Peculiar problem - pop and crackles

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear forum members,

I think I have a peculiar problem. When watching movies with my amp decoding the sound (bitstream), I hear pops and crackles from the two rear speakers only when HD sound is player (TruHD, HD-Master Audio) but it's fine with non-HD sound, i.e., DTS, Dolby Digital etc. I figured that my mains may be dirty and was considering getting a Russ Andrews Silencer.

Then, I tried letting my blu-ray player decode the sound (PCM), and there were no longer any pops or crackles for any of the sound formats.

Any explanation for this and how I can overcome this? I would like to ideally set the amp to decode the sound as I believe the DAC in the amp is superior (shouldn't it be, technically speaking?) to that of my blu-ray player although I cannot detect any significant difference in sound quality - sounds the same to my ears.

Thank you.

nads

Mmm never considered bitstreaming from my BD35 to 805.

when you say rear speakers is this a 5.1 or 7.1 set up?

and any movie in particular that it happens as i could have a play later.

A

Anonymous

It's a 5.1 set-up. Happens with all movies with HD audio.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Daveh75. Interesting forum reads, and it appears that the 605 is one of those affected by these 'bitstream bombs'. Rather than to carry out any sort of modifications, I will just set the blu-ray player to decode (pcm) the sound for all formats.

A

Anonymous

I believe that if you copy the DSP frimware update, blow it to an audio disc and play it through your optical input to your amp (following all the relevant procedures of course) it will cure your problem ;)

A

Anonymous

eddmac - would you mind elaborating on how to do this --> 'DSP frimware update, blow it to an audio disc'? Thx.

A

Anonymous

These definitely aren't 'loud explosions', by any measure of the word, but pops that appear several times over the duration of the movie. More of an annoyance than anything else, really.

nads

OK had a look at my settings and i am always Bitstreaming and dont have any funny noises.

there has been a firmware update for the *05 av amps, it needs a CD burnt NOT in vista and a CDP with optical out.

the info is/was on Onks webby and you could do a serial number search for your unit.

A

Anonymous

Checked on the Onkyo website and it reads 'The firmware of your receiver is up-to-date, no update is necessary'.

A

Anonymous

I have both the same machines Panasonic DMP-BD35 and Onkyo TX-SR605. I get the exact same problems you describing. Its not loud but does iritate you with the crack or tick or popping noise i get. and only does it on true hd audio! I have tried the firmware update but problem still there :-(

Any suggestions?

A

Anonymous

My '805 is currently with Genserve for this and other problems

A

Anonymous

just wondering if when the whf team tested these if they came accross this problem?

I bought the 605 mainly because it was future proof by being able to do hd audio but it seems it cant!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts