PC into Hi-Fi...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
No doubt a topic which has been covered before - but I'm new so I'm sure you'll all forgive me?!?!

I have gigabyte after gigabyte of digital music (mostly hi bit-rate sampled) as well as a massive CD collection.

Rather than connecting my iPod into my hi-fi - I choose to go down the route of connecting my PC to it - makes sense as my music collection is larger than the capacity of my iPod.

The way I do it currently works for me - but I thought I would ask people who are clearly more knowledgable than I in these circles for some input...

So currently, I run my PC using a 3.5mm jack to stereo RCA cable into the aux channel on my hi-fi. The lead was not a £5 Argos 'special', but is nowhere near the quality of the Chord and Audison cabling that I use in the rest of my system. If memory serves, the cable was approx £49 and does at least benefit from shielding and decent(ish) connections. I'm also a keen guitarist and run a piece of software on my PC called Guitar Port - which links to a small 'controller' which allows me to play and record guitar tracks using my PC. If I run both iTunes and the Guitar Port software simultaneously, it enables me to have a bit of a 'jam' with my digital music.

Now the really geeky part which you'll all no doubt appreciate (I know I did... lol) - I have the use of a proper RTA (real time analyser) so once all of the connections were made, I was able to use iTunes' built in equaliser to achieve a genuine flat line which made an incredible difference to the sound. It's amazing to compare a genuine flat line to what iTunes calls its own 'Flat' EQ setting which of course does not take into account the biases and characteristics of your hardware.

I really must get a proper spec up for my gear - but I'll wait until Xmas when I'm replacing half of it anyway and will no doubt have to start again with the RTAing process!!

So after all of that... the question is - am I running my PC into my hi-fi correctly - or can I do better??

Cheers guys!

Rob

John Duncan

Oooo GuitarPort, what a little bit of genius that is. Though I read that you couldn't record the output, so shied away from it, I got a Pocket Pod and plug it in through the headphone socket instead.

Anyway, whether or not your PC connection is as good as it can be really depends on how good your sound card is - it may be possible to get improvement on what you have by either getting a better soundcard (M-Audio are respected, and come from the Pro Audio direction) or plugging in a DAC - either to the optical out from your PC (which may or may not exist), or via USB. Beresford, DACMagic, Chord and Fubar are all names which you can search for on here, having been done pretty much to death recently. You can also untether your PC by adding an Airport Express, if you have a wireless network (or even just a wireless card in your PC).

I'm interested in your findings on iTunes EQ - I have no doubt 'Flat' is not quite flat, but I used to just turn mine off, until I realised a small bass boost sounds great...

A

Anonymous

Hi John!! Thanks for the quick reply!!

There are stereo outputs on the back of the Guitar Port which I just run into an 8-track recorder or from 2 RCA to 3.5mm jack and into the PC's microphone port for recording.

Ok so two points regarding changing the way I do things:

(i) My PC does have an optical output - but my current amp (a very embarrassing Sony) and the model which I am upgrading to at Xmas (Roksan Kandy K2) do not (as far as I am aware) have optical inputs. Am I missing something obvious on connection here??

(ii) Upgrading the sound card - ordinarily I would do this straight away - but in an effort to conserve space, I purchased a Sony Vaio two years ago - the spec is still great but the problem is that the whole thing is built around the monitor. Is there any 'external' solution I can look at??

I'll do some screen captures at the weekend and take some digital photos to demonstrate what an iTunes 'Flat Line' actually looks like on an RTA display... I think you'll chuckle. I've also tried turning the EQ off - and also the EQ which Sony's own software tries to use - but the sound was very hollow - and very biases towards higher frequencies.

I will await your reply with great anticipation!

Rob

John Duncan

1) No, the optical output needs to go to a DAC - of which there are loads with an optical input - which then goes to your amp via normal interconnects. As above, examples are Fubar, DACMagic, Beresford TC-7510.

2) Yes, plenty of USB sound cards out there, though a USB DAC effectively acts as one, so you wouldn't need to do both. The Fubar and DACMagic mentioned certainly have USB connectivity, can't remember if the Gemette and Beresford do.

Because of your recording requirements etc, you may find it better to go down the external USB sound card route, as you could get one that offers both improved audio out but also has good connectivity for guitars, mics etc - again, M-Audio and Enderol(sp?) are prime examples. On the down side, it may be harder to find one in the Pro Audio space that has normal RCA outs - they may go balanced.

A

Anonymous

Again... thank you so much for the quick and very educational reply.

Can you give me a guideline of price for instance so I can see how this will affect my pre-Xmas blow out on new gear??

Cheers!

Rob

John Duncan

"How long is a piece of string?", tbh.

You can get an external USB sound card for 10 quid, but it's not going to give you anything you haven't already got. A Beresford is about £110, a DACMagic £200 (I have one and it's fabulous, true audiophile quality when used with lossless files), a Fubar about £100. Or you could blow out on a Chord for three-odd grand......

Not that au fait with the "Pro Audio Interface" type, but a quick Google points me towards M-Audio at about the £120 mark or Edirol at £130, though if going in this direction, be sure that all those balanced and mic inputs will be useful to you, as you'll be paying for facilities at the expense of (marginally, I expect) less good audio quality.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Silver_Surfer:
Again... thank you so much for the quick and very educational reply.

Can you give me a guideline of price for instance so I can see how this will affect my pre-Xmas blow out on new gear??

Cheers!

Rob

The Firestone Audio Fubar II USB DAC is (as the name suggests) a USB only device albeit a darned good one! It is about £125 (delivery free) from Russ Andrews right now.

Then there is the Beresford TC7510 DAC. This has optical and co-ax but no USB yet. (Although there are rumours.) It also serves as a headphone amp. Prices here....

http://www.beresford.me/others/main.html

The Cambridge Audio DacMagic (£200) has optical and coax and USB inputs and a choice of RCA Phono or balanced XLR outputs. (To your amp) It is exclusively sold by Richer Sounds.

The Chordette Gem is £399 and is Bluetooth (A2DP) or USB so despite being highly rated in reviews (using both means of input), it will appeal more to people playing their music from bluetooth enabled phones/notebooks etc.

Beyond this pricerange then the sky is the limit.

A

Anonymous

Thank you John - I will go away and see what I can come up with... I'll keep the forum posted as I evolve my setup over the coming weeks.

Rock on!

Rob

A

Anonymous

Cheers Chebby!!

I'm busily trying to locate a DACMagic2 - but they're very popular from the sounds of it!

A

Anonymous

Gents... Cambridge Audio DACMagic2 on way from Richer Sounds warehouse to their Hull store... should be mine on Monday...

Early Xmas present to try to justify to the wife!
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm catching up with the Cambridge Audio guys later, and intend to quiz them on how many DACmagics they've sold so far, plus when there will be more stock arriving in the UK. I'll let you know what I find out...

A

Anonymous

John - I'm going to pull the "That...??? That's been there for months... don't you pay attention??"

Clare - I'll be very interested to hear your findings!!

Cheers

Rob

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:I'm catching up with the Cambridge Audio guys later, and intend to quiz them on how many DACmagics they've sold so far, plus when there will be more stock arriving in the UK. I'll let you know what I find out...

Cool. You could remind the CEO that my 840A/E combo hasn't arrived yet...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Silver_Surfer:
John - I'm going to pull the "That...??? That's been there for months... don't you pay attention??"

Clare - I'll be very interested to hear your findings!!

Cheers

Rob

I said mine came free with my amp!

And John, it's only diddy once out of the box! For some reason CA package the DM up like it's the size of a microwave.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:I'm catching up with the Cambridge Audio guys later, and intend to quiz them on how many DACmagics they've sold so far, plus when there will be more stock arriving in the UK. I'll let you know what I find out...

Have you ordered these?? Do you mean the 840E/P?

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:I'm catching up with the Cambridge Audio guys later, and intend to quiz them on how many DACmagics they've sold so far, plus when there will be more stock arriving in the UK. I'll let you know what I find out...

Have you ordered these?? Do you mean the 840E/P?

No, I just kept suggesting CEO let me beta test them. Still no sign...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts