Panasonic Tx-p42x60b or Tx-l42e6b? help please

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
I currently own a panasonic TH-37PX80 which has been faultless for over 5 years. I was considering moving up to a 42 inch would have liked a nice 1080p Panasonic plasma but these are near impossible to source now.

I have been able to order a tx-l42e6b for £350 on ebay deal of the day but I have also picked up a tx-p42x60b from richer sounds for £290. Both are still sealed but I can only keep one. Any ideas what would be the better picture quality?

I dont need any of the smart features as I already have an apple tv and a HTPC.

any help or advice is as always appreciated.

Mo

John Duncan

I can't say that I've watched any high-octane blockbusters since I've bought it tbh, so not sure I can really say, but I have been very impressed with blacks and evenness of backlighting compared to my previous Sony, I have to say (the latter obviously being size dependent so take that with a pinch of salt and research further).

Trying to think whether I've got a suitable bluray to hand to give it a motion workout...

D

Deleted member 2457

John Duncan said:
I can't say that I've watched any high-octane blockbusters since I've bought it tbh, so not sure I can really say, but I have been very impressed with blacks and evenness of backlighting compared to my previous Sony, I have to say (the latter obviously being size dependent so take that with a pinch of salt and research further). Trying to think whether I've got a suitable bluray to hand to give it a motion workout...

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
I've tried LED and watch my friends, would not touch them, the plasma you have is the Panasonic entry level and although not full HD if you watch at more than 7ft away you will find it hard to spot the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42", the reviews back this up and the TV gets excellent reviews, it will beat any LED for picture quality. Advantages for the plasma : Fantastic viewing angles, deep blacks, no screen bleed, natural, NOT over cooked colours, no motion blur, no dirty screen issues. Advantages for the LED : Better for bright light viewing : uses slightly less power. I rest my case :cheers:

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
I would disagree on 720p vs 1080p. I've got a 32-inch 720p TV as well as a 32-inch 1080p TV, and the difference is clear to me. Full HD pictures will need downscaling to 720p which is artificial processing.

Most souces can be set to output at 720p and therefore the TV does not need to downscale.

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
All thank you for your replies. I decided to do a side by side comparison and it was not what I expected. The LED was actually very clear and the colours were brilliant after a few adjustments. Where I felt it was let down was possibly motion blur. When the screen would show a reasonably static image the quality was amazing but when the image was moving around alot and quickly the screen suffered a little. I tried this with various blu-rays and picked certain scenes where I could cross check them with the Plasma later. Sound was also decent considering the size and weight of the tv.

I then checked the plasma which was obviously not as bright as the LED but handled the fast moving scenes effortlessly. Downside however was the resolution which was even more obvious after having viewed the LED. I would have kept the plasma had it been full HD but as I onlly sit about 6 feet away the res was noticable especially on text.

After all this I have decided to keep my trusty 37inch panasonic plasma and search for a full HD plasma. I know I wont be able to get a brand new unit unless im after something high end but hopefully one of the auction sites may have something decent turn up.

Mo

kitkat said:
bigboss said:
I would disagree on 720p vs 1080p. I've got a 32-inch 720p TV as well as a 32-inch 1080p TV, and the difference is clear to me. Full HD pictures will need downscaling to 720p which is artificial processing.

Most souces can be set to output at 720p and therefore the TV does not need to downscale.

In that case, the source is downscaling. Downscaling will happen.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
kitkat said:
I've tried LED and watch my friends, would not touch them, the plasma you have is the Panasonic entry level and although not full HD if you watch at more than 7ft away you will find it hard to spot the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42", the reviews back this up and the TV gets excellent reviews, it will beat any LED for picture quality. Advantages for the plasma : Fantastic viewing angles, deep blacks, no screen bleed, natural, NOT over cooked colours, no motion blur, no dirty screen issues. Advantages for the LED : Better for bright light viewing : uses slightly less power. I rest my case :cheers:

i disagree here, my screen has dse and I've been advised it's 'within specification' plus a few forum members have had problems with dse on plasma screens.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts