Personal CD player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just been listening to dream of the blue turtles on my mobile phone and marvelling at how flat and awful its sounds. So i thougth i would try and pick up personal cd player and use the disc instead but it seems that these things have all but vanished. All amazon can supply is a £30 sony with a radio :( i would prefer a cd over an mp3 if possible. I am using grado SR60s and would be willing to pay maybe a little over £100 maybe more if the sound quality is there. any advice?

A

Anonymous

so should i take the lack of replys to mean this is a lost cause? I have seen the £200+ sony cd walkmans but the reviews were not encouraging.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately, as you may be aware, the few large manufacturers who still produce them only sell cheapies. I'm not aware of anyone making high quality portable CDPs for the last few years.

A couple of years ago I picked up two new-in-box players from ebay - a Sony D-NE830 and a Panasonic SL-CT810, both had obviously been out of production for some time, I think they cost me around the £60 mark each.

In terms of sound quality, I'd rate the Panasonic as the best sounding player that I've owned, a little bright but much more musically involving then the many players that I've owned over the years, also it has optical digital output and I think it's just better designed overall. The Sony machines, especially the later ones, always have issues e.g. buttons placed underneath the unit, all the various outputs using the same jack, etc.

I've never been that terribly impressed with the sound quality of them either, the D-NE20 being the worst I've ever heard, very weak sound with a ridiculously high noise floor, shame as it was quite a nice little machine otherwise.

Just keep looking around on eBay or Amazon Resellers as many bargains pop up there all the time.

A

Anonymous

Thx for the replys. Ill keep an eye out for the panasonic, unfortunately i dont think i would know a bargin if it slapped me in the back of the head in this case so i may well end up with the sony binman suggested. I see sony sell a coulpe of models in the £200 - £250 range but as i said some of the comments left on amazon are less than encouraging and im not really after all the bells and wistles, i just was a cd player, preferably one that goes loud.

A

Anonymous

Why not just get a "digital" music player? Lots more choice, bound to sound better than your phone and will probably sound better than as portable CD player.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
The Pansonic that Lonely Boy mentioned was the one I had and sold on ebay. I have to agree that it was a very good player. One thing to note with that Panasonic is that it came with special rechargable batteries, which will be well past their sell by date by now, and *probably* quite expensive to replace.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts