Ortofon 2M Black been run RAGGED!!

mrmesser88

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Right.

Had my Ortofon 2M Black for a while and run it into the ground.

Looking for an alternative that will go with the ATC SIA2-150 and the Graham Slee Reflex phono stage.

My budget is about 600 quid.... or it will be once I start working....

P.S. I wasn't a huge fan of the Ortofon during its run. The bass response was pretty awful, detail amazing for jazz but terrible for electronic music, though it completely lacked warmth. I don't want something clinical or too exacting. I want sEdUcTiOn...

Thanks in advance,

Bill

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
. . . ? I have no experience with the Nagaoka 300 although the WHF review rates it at 5 stars. However one has lots of experience with the P5 . . . an excellent TT. I see the OP's budget . . . the P5 reacts very positively to a little simple tweaking, so if not already done; a white belt and an aftermarket machined metal sub platter with ceramic ball bearing. This put a financial strain on the budget, however I suspect a bit of digging on t'net could get is at a fair price, squeeze the financial lemon a little :? . . . has the makings of a fine front end?

The aftermarket sub and a white belt applies what ever cartdge is chosen.

CJSF

plastic penguin said:
I was thinking more in the line of the 2500. When WHFI reviewed it they said it added warmth to vocals and impressive detail, the former the OP said was missing.

I've always been a big fan of Goldring from the days of G800 back in the late 70s.

The 2500 is indeed well reviewed and the OP should consider it. I did not recommend it as have never heard it personally.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
What I did not make clear in my earlier answer re the P5; . . . the simple upgrades mentioned will, one, extract more from your cartridge/TT combination and two, will allow a better cartridge to be used if so desired. My own P5 uses to very good effect a Sumiko Celebration Pearwood, it has had installed cartridges to twice the valve . . . they sung like a bird . . . IMHO, the P5 is a very under rated TT with a lot of potential . . . 8)

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts