Organising collections on NAS

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I've been looking at ripping my CDs to a NAS (for playback with Raumfeld connector, various OSX players, etc) and am a little confused at what the best way is. In particular, I find that classical music is very poorly served (so to speak!) what with the composer/orchestra/piece issues and how multi-disc pieces come together (or not).

Any suggestions on how to do this?

I've been using dbPoweramp, but I'm not sure it makes good choices all the time (a function, perhaps of its metadata sources).

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I think that there have been a few threads discussing this issue, especially the issue that some ripping software subdivides long musical pieces into the shorter instrumental sections, and then saves each one as a separate music file. The result is an unwanted pause at the end of each instrumental section, when you play it back, and this does annoy some people.

I use Foobar2000 and I think that there is a checkbox on the ripping settings page, where you can select whether to rip as individual files, or one longer file.

I also remember posters mentioning the need to add the metadata to tracks at a later date. Have a look at this thread:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?34716-Classical-CD-music-amp-Best-practices

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
expat_mike said:
I think that there have been a few threads discussing this issue, especially the issue that some ripping software subdivides long musical pieces into the shorter instrumental sections, and then saves each one as a separate music file. The result is an unwanted pause at the end of each instrumental section, when you play it back, and this does annoy some people.

Err, not if you use any kind of decent player that supports gapless playback, which should be all of them by now. If you've bought something that doesn't I'd reject it as not fit for purpose, there's NO excuse for that!

I also remember posters mentioning the need to add the metadata to tracks at a later date. Have a look at this thread:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?34716-Classical-CD-music-amp-Best-practices 

DbPoweramp uses three or four different sources for metadata, you can compare its results, select individual fields from each source or type in your own metadata

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Thanks - sounds like there's no single best answer... I must investigate the best metadata editors!

Well, no, not necessarily, as I said you adjust the metadata in dbPoweramp BEFORE you rip. It's very rare I have to go back in afterwards to update anything.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Ah, well, I have already done some...

And editing with Kid3 was OK. I now have a single album with 45 tracks (Norma) which is what I wanted.

But that's a good tip. Will try it with some other discs

This is one of the best reasons for Classical music lovers to avoid downloads and ripping. It is garbage to have a 'song' called Opus 27, no 1, and the composer from 300 years ago is the performer!

I can tolerate the confusion on Qobuz, but I've seem some terrible indexing. I listen to music to escape the computer, not to spend the rest of my life cataloguing CDs that I can find easily!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts