panasonic gt60 posterization

murg

May 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

I have the panasonic42 gt60 and am generally very impressed with this tv. I have however noticed problems with "effects" appearing on screen especially certain channels (sd) but also some hd content also. This was baffling to me and after trawling the net I have now found a name for this problem and it is called "posterization" and it is getting worse!! I have tried every manner of settings etc but to no avail. Posterization is rather hard to describe but a search on google will show pictures of this problem. My questions are, .1. .is there a cure. 2. should it be there at all or have I got a faulty set

your comments would be appreciated

Thank you

D

Deleted member 2457

Generally if you read the reviews of the TV on Google then you will get to hear about potential problems or not:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-p42gt60_TV_review_picture-quality-conclusions_Page-3#tr-review-summary

D

Deleted member 2457

I think this review is making reference to it but not 100 per cent sure. I don't have any on my Panasonic 50vt65 but I use it with Sky only. You can always to the problem to the people you bought the TV from and see what they say, sometimes they can be pretty fussy about it though. It sounds like you might need a new screen though. Where did you buy it from?

D

Deleted member 2457

I think this review is talking about it too:

http://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-gt60-tx-p50gt60-3d-plasma-television-review.500

If you have to much it can be faulty though but getting someone to acknowledge it is very hard.

murg

May 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gel,

Thank you for your response. I bought the tv from a superb independant local retailer. They referred me to a company who do repairs for them on behalf of Panasonic. Following conversations with Panasonic regarding this problem I somehow think that they will not even acknowledge the existance of posterization on their tv`s. It exists, I can assure them of that because I watch it happen on almost a daily basis,and it is slowly getting worse. I do not accept that it is a trade off for getting a superb PQ at all other times or that "its just what plasma`s do"( it never happened on my Kuro) To me it is a fault and should be repaired/replaced. We shall see when it goes of to be "looked at". Reading your post and following the link, it dosent seem to be fixable through settings etc

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Posterization happens on most of the recent Panasonic plasmas im afraid and has done for a while, It tends not to happen or be so bad on the very top end sets. It is not a fault. I have a 42ST60 which also has it, it tends to show up on certain scenes with a gradual background colour change and a point of light. For example if you have someone swimming underwater in the ocean with a torch. The Kuro's I had in the past (428xd, 508xd & 5090) from Pioneer didnt have this posterization, I agree but it is part of the deal with a Panasonic plasma lower down the range im afraid.

murg

May 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, almost gave up on this post. I am beginning to realise that settings will not cure this problem but to continue with this post I would like to ask the following..

If it is true what you say and that the posterization is just part of "lower end Panasonics" then why do people on other forums say they have never seen posterization on these sets at all and secondly, why should the problem be getting worse as time goes by?. Please dont get me wrong, I really appreciate your reply to my post but it seems to be hit and miss as to whether you buy a set with this problem or not. That would surely point to a production problem rather than something that is "normal" for the gt60 range

comments would be appreciated

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I get it on my set as well its not range specific - so its there and to do with the technicals of how the panels work.

No tech is perfect - I found calibration reduced it no end so it might be an idea for you - it also gets the best picture from the display so double bonus.

You can try turning on IFC, this adds other negative effects but it might help you.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Forgive the slow response but I have been super busy. For me it seems to be part of how the Neo PDP pannel worked and was more pronounced on everything below a VT series. I would hesitate to sugesst that the reason no one sees posterization is because for most it is quite subtle and they just dont notice it. I pick up on all of these little quirks and I have seen this on every Panasonic plasma below the VT range I have had on display in a shop and every one I have owned in the past. If you feel you have an issue that is getting worse then it may make sense to get an engineer to look at it, I just doubt that it would be classed as a fault im afraid. Can you post a picture up at it's worse, you should be able to pause the image and take a photo.

murg

May 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

thanks for your response. Made a decision and sent it off for "repair"? so I can`t send pics i`m afraid. interestingly, I was looking at another forum where someone had the same issues and were not happy with the set. the engineer took one look and declared it faulty,changed the panel and now,according to them, the PQ is amazing. no more posterization,artefacts or anything else. that was on a 42gt60. so that proves that there is a problem and , more importantly, it can be fixed

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts