Open frame vs solid speaker stands

A

Anonymous

If any sound is coming from your speaker stands, you've got a serious problem...

What counts is whether your speakers is positioned in a way that causes disturbing reflections of the sound, or in a way that allows the sound to reach your ears as straight as possible. Stands are supposed to put small speakers in places where the sound is as little reflected as possible. As long as the stands are solid and stable enough to prevent your speakers from falling down from the supposed ideal position they're put in, and looks good enough for your wife to tolerate them, they're as good as any others.

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
The Epos ST12i speaker stands are open frame and the Epos website says "It is made this way to help build an even more transparent sound stage than a stand with a heavy centre column. They do not get in the way of the music" and "The ST12i is not designed to allow sand to be added to the columns." I also remember someone explaining that a stand with a centre column acts to extend the front baffle, which is undesirable because of sound reflections.

When I bought my Epos M12.2 speakers, the ST12 stands had been discontinued and the ST12i wasn't yet available so I had to look elsewhere and settled on the Partington Dreadnought Broadsides with a tub of Atacama Atabites in each stand for good measure. They really did/do make a fantastic difference to the imaging and bass compared to the £30 unbranded stands that I had previously. The Broadsides do have a big central column and I'm unsure if this really does have a negative effect on the speaker sound compared to the ST12i as recommended by Epos. Might be interesting to compare one day when I have some spare cash.

Does anyone have experience of comparing the sound from standmount speakers on open frame stands and fillable stands with a centre column and are the two types suited to speakers with different cabinet designs ?

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Generally speaking you would expect the manufacturers stands to have been purpose designed and therefore better.Certainly the case with my Linn Akurates ,with the recommended filling with Atabites.I previously had Linn Katans though and the Russ Andrews torlyte stands brought out the best of them. If the manufacturer states which stand goes better then great, otherwise a case of tryout or recommendation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts