pc to hi fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have 600 cd's and want put them on my pc and play them throgh my hi fi in my other room. I will be ripping them to my pc using flac format when i have tried to play through my amp with audio cables i have lost some quality of sound when compare to playing the same cd direct.My question is how can i get the best sound from pc to hi fi.

My system is a Denon DHD38DAB connected to wharfedale diamonds it is only a small room and i like the sound when playing single cd's on it.
cool.gif

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Probably be best to grab yourself a V-DAC II when it arrives and run a USB from your laptop then RCA leads from the V-DAC II to your Denon.

Regards

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Or the Beresford or Cambridge DACs (and there are others). Any with a USB* unless you want to use coax or optical if your computer has those.

Quite why a DAC that isnt available yet should be favourite I've no idea.

*I'm not sure the latest Beresford has USB.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Am I right in thinking you computer is in a different room? If that is the case the the options given don't help that much unless you want to run long runs of cable!
The cheapest way to get music to another room would probably be using AirPlay. I think the big sound difference you are getting would be the quality of the pc DAC. Just to check it is it the dm38DAB you have? If thats the case it would take the digital signal from an ipod touch or iphone using airplay and would use the denons DAC which should be close if not identical to CD quality i would think (unless it uses different DACs for cd and the USB). So if you have an I devise it would cost you nothing!

IMO adding an external DAC That could cost £100-£200 to a £300 mini system would be overkill.

nads

Rip them to a NAS (or PC then move to a NAS) as that will be quite a lot of file space. about 200-250 Gb.

and then get a Squeezebox Touch conect that to athe Amp. Sorted. Makes sure the NAS is suitable if you go this route.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
omdrunning said:
Hi

I have 600 cd's and want put them on my pc and play them throgh my hi fi in my other room. I will be ripping them to my pc using flac format when i have tried to play through my amp with audio cables i have lost some quality of sound when compare to playing the same cd direct.My question is how can i get the best sound from pc to hi fi.

My system is a Denon DHD38DAB connected to wharfedale diamonds it is only a small room and i like the sound when playing single cd's on it.
cool.gif

Welcome.

Do you meen DM38DAB?

Aparently (someone more knowledgeable may confirm) you can connect your HDD direct to the the Denon via USB. You'll need to format the HDD to FAT32 using SwissKnife in Windows. Have you tried this?

If not a DAC in between PC and 38, maybe a Lindy DAC (£40) or better still HRT USB DAC (£150).

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for all your suggestion i will give them a try .

It is a Denon dh38dab and i am ripping to FLAC format when i can find the best site any ideas there are a lot out there
smile.png

A

Anonymous

Although I'm on a steep learning curve regarding streaming, Phil's sugestion of a VDAC 2 is sound. IMHO, the big advance is the adoption of Asychronous USB, allowing the DAC to do the clocking duties.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts