Optical out conversion, and AUX-in splitter - help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm keen to get Apple TV, so that I can use it to stream my music from my iPhone - and for a few reasons, I'd like to use the optical out as the source of the sound.

I don't have an amp that can take an optical sound source though (just a normal AUX-in). Is there a way of converting an optical out source to my AUX in though? I've found this, http://www.maplin.co.uk/optical-to-coaxial-digital-audio-convertor-29293?doy=19m3 , but I'm not sure if that's really what I need.

Any ideas?

That's part 1. Part 2 is, I have a mini hifi that only has one AUX-in. I'm currently using this with a 3.5mm jack, so it's able to fit into whatever source, but if I have this optical source, that will then mean I'd have to be switching out the cables at the back of my stereo every time - so I'm keen to know if there is also such a thing as an AUX splitter, so my muting all but one source, that sound will play through.

So, in summary

1. Is is possible to convert an optical sound to go through my AUX, and

2. As I've only got one AUX-in, is there such a thing as a splitter I can use to have multiple sources for that channel?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, that maplin optical to electrical digital converter won't help.

1. Just about every digital to analogue converter will take an optical digital input, convert it to analogue, and output it in a form your system can accept.

2. A unit such as this phono switcher will do the job for you, with just the final connection from the switchbox to the mini-system using a two-phonos-to-3.5mm cable to suit your aux in.

A

Anonymous

Thank you so much for your help!

Do you know if either will cause much of a degradation in sound quality?

iMark

incujosh:
1. Is is possible to convert an optical sound to go through my AUX, and

2. As I've only got one AUX-in, is there such a thing as a splitter I can use to have multiple sources for that channel?

1. Will you be using the Apple TV for your TV? If not, you might consider the Airport Express which has a DAC. You could connect it directly to your switchbox.

2. Switchboxes come in various price levels. I have a German Hama that allows me to use 4 inputs. It wasn't very expensive and works rather well. QED and Ixos used to make a few good ones but they have stopped making them.

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KVODHA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000KVMV8S&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0TC43JWKCKX06SKQ52G7

We use this one with our Sony mini system in the bedroom and it works. Not the sturdiest of builds but it will do the job.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you choose a good DAC, it should improve the sound quality over the conversion built into either the iPhone or the ATV.

Any switchbox will have some effect on sound quality, but I think your mini-system is likely to be more of a limiting factor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts