Panasonic TH42PX80

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Delivered courtesy of John Lewis this morning, on time and with a two man delivery, hats off to JL
emotion-1.gif

A nice picture straight out of the box, no dead pixels, service menu showing zero hours viewed, so that's my main fears put to rest
emotion-21.gif

I've read a few comments on poor sound, set it to a normal listening level and it sounded fine to me, infact I'd say it sounds better than the Sony Wega it's replacing when it's not playing through the home cinema system.

If I had any doubts it would be the size, maybe a 37" would have been more appropriate, it looks massive next to the 28", then again I've only had it hooked up for a couple of hours, maybe first opinions will change when I move the 28" away from it and I've had it for a few days.

A

Anonymous

I started off wanting the 37" before finally going for the larger screen, and now I am just so glad I did. Its when you have watched a couple of movies that the extra size really hits home!

I had concerns about the sound when I bought it, but found it to be better than I had anticipated and even playing CDs via my LX50 it sounded more than just acceptable. However, with SKY HD I am finding I have to crank the sound to about 75-80% of max, to get the level I get from about 50% with Freeview.

So will be adding some extra soon, a soundbar for reasons of space. Its a great TV though way outperforming my expectations and I love it! JJ

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoJoW"] Its a great TV though way outperforming my expectations and I love it![/quote]

Same here JJ, day 2 and loving it, looking smaller already with the 28" Sony CRT gone.

Hooked up the Sky+ today, was much on a par with the freeview aerial, little between them.

Yet to watch an upscaled dvd as yet, having no upscaling player doesn't help
emotion-4.gif
- an LG HDMI/Upscaling Home Cinema sytem due tomorrow ;) When I remember I'll need to source an Optical [toslink] cable to connect the Sky+ to it

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoJoW"]However, with SKY HD I am finding I have to crank the sound to about 75-80% of max, to get the level I get from about 50% with Freeview. [/quote]

Meant to say I had similar on the Sky+ [too quiet], I just went into the sky+ settings and upped the sound output, sounds on a par whether on Freeview or Sky, dunno if SkyHD has similar.

A

Anonymous

Hey thanks Arbk, that had been bugging me a little. Will have a fiddle when I get back home (Sun). Can I ask what Home Cinema you are getting....my soundbar option not set in stone yet and am canvassing any alternatives I can lay me eyes and ears on. Thanks again :) JJ

A

Anonymous

When I remember I'll need to source an Optical [toslink] cable to connect the Sky+ to it

[/quote

Hi Arbk, could you explain the purpose of this "optical (toslink) cable" as I too have an HDMI/upscaling home cinema system and sky+.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoJoW"]Can I ask what Home Cinema you are getting....my soundbar option not set in stone yet and am canvassing any alternatives I can lay me eyes and ears on. Thanks again :) JJ[/quote]

With no interest in Bluray at present my brief was a half decent AIO that catered for HDMI could also upscale and had an optical input to accomodate SKY+ and lastly could be easily made region free. The LG HT902PB fitted that bill, good bang for your buck as well @ £219.99 delivered [minus 2.5% if you go through Quidco].

500_041207_1.jpg

Got it from here Clicky, Review Clicky, there's also another variant, same system but with 4 tall boy speakers LG HT902TB, dearer of course. Got 5 stars in the What Hi-fi review

A

Anonymous

[quote user="dynamodrago"] Hi Arbk, could you explain the purpose of this "optical (toslink) cable" as I too have an HDMI/upscaling home cinema system and sky+. [/quote]

Hooking up the Sky+ via the "optical out" allows DD 5.1 to play through your Home Cinema System, just remember to go into your Sky+ box sound settings and set to DolbyD
emotion-5.gif

Ordered this one Monster Digital Optical Cable

Alternate budget price option Toslink Optical Cable (Budget)

TRENDING THREADS