PC to A/V Amp Help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello can anyone advise what cable/cables I can use to send video to my A/V amp (Sony 1200es) please?

I think I can use VGA cable to my amp (HDMI/s-video etc) but I can’t get sound into my amp with a HDMI cable so will need another sound cable.

I could use a VGA to HDMI to my plasma but am hoping (not to pricey) to send the video/sound throw my A/V amp.

Also it has to be over 3 metre’s or longer any ideas please.

Thanks.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Why do you want to send PC video through the amp? You can't get vga to hdmi as one is analogue and the other is digital. The best thing I could suggest would be to buy a new graphics card with hdmi out and that is hdcp compliant (most new ones are) and then use the amp as a switch if you have other hdmi sources.

The audio will depend on your sound card/motherboard. It could be a simple 3.5mm to phono cable going from the green audio socket to an analogue input on the amp. Otherwise it could be spdif (either optical or digi-coax(orange RCA) or multi-channel output using several 3.5mm to phono cables.

A

Anonymous

What output connections have you got on your PC for both sound and picture. This will determine what options you have to connect to your amp and TV.

I dont think you will be able to use a VGA-HDMI without some conversion as VGA is analog and HDMI is digital, many TV's have VGA input and you can connect that way.

does you pc have a DVI connector as then you could use a DVI-HDMI converter, this is what i do. You could of course add an HDMI graphics card to you PC.

The sound is a different matter the main choices depend on the audio your PC can out put.

Mine for example has both optical and COAX digital audio output which is use to connect to my amp

Mine also has 5.1 multi-channel ouputs, which can be connected to the external multi-channel inputs (not sure if the 1200es has those)

Let me know the capabilities of your PC and i can advise you better

A

Anonymous

Hi

What you can do depends on the equipment you are using. Before i bought a Sony s350 I ran a pc to my Onkyo amp and it worked fine.

Initially I had an Ati radeon 3850 connected to my amp via hdmi (using a "dongle" adapter which came with it) and I had a sound card connected to the optical on the amp. At first using Power dvd my pciture was fine but the sound was only 2 channel so I upgraded to an Auzentech Prelude 7.1 sound card and what a difference however at that time no cards could use the True HD and DTS-MA formats.

Then Ati brought out video cards that could handle video and audio via HDMI, so I duley bought one, a Radeon 4670. After a fair few trips to forums and messing with drivers I got Lpcm via 7.1 to my amp using HDMI, again a vast improvement!

I would still be using it now if the tech was there. I wanted to see that panel on the amp say True HD! ÿso I needed things to change, then Auzen said they would bring out an add on for the sound card(happy days i thought) then Asus brought out a sound card with HDMI that could deal with all audio formats and video. Unfortunately it cost well over £150 (and still does!) then people had lots of teething problems, Auzen then binned the add on and opted for a new card (still not on sale!) quoted prices of $250 have been mentioned.

For all using the pc was great and you only need the one box for all formats my need for the proper sound won when Sony brought out the S350, the what hifi review promted me to sell my pc bits which gave me enough for the s350 and a bit of change !

Oh boy do I love my S350! ÿbut I now need 3 players (one blu, one hd-dvd, one divx)

So it can be done.

BC.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts