Party Setup

maxpark3r

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
HI, I'm currently looking for a much louder setup for hosting parties.
I currently have a Cambridge A5 vers2 paired with Technics SB CS90 speakers which I think are 200 watts. Making this a 400watt system if I'm correct?

I was wondering what the best plan of action would be for a loud system.

From ebay I gather there are various options, they seem to be:

Buy new dj speakers, 1200 watt (600 each)

Buy a system including amp with 1200 watt speakers (600 each)

Or buy speakers that have an interrated amp, on ebay one can be found by searching "2x Skytec 12" Active Disco PA Speakers Party DJ Sound System 2400W"

They also have a smaller version at 1200 watts.

I am very new to hifi and I don't really understand how to work out if an amp will power speakers. I know my current amp delivers 60watts per channel, so any advice on my best option and also how to work out the largest speakers I could get for an amp would be great.

scene

Hi and welcome to the forums!

How big are the parties? More spefically, how big a room, with how many people?

200W speakers are just that - 200W - a pair is still 200W (and I'm guessing that's max power, rather than RMS). Your amp is rated at 60W - which isn't hugely powerful for a party system. And it's the amp's power that is important here (unless you're going to get powered speakers). You could easily drive those speakers with an amp rated at 130-150W (RMS) and they'd be a lot louder.

1200W or 2400W active speakers will fill a pretty big venue. As they're active, you only need a pre-amp to drive them, not an integrated amp (like the A5). Active DJ speakers are designed to be rugged and durable - which is good if you're doing this as a job. They can take a bit more beer spillage, have rigid grilles to protect the speaker cones, and often come with carrying handles to lug them around.

What's your budget?

maxpark3r

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

scene

maxpark3r said:
The room is pretty large and it would be for around 200 people.

If I were to get these speakers: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skytec-Dual-2-x-12-Active-Powered-PA-DJ-Disco-Speaker-Party-Sound-System-1200W-/151273642548?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item23389c9a34

Would they require a preamp. The RMS of these are 600 watt

Budget is around £100-£150. If I got an amp that was higher then 200 watt RMS could that damage the speakers?

You might want to have a squint at this guide

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If I was playing to 200 people I would use something like this.....

https://www.studiospares.com/Headphones-and-Speakers/PA-Speakers/Auditorium-2-2215A-Dual-15-Active-PA-Speaker_249010.htm?ne=AQAAAAMAAAAEDFN0dWRpb3NwYXJlcw==

Sadly a little beyond your proposed budget. For smaller gatherings there are single 15'' and 2 by 12" versions.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
For your needs forget HiFi speakers altogether. Proper active PA speakers are the way to go.

Visit a pro-audio / DJ shop and see what they have on offer for your budget. It's also worth looking at second hand ones for parties as they will be better value for money and it won't matter so much if the get scruffed by drunk/drugged up party goers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
For your needs forget HiFi speakers altogether. Proper active PA speakers are the way to go.

Visit a pro-audio / DJ shop and see what they have on offer for your budget. It's also worth looking at second hand ones for parties as they will be better value for money and it won't matter so much if the get scruffed by drunk/drugged up party goers.

Avoid DJ speakers if you can, they have vastly inflated power ratings and are generally pretty poor sound wise. If you are going to attempt to play in a space with 200 people, you need some serious kit.

I used to play house parties with my pair of 15inch studio monitors and about 400 watts of amplification and I would never have taken on a gig that size with that setup.

maxpark3r

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
So we bought this speaker, we thought it was two but actually it was one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skytec-Dual-2-x-12-Active-Powered-PA-DJ-Disco-Speaker-Party-Sound-System-1200W-/151273642548?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item23389c9a34

Unfortunately the speaker was pretty dissapointing, I think it is over-rated. It turned out to be no louder than the old setup. The bass was better and the sound a bit fuller but other than that, pretty dissappointing. I was expecting too much for that price.

The room we are trying to fill is about 15mx8m with 3m high ceilings (it's a big lounge).

Any more advice was great. I also had a quick look at the back of my technics speakers and it says 200watt input & 100watt music, does that mean anything important?

Cheers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
maxpark3r said:
So we bought this speaker, we thought it was two but actually it was one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skytec-Dual-2-x-12-Active-Powered-PA-DJ-Disco-Speaker-Party-Sound-System-1200W-/151273642548?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item23389c9a34

Unfortunately the speaker was pretty dissapointing, I think it is over-rated. It turned out to be no louder than the old setup. The bass was better and the sound a bit fuller but other than that, pretty dissappointing. I was expecting too much for that price.

The room we are trying to fill is about 15mx8m with 3m high ceilings (it's a big lounge).

Any more advice was great. I also had a quick look at the back of my technics speakers and it says 200watt input & 100watt music, does that mean anything important?

Cheers

Send it back, it is rubbish.

I said in my most above to avoid disco speakers, they have a 'culture' of ridiculously inflated claims on power and output, quite laughable really.

You really have to spend more to get anything even remotely worth while, not the smoothest, but the Mackie Thump 12 and 15 inch models will give you a fair output for your money, still looking at £400-500 pr though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts