Panasonic TGX-P50VT20 or LG 50PX990

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys

I have £1400 for a new tv,I have seen the Panasonic for £1299,and the LG for £999.

So which one is the better deal.

Do i save £300 and go with the lg,

Or go for the Panasonic.

A

Anonymous

i haven't seen the lg in action, it gets excellent reviews though. i've seen the vt20, and it's a brilliant tv imo, with very deep blacks and a sensational hd picture, sd is also excellent. but, this years pana plasmas (at least the v series) do suffer from some minor niggling problems.

some have what's described as "floating blacks", this is a slight rise in black levels during some scenes, i didn't notice any on either of the v20's that i had (they are identical to the vt20 bar the 3d functionality, i returned both of mine)), but many people have seen this, how much of an annoyance it would be, or how widespread it is i'm not sure.

the main issue with the vt20 though is it's inability to deal with motion as it should with 50hz sources, dvd's, all tv, sd, hd. but not blu-rays. this is something that apparently affects all v series sets, although it's not a major issue imo it was enough to put me off the v20's that i had. however i paid the full price back in august, if it had been much cheaper i might have lived with it

how it manifests itself is slight judder, blurring when there is a panning shot, like you see in the programme "dragons den" as the camera moves from one dragon to the next it is evident, turning on the IFC, which is panasonics motion processing, does solve the problem, but introduces artifacts and gives a false, robotic look to motion, it's poor to be honest and i always left it turned off. i didn't see this problem with blu-rays though, they played back flawlessly with IFC turned off..

it seems that some people are more succeptable to this than others though, as a friend of mine couldn't see the issues on my tv's even when i pointed them out, and there are many vt20 owners that are very happy with their sets.

i'd be very tempted by the vt20 at £1299, the best thing is to demo both tv's though, see which one you prefer, to my knowledge the lg has no problems, and if you do plump for the vt20, i'd get a guarantee of a no quibble refund in the event you find any of it's quirks too annoying, if not, it's a fantastic tv..

ps.. having said all that
emotion-1.gif
, if you could wait a few months then better 3dtv's will be available, but they will cost more..

A

Anonymous

http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/panasonic-txp50vt20-full-plasma-with-freesat-freeview-vt20-p-1015.html

A

Anonymous

lcm1981:http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/panasonic-txp50vt20-full-plasma-with-freesat-freeview-vt20-p-1015.html

It's refurbished Grade A.

A

Anonymous

Given the 50hz issues, (I've had 2 VT20's, both returned & yet to see one without the problems) and the good reviews for the LG, I'd go for the LG. I think the price for the LG will drop over the coming weeks though as the new 2011 models start to hit the stores.

A

Anonymous

Guys

Just got the LG (I got one for £946 delivered & 2year warranty) after spending many long hours pondering Panasonic or indeed LED - after auditioning them both the LG was my preference (the THX colour settings from default are excellent) and I felt motion was handled better than the Panny, finally of course the price clinched it!

With the Sony BDP-S570 (and Sky +HD) hooked up via a Pioneer VSX-2020 (amazing upgrade from an Onkyo 607!) and a 7.1 setup (AE fronts & QAcoustics for rears, centre and sub) it is a seriously impressive performer, highly recommended - I am even questioning the need to upgrade my surrounds at the moment, although the bug will be back soon no doubt.

A

Anonymous

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a great price for the LG. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts