Phillip to exit Hifi & DVD player business

soulsonic34

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
UNPUBLISHED MP - DUPLICATE I wonder how long it will take for Panasonic and Pioneer to follow in the same footsteps. The TV market has become over-saturated and the profits from audiio/visual have become very slim pickings.

soulsonic34

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
UNPUBLISHED MP - DUPLICATE I wonder how long it will take for Panasonic and Pioneer to follow in the same footsteps. The TV market has become over-saturated and the profits from audiio/visual have become very slim pickings.

soulsonic34

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I wonder how long it will take for Panasonic and Pioneer to follow in the same footsteps. The TV market has become over-saturated and the profits from audiio/visual have become very slim pickings.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So long and thanks for CDs (to misquote Douglas Adams).

And "don't let the door hit your [ahem] on the way out", as they say around here.

Let's face it, with the exception of the Compact Disk, what, 30 years ago, and the Compact Cassette 20 or 30 years before that, Philips has been resting on its laurels and patents for donkeys.

I mean, I don't think I've even seen a Philips product in 20 years, let alone thought of buying one....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Didn't see anything much of Philips stuff hitting the headlines 2007-11 when I was back in the UK, maybe I missed their last great hurrah when I moved back?

Anyway I just looked on Amazon.co.uk - Philips do seem to do a nice line in pink ghetto blasters, micro systems and surround sound stuff, but nothing I'd consider "hifi", just saying.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Well it's Fidelio range has impressed us of late, and we gave an Award last year to the M1 headphones.

So what you're actually saying is that the corporation that invented the compact cassette and the compact disc only makes onto the pages of your magazine these days with iPhone boomboxes and a set of headphones?

I rest my case...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hifi and probably AV are contracting markets in the west.

Perhaps best to get out while you can or shift focus to China/India etc whether manufacturing or selling (or be expensive enough to appeal to a few well heeled individuals though they are probably increasingly likely to come from the above markets too).

Made and designed in the UK (or Europe) still holds some kudos though it probably will increasingly shift to the latter. If the past few years are anything to go by, quality should not suffer because of that. Perhaps the opposite.

regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
I mean, I don't think I've even seen a Philips product in 20 years, let alone thought of buying one....

I love my Philips citrus fruit squeezer...

£14.95 in John Lewis with their 2 year guarantee. (Same price on Amazon but add their delivery times/costs and no 2 year guarantee.)

Saves me about 80p a litre compared to cost of supermarket 'Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice' and tastes a lot better.

It is impossible to get red grapefruit juice in the shops whereas I can make about 2 litres of it in 5 minutes with this device.

Recommended with this jug.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

I love my Philips citrus fruit squeezer...

£14.95 in John Lewis with their 2 year guarantee. (Same price on Amazon but add their delivery times/costs and no 2 year guarantee.)

Saves me about 80p a litre compared to cost of supermarket 'Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice' and tastes a lot better.

It is impossible to get red grapefruit juice in the shops whereas I can make about 2 litres of it in 5 minutes with this device.

Recommended with this jug.
I think that's the one the gadget show was getting all excited about. My phillips kettle has been OK too.

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Hifi and probably AV are contracting markets in the west.

Perhaps best to get out while you can or shift focus to China/India etc whether manufacturing or selling (or be expensive enough to appeal to a few well heeled individuals though they are probably increasingly likely to come from the above markets too).

Made and designed in the UK (or Europe) still holds some kudos though it probably will increasingly shift to the latter. If the past few years are anything to go by, quality should not suffer because of that. Perhaps the opposite.

regards

Agreed DM! I too think that we are moving towards a Designed in UK (or Europe) but made in China. And I have no real problme with that as long as decent levels of manufacturing quality are maintained. I mean I am sure that even a semi serious audiophile would not buy a brillantly designed product that is badly made?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Didn't see anything much of Philips stuff hitting the headlines 2007-11 when I was back in the UK, maybe I missed their last great hurrah when I moved back?

Anyway I just looked on Amazon.co.uk - Philips do seem to do a nice line in pink ghetto blasters, micro systems and surround sound stuff, but nothing I'd consider "hifi", just saying.

Their TVs were winning WHF awards only a few years back

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It's just a business decision, neither good nor bad. I guess they weren't making much money in the sector and decided to concentrate on sectors where they could make more.

Chris

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

Their TVs were winning WHF awards only a few years back

...and I bought one of those award winning TV's back in 2009 and it's been excellent. :grin:

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Covenanter said:
It's just a business decision, neither good nor bad. I guess they weren't making much money in the sector and decided to concentrate on sectors where they could make more.

There's certainly no hiding anything from you is there?

Off-topic but I've never thanked you for the job link sweetness.

regards

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
The_Lhc said:
Covenanter said:

There's certainly no hiding anything from you is there?

Off-topic but I've never thanked you for the job link sweetness.

... <penny drops> oh right, did you look into it at all?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Philips did make some unusual and innovative products in the past .

I would love to hear a pair of these 8)

http://www.thevintageknob.org/philips-RH545.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motional_Feedback

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts