pananasonic gt30 colour banding

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi i have just noticed on my gt30 on fast panning on peioles faces i am getting a green and red outline down the side of there faces is this a fault or is there someway of eliminating this issue thanks in advance :? for any help :?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
3937edwards said:
Hi i have just noticed on my gt30 on fast panning on peioles faces i am getting a green and red outline down the side of there faces is this a fault or is there someway of eliminating this issue thanks in advance :? for any help :?

Hello 3937edwards,

This effect has been widely reported on plasma tvs for some time and it seems that some people don't even see the effect due to differences in eye sight, i'm sure a few fellow forum members discussed this effect some time ago when I was first considering buying a Panasonic plasma tv but I can't remember if there was any solution to the issue...sorry.

I did notice it a little on my GT30 when I had it but it was never distracting, has it only just started to happen or have you only just noticed it? How bad is it?? Could it be phosphor trails you are seeing? Google it...could be the issue.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy after reading up on my issues i have now come to the conclusion that it is phosphor trails , my question is there anyway of reducing it i have had the tv for a year watching it approx 4-5 hours a day so it should be run in. i have the tv on normal settings and the tv has a very bright picture . i have read that this model was manufactered with quicker changing phosphers of something like that to give a bighter picture .i have read on these forums in regards to picture settings with some people having there contrast at about 75% i have tried this but the picture is so bright it gives a halo affect and strains my eyes so i have to keep contrast and brightness at 50% on normal is this normal for it to be so bright if i change the settings which also causing alot of flickering on the screen is this a fault with the tv or could it still be bedding in and will get better over time any help would be appreciated :wall:

%

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
3937edwards said:
hi oldboy after reading up on my issues i have now come to the conclusion that it is phosphor trails , my question is there anyway of reducing it i have had the tv for a year watching it approx 4-5 hours a day so it should be run in. i have the tv on normal settings and the tv has a very bright picture . i have read that this model was manufactered with quicker changing phosphers of something like that to give a bighter picture .i have read on these forums in regards to picture settings with some people having there contrast at about 75% i have tried this but the picture is so bright it gives a halo affect and strains my eyes so i have to keep contrast and brightness at 50% on normal is this normal for it to be so bright if i change the settings which also causing alot of flickering on the screen is this a fault with the tv or could it still be bedding in and will get better over time any help would be appreciated :wall:

%

Hopefully it is still under guarantee ?

If it is then ask for either a refund or replacement. I took out a five year guarantee when I bought mine as I was aware of a few issues but mine has been fine so far. I would want mine replaced or refunded straight away if I was not happy. The sooner you do this the better - whatever way you look at it, the tv sounds faulty to me and you are well within your rights unless you bought second hand.

I would be contacting the seller straight away if it was me.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
3937edwards said:

%

I thought it was phosphor trails you were seeing as it's something I noticed on my GT30 but from all the research I done on the issue it's simply something that is a well known issue with plasma tech and some people don't even seem to see it atall, very strange. Get the tv looked at by an engineer is my advice, is it still under warranty??

Does the effect lessen if you swap picture modes? I found that the THX setting lessened the effect considerably but the only problem with that was the heavy yellow tinge that the mode added to the picture, it was great for movies but horrible for day to day tv and gaming. Have you tried a decent calibration disc and adjusted the colours accurately with blue filter galsses? It could just be that the screen needs calibrating but knowing you from your past posts you would know that already but thought it was worth mentioning.

I wouldn't take anyone elses settings as gospel, just use them as a good starting point and adjust from there with a good calibration disc. The flickering shouldn't be noticeable when looking at the screen but may be visible when looking away from the screen with the tv still in your range of vision but not looking at it directly. This is just how a plasma tv works but shouldn't be visible when watching the tv, if it is then it's worth having it looked at as it could indicate an issue.

You have had the tv long enough now for you to safely say that it has been well run in so any issues that may arise are definately not a case of the tv still needing to bed in as 200-300 hours is considered plenty of time for this, you are aware that you can view the amount of hours you have put on the screen aren't you? I will put the link in but mods may delete it (sorry mods if that is the case) so if they do just google "viewing hours on panasonic plasma tv" and it's the first hit under the ads, there is a thread devoted to it that tells you how to get the engineers menus up on the tv and find out how many hours have been put on the tv.

http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthread.php?t=1772

I would say the tv at least warrants an engineer to look at it so hopefully it's still under warranty and won't cost you anything to get it looked at, as ever keep us updated with how you are getting on and I hope you get it sorted soon.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy the flickering i mentioned only occurs when watching football when the picture pans accross the screen otherwise its okay ,iam wondering is this problem specific to panasonic plasmas as my previous samsung did not suffer from the issue at all . unfortunatley the warranty has run out as you may know i purchased the tv from the now deceased comet and after paying £1,300 for the tv could not afford another £400 or so for the extra cover some people might say thats a bad mistake but hey ho. anyway i am going to get a calibration disc and try that if that doesent work i am going seriously consider getting rid and like you go back to led like you did although there would be no guarantee of having no issues with this tech either.anyway one further question which may sound daft i wear vari-focal glasses would this cause any issues that i appear to be seeing only ask as my wife keeps telling me she cant see nothing wrong with the picture its my eyes lol, as ever any help much appreciated |(

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
What can I say without being biased...? All I can do is be completely honest my friend, I simply gave up on Panasonic plasmas after several attempts...there is no denying the picture quality is excellent but I simply had too many issues with various sets. I went through 3 G20 tvs and then 3 GT30 tvs but the 3rd GT30 was great for 8 months or so until that too developed a fault that couldn't be repaired even after a screen replacement...I then had to fight my corner pretty hard with Richer Sounds to get a suitable resolution but they came good in the end.

I think the flickering on your GT30 should be looked at really along with the phosphor trailing you are seeing and as your warranty has now expired and the set was purchased from Comet I would be back on the phone to Panasonic as it couldn't have expired by much and argue that under the sales of goods act you would expect a £1300 tv to not develop faults shortly after the 1 year warranty had expired. I would be wanting it looked at and if required repaired free of charge, I think you have a good argument here as the warranty has not expired that long ago and the hassle you had with Comet...give them a ring as it's well worth trying.

I can say for sure that the difference between what you and your wife sees on the set is not uncommon atall as I've read many forums discussing this exact problem, it's not related to your glasses but an issue simply with peoples eyesight as it seems some people simply can't see the effect when sat next to someone who can even when it's pointed out to them. It would seem it's simply down to differences in eyesight and how people perceive colours if common concensous is to be believed.

Try a thorough calibration of the tv before you contact Panasonic to see if that helps atall but if not I would advise contacting them. I have to say that I'm glad I went over to LED now as it suits my needs perfectly, yes there are a few slight niggles in the shape of some slight DSE noticeable when watching the footie and a narrow viewing angle but none of it is a deal breaker and I've been miles happier with my 46HX853 than I ever was with any of my previous Panasonic plasmas. That's just a very personal view and for balance it should be said that there are alot of very happy GT50 owners on these very forums but even these have had issues with buzzing, colour banding and DSE so my opinion is that you simply can't buy a perfect tv in the current market and all issues should be carefully considred before making a purchase.

If it was me I would consider selling the tv and either get a GT50 as a replacement or go back to LED and get a Sony HX853 if the issues can't be solved with your GT30 but of course that is going to require more funds in order to acheive it and you would still need to sell the GT30, it's a tough decision but all is not lost with your GT30 yet so let's hope it doesn't come to that eh!

Hope that's of some help to you and hope you get it resolved soon.

TRENDING THREADS