PC + Hi Fi, What do I need?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
idc said:
if the sound card in your PC is good enough to do the work of the DAC you can get a minijack to phono cable to connect PC to amp. I would try that first as it is the cheap option. Or you can use the USB out to send a digital signal to DAC, bypassing the sound card and then phono cables to the amp.

I agree with idc. First get some speakers if you haven't already the RB61 II. Next is the amplifier, something along the lines of the Denon PMA 250SE will be great or something similar second hand depending on your country. I've run my Klipsch RB81's with this amp fine as the Klipsch speakers are quite sensitive and don't need a lot of power for decent volumes. You can pick the Denon up for about £40-£50 if you don't mind second hand bargains. Connect your PC straight to the amp, if this doesn't sound good enough you could try the Asus Xonar range of souncards, very nice sound. If still you want improvements go for separate DAC. If your going for a new amp, may be worth looking at amps you can connect a sub up to. For cables, try sticking to fairly thick copper types but you don't need to spend a fortune.

A

Anonymous

Im thinking in a Marantz PM6004 + KEF Q300 connectinfg it to PC using a HRT Music Streamer II. What u guys think about this setup?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ricardovaz said:
Im thinking in a Marantz PM6004 + KEF Q300 connectinfg it to PC using a HRT Music Streamer II. What u guys think about this setup?

I've never heard the Kef speakers but Marantz amplifiers have plenty of power and have always sounded good to me. :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Have you considered using active speakers? They have the amplifiers already built into them and can offer very good value for money. Dynaudio, Genelec, Acoustic Energy and Adam all have exellent sound quality without needing to spend a fortune.

Dynaudio BM5A - £800

Dyna-1.jpg

Genelec 8030A - £800

Gene.jpg

If you like the sound of active speakers then you'll need to use them together with a DAC that has a built in pre-amp (which basically means that it has a volume control). Cambridge Audio and Teac both make good quality DAC's that have a pre-amp built in.

Teac UD-H01 - £300

Teac.jpg

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus - £350

DACmagic.jpg

A

Anonymous

i dont really like the sound of these activ monitors... What do u guys think about the setup i posted up there? Marantz PM6004 + KEF Q300 + HRT Music Streamer II?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
ricardovaz said:
i dont really like the sound of these activ monitors... What do u guys think about the setup i posted up there? Marantz PM6004 + KEF Q300 + HRT Music Streamer II?

The 'sound' of actives, or the idea of actives?

I'm sure your choice would sound just fine, but it would be a good idea to maybe try to audition some different equipment.

A

Anonymous

Both. Hehehehe, in my experience active monitors (wich are mostly designed for studio works) tend to be VERY flat. Ive already got a flat sounded headphone, i would like to get something with more signature

TRENDING THREADS