few, but nothing unusual.

The 750 can be had for 930.00 with a free 3D blu-ray player and 1 year warranty.

Its on my top list, would love to get the LE8900 it can only be had for around 1100 but I never shopped at the site, and a bit worried if I ever had to return the TV.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I have just brought a LG 50PX990 from Richer Sounds for £999.00 whitch i am very happy with, the tv does not look to big as it only has a 25mm frame on the sides and 50mm at the bottom. The tv is still running in but the picture is getting better all the time.

Hope that helps with your choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts