Panasonic 42GT30 vs Sony 46HX923 ?

hubiedubie

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
These are my 2 favourite sets that I've sourced locally. The Sony is €2000 and the Pansonic €1600. Anybody any experience / recommendations with either of these sets?

nws56

Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
The silence on this one seems odd, given the notoriety of the 923 set. A little digging will reveal the 'crease' issue with this

series and Sony's response to it.

Likewise the GT/VT 30 has it's own share of foibles ; buzzing, fluctuating brightness, green blobs....

Such is the TV state of the art in 2011 . The wisest thing would be to inspect either or both sets in the shop whilst extracting a promise to return if found unacceptable.

Or if you value the opinions of pro calibrators , a well known American guy ( Chad B ) compared the Vt30 with the HX923 for an AV site : makes interesting reading. Let me know if you can't find it.

I think the most important choice for you is that of the dealer to purchase from, given the history of these sets.

A

Anonymous

I have a GT30B and have had none of the issues some of these sets suffer from. However, I do like the look of the Sony sets, I've just never been brave enough to part with my hard earned cash and take the "back light lottery" associated with their sets. As mentioned above get a demo and a good agreement on a return if you purchase either. Happy hunting!

hubiedubie

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
After comparing them , I agonised over the decision (both TVs looked fantastic with small strengths and weaknesses on each side). But finally ordered the 46HX923 (looked better to me) from Currys with an agreement that I can return it should there be any issue. It's arriving on Wednesday so I'll keep you posted.

nws56

Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
Hope all goes well for you . Would recommend the Cinema 1 preset as a good base for set up. Bear in mind that more than one owner has remarked that the picture can seem a bit rough for the first few weeks. I laughed too when I read this, but after living with mine for a month now , I'm thinking they are right. It seems smoother and more refined now .
One thing is for certain though , the unit is utterly ruthless at revealing exactly what is contained on those optical discs in your collection. So some discs disappoint with their inherent softness whilst others knock you out with all kinds of detail and colours that were never there before .
So as well as a new telly , you get a new film collection to rediscover . Hope you like what you see!

TRENDING THREADS