Optimum length for mains cables and coditioners

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Alright, I know I'm getting into one of the most contnentious issues here but I do have a valid question.

I'm prepared to believe they can make a difference in the right circumstances, at least the science behind them seems to make sense, but I was wondering if the length of said cable makes any difference. we're always told to keep cable runs as short as possible, but surely if the cable is to do its job properly there needs to be a reasonable amount there for it to have any effect. Also, in the case of mains conditioners, which part has the most effect, the cable or the block itself?

The main reason I'm asking is because I've got my Kit rack in the corner with the mains sockets right behind it, and I like to keep the cables as short as possible, so don't want to invest if there's a minimum recommended length which will mean having to deal with excess cable.

Hope I can get some sensible answers on this without it deteriorating into another argument about whether they work or not.

Any help and advice would be most welcome

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think the reason the shortest length possible is recommended is because the ideal purpose of a cable is not to interfere with the signal it's carrying - the shorter the length therefore, the less chance interference will occur.

idc

Hi Valveus. I don't think that the same applies to mains cables than signal cables, where for the likes of speaker, USB etc it is better to keep them shorter. But I don't think there are real problems until runs go into tens of metres. Audio grade mains cables tend to be betwen 0.5 and 2 metres, so I can't see there being any difference over that length.

As for mains conditioners, the most important part is the conditioning part. Mine is a plug in one with no cable at all. The likes of Russ Andrews sell their blocks separate from the cable. The likes of Tacima don't. You pay your money and you take your choice as they say.

A

Anonymous

So would it be fair to say then that the length of cable on a mains block doesn't matter too much as it's the block itself that cleans up the mains, but the cable for the equipment itself needs to be at least 1m long to be of significent effect?

One more point about the mains cable, what does it actually do, does it actually clean the mains up or does it just reduce RF interference?

Thanks

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
RA cables use a weave to reduce RFI as opposed to some cables which are shielded , the weave needs a resonable length to opereate effectivly. If you want shorted than 1M use a shielded cable.

Mains cables reduce RFI its the conditioner which would clean the supply a bit.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Actually, R.A recommend using longer lengths as the properties of the weave will have greater effect. Of course, cynics will say it's because the longer the length, the greater the expense, but I couldn't possibly comment on that one.....Except to say that I'm a believer. Hence......

I have a 6' Classik Powerkord feeding my 8-way Silencerblock, this in turn has two 1m Classik Powerkords for my Arcam amp & CD, and I have about four 1m Yello Powerkords, for my TV, Onkyo receiver, Blu-Ray & my PS2.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hello

I would recommend going for lengths required as doing so reduces potential interactions between cables (e.g., excess length of power cable is more likely to induce currents into other audio cables nearby such as delicate signal carrying interconnects). Some manufacturers - such as Russ Andrews - do use a weave or geometry to cancel radio-frequency interference (RFI) that is already on the mains line; however longer lengths are also more susceptible to picking up airborne RFI (unless a good shielding system is used in addition). In terms of performance of our power cables there would be very little difference between a 1m length and say for example a 3m length; differences are usually only discernable when there is a longer length difference (e.g., 5+ metres).

With regards to mains conditioners and blocks, these can provide a significant improvement in performance especially if the mains supply is noisy. However it is also important to have good quality shielded power cables from the block to your components since unshielded power cables can pick up airborne noise after conditioning/filtering thereby undoing the good work done.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Darren

A

Anonymous

Great, thanks for all your help guys.

Got a much clearer idea about it all now.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

As per comments above RA start at 1m and I know their cables work well - I have a number of them in my A/V kit particularly + Ultra purifier 8-way block. This sounds better with the signature powerkord on it than the cheaper reference chord. The Signature chord is attached to the block and then my other kit is in the block, so each item benefits from the better cable used on the block 'feeding ' them.....

My Gutwire cables are longer at 2m (I think) each being the shortest length they do, suggesting they need to be that length to perform at their best ....... different type of cable, not woven in the same way as RA ones. More expensive than the RA ones I have, so not fair to compare them directly I guess - but both are very good and a must have, in principal !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts