Ouch! Alpha 7R

Recieved the old Arcam back from the Charity establishment on Friday, and out of curiosity thought I'd hook it up. Have to say the price difference between the Alpha and Leema, unsurprisingly, is glaring.

The Alpha sounds thin, doesn't have the lovely 3d soundstage and imaging, and a lot detail had gone AWOL. Most disconcerting is how it deals with vocals: With the volume above 7 o'clock, female voices sound teeth-shatteringly brittle. I know haven't hooked it up for some time, but I don't remember it sounding this disappointing (checked to make sure it was wired correctly).

Normal service has been resumed, just pray the Leema doesn't go wrong - couldn't stand anymore than two days of the Alpha without it driving me bananas.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like there's something wrong with it PP, as the Alpha 7R was never bright or thin sounding. Although I can understand it not having the detail of the Leema, and it wouldn't really have the bass control for something like RS6's.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Sounds like there's something wrong with it PP, as the Alpha 7R was never bright or thin sounding. Although I can understand it not having the detail of the Leema, and it wouldn't really have the bass control for something like RS6's.

A lack of control is spot-on. It's fine for a £300 amp, but the two really are poles apart. Perhaps, also, my tastes have changed. It'll probably sound better with less demanding (or cheaper) speakers, such as B&W 600 series or MA RS1.

Mrs. P commented: "It sounds like the cd player in the car".

Okay, I don't have a reserve amp that satisfies. The Alpha 7 is 'orrible with my current kit (who'd thought that?). Clearly the Leema has spoilt me, but only willing to spend £150 on a amp that may never get used.

Don't care what make, as long as it sounds good with MAs, for the timebeing, and it has a in-built phono stage.

Perhaps another Arcam? A65+ again?

Why am I so concerened? because the Leema is on for about 4-6 hours every day, and I don't have the bread to spend fortunes every few years on a amp.

Any suggestions are welcome.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Why the concern? I have had my arcam amps on 24/7 for the last 10 years, when does a light bulb blow? when you turn it on again :)

A

Anonymous

Ive got a 7 up in the loft with a dodgy volume button if you need any parts :)

A

Anonymous

A65+ is for sale too now, as is my 7 month old P38 :( but also :) as I now have Naim :) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts