Patter upgrade for P2?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any advice? I have had my eye on this:

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1580

Is it worth it? Or should I just upgrade the mat?

A

Anonymous

emotion-6.gif

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
it depends, the funk platter changes the sound a bit, as do the various acrylic platters that are available, after comparing them I went for acrylic, but we all have different choices. If your P2 still has the standard plastic end stub and weight, changing that to either a RB300 varient or technoweight will be a bigger upgrade, in my view.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My standard P2 platter is sounding fine.

If I bought all the cottage industry Rega mods out there, then I could probably afford to upgrade to a better Rega. (This is why Rega have a range of turntables from P1 to P9)

However, I caved and bought the Rega P3 felt mat in deep blue for about £11 because the P2 mat was a bit too light and because I like blue.

T

the record spot

A patter upgrade? 'at's pure dead brilliant so it is...gonnae gie aes a bit mare ae thone likesay? Goat any electric soup by ra way? Ya dancer!

Ah, you mean a "platter" upgrade. Pardon the parliamo...

A

Anonymous

I have an upgraded P2 - new counterbalance, metal drive pulley, metal sub platter - and the Technics DD is just so much better.

In other words, as Chebby implies (apologies if that isn't what you meant), don't worry about tweaks, buy a better deck.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:....and the Technics DD is just so much better.

Assume you mean the SL-1210.

I heard a carefully used one (never been DJ'ed) with a pretty good budget Ortofon MC cartridge (cant remember which) and it had a vast 'one note' bass quality and hardly anything going on in the midrange. Huge sound and great excitement - with the right sort of music - but no subtle 'shades' or depth.

Impressive though. Makes you smile. For a bit.

Doesn't stop me having the occasional urge to get an SL-1210 Mk5 G for it's cool blue LED lamp and metallic gloss black plinth and iconic looks. It simply screams 1970s retro cool.

And I am a bit shallow.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:A patter upgrade? 'at's pure dead brilliant so it is...gonnae gie aes a bit mare ae thone likesay? Goat any electric soup by ra way? Ya dancer!

Ah, you mean a "platter" upgrade. Pardon the parliamo...

Indeed, apologies for the typo.

Would a cartridge upgrade be money better spend? I currently use the Bias 2.

T

the record spot

Apologies too for the Parliamo Glasgow while I'm at it...!

A

Anonymous

Chebby, agree, I found there was a bit of the one note bass when I had the AT120E installed, but my OM20 seemed to fix that. But, on the other hand, I've not heard a deck before (except the Linn) which manages to separate instruments in the same way Naim gear, for example, can. It's not overtly subtle, true, but the depth is there. More to the point, I've not been able to listen to my Rega since getting the Technics.

And you're right about the (can't say on this forum) looks.

TRENDING THREADS