Optical connections

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I've had a set of Creative Inspire 5700 speakers for about 5 years which I know aren't the best speakers in the world, but are great for what I want and have served me well over the years, but I have recently encountered my first problem with them. I've tried connection my new ps3 to them using the optical connection, but the receiver isn't recognising the signal. I thought this was a bid odd considering I recently (about 2 weeks) had V+ installed and it worked fine on the BBC HD channel and the optical connection had always worked fine on my Xbox 360. So I decided to try both of them again. Now, neither of these work, so I presume it is a problem with the receiver. My question is, does this happen a lot? I mean, is it a common problem for the optical socket to fail, or is there some other test I can do to see if it is indeed a problem with this socket. The speakers work fine with analogue connections (either line in or coaxial cables), and I haved tried two different optical cables and the problem still persists. It goes without saying that I would really rather not buy a new set of speakers.

Cheers for thoughts,

stewyd

A

Anonymous

Your right the problem will be with the receiver,so no need for new speakers.Have you changed the input settings on the reciveiver,i would check this first as it would be more likely than the optical socket failing.

A

Anonymous

@4biddenplanet

I don't think I've changed anything. The receiver's fairly basic and only has one setting where it will play the signal form the optical cable. Otherwise, it plays from sources connected via coaxial/line-in

@Andrew

I believe I've set the PS3 up correctly. The problem happens for all my equipment, including xbox and v+ box, so I doubt it's a problem with my ps3 settings

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's unlikely, but possible, that you have damaged the optical socket, or the cable - are you using the same cable? - or that either the optical input has failed on the Creative or something has changed in the set-up of that.

Apologies - thought from your initial post that only the PS3 wasn't doing the optical in thing...

A

Anonymous

No worries
emotion-5.gif

As I say, the receiver only has one setting where it recognises the optical input, and I've tried that several times. I have tried 2 cables too, but they're both pretty old, so I suppose it may be worth trying another

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts