Operation Harbeth.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Thanks Floyd.

My local Naim dealer stocks some Yamaha AV stuff so I would probably order through them. (I might end paying a small premium over bargain bucket places but at least I would get a sealed box and a 3 year guarantee from someone local I have dealt with for over 20 years.)

And so would i chebby thats for sure.

A

Anonymous

True Blue:This thread should be renamed "The endless pursuit of what we call happiness"

Or alternatively....How to spend money we don't have...
emotion-5.gif

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
chebby:Whatever I need from CD will get ripped at 256k AAC to iTunes but most of my listening is 'radio' of some kind so CD is not a big concern.
Based on your current gear and long time interest in the P3ESR, I'd definitely audition the following:

Naim UnitiQute > Naim NACA5 > Harbeth P3ESR

If that's pushing the budget you could also demo the Rega RS3. Just find a store/dealer who stocks Naim/Rega/Harbeth.

A

Anonymous

chebby:"Something like" [the AVIs] is an option I have thought about a few times. (But nothing from AVI itself.)

I have considered the little Dynaudio active and I was in the Chichester branch of B&O a few weeks ago listening to some Beoloab 4000 active speakers.

How about ADAM P11A or Genelec 8040? They appear to be popular with the pro market. I agree with Fahnsen - if you're starting again from scratch, active is the way to go...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
storsvante:How about ADAM P11A or Genelec 8040? They appear to be popular with the pro market. I agree with Fahnsen - if you're starting again from scratch, active is the way to go...

Did you personally like both of those systems?

How would you say they suit my requirements?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid:chebby:
[Edit] Worrying comments about Yamaha fit and finish there chaps. My own experiences of older Yamaha gear (from 1996 - 2007) were that it was built to last and nothing ever fell off! (Unlike NAD which had worse build quality than Fisher Price and that is NOT hyperbole but based on personal experience of NAD and knowing how well built my eldest girl's Fisher Price cassette was.)

Chebby,ive done a bit of trawling through my old mags regarding Yamaha build quality. Not a hint of anything untoward,quite the opposite. I guess if you were to look at one in sevenoaks,then it would look and feel like its been dropped off a bridge. From my experience these hifisupermarkets dont give a flying what their products look like to the punter. I dont think Yamaha would let anything flimsy go out on the market, they are trying to get back into the hifi side of things again , not nail the lid on the coffin for good.

Indeed and I, in no way, tried to imply that Yamaha products are badly built. A careless assistant is all it takes but to me, those tone control levers on the new amps both look and feel flimsy and the look is both monolithic and hardly inventive, wooden sideburns notwithstanding. I think Luxman and Macintosh have it right in that respect. As always, just my opinion.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:I think Luxman and Macintosh have it right in that respect. As always, just my opinion.

Luxman and Accuphase have it absolutely right (gawd bless their flickering meters) but then you are talking about gear that starts around £2900 for their 'entry level' integrated amps! (I wish.)

A

Anonymous

chebby:
storsvante:How about ADAM P11A or Genelec 8040? They appear to be popular with the pro market. I agree with Fahnsen - if you're starting again from scratch, active is the way to go...

Did you personally like both of those systems?

How would you say they suit my requirements?

I've heard the ADAMs driven from a good source (Benchmark DAC) and I thought they were fabulous. Very transparent and they go pretty low too. As per your reqs - you say you fancy small 'monitors' - these are professional studio monitors so if it's transparency and accuracy you're after they should fit the bill nicely. With one deciated 100W amp per driver I'm sure they'll go loud as well if you push them.

Haven't heard the Genelec, but have heard and read good things about the 8040s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts