Only one more upgrade this year. Phono stage ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have £200 (max) to upgrade to either...

(1) Michell Tecnoweight + Ortofon 2M Blue stylus

Or...

(2) a sub £200 MM only phono-stage like the Creek OBH-18.

My Ortofon 2M Red cartridge is only just run-in and is now sounding really great (I am actually bowled over by it for the money) with some 30 or more hours 'on the clock' so I am not really in a hurry for the Blue stylus upgrade yet. I am dithering also about the wisdom of attacking the back of my RB250 with a counterweight modification.

That leaves the phono-stage upgrade option. I really want one that is dedicated to nothing but good MM performance so I am attracted to the Creek OBH-18.

Which option, (1) or (2), in your opinion would give the most 'upgrade' for the money?

Needless to say, there is no way to audition any (non Rega) phono-stages or cartridges before purchase. I would have to order them online without demo. (My dealer only does Rega cartridges and Rega or Naim phono stages.)

This will be my last turntable 'tweak'/upgrade before (at least) early next year so I want to make sure I get some real improvement to what is already a pretty good sound from my vinyl.

Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks John.

I have no MC and don't intend to go down that road. Would the 640P (at least the MM bit anyway) represent as much/more of an upgrade compared to the OBH-18?

I can't borrow any hifi at all. Only one of our friends has a decent hifi and he has the Rega Fono MM in his system. There is only one local dealer. I am a county away from the next good dealer.

John Duncan

I haven't tried it against a Creek specifically but I did against a 200 quid Naim something or other and couldn't tell the difference. The Dino is a clear upgrade but I wouldn't spend less than that I think.

If you're in London you could borrow mine while the builders are in and my table's in storage?

A

Anonymous

The little Creek works a treat with Rega decks, I had one years ago and it was awesome, it took a £500 Sonneteer sedly to better it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts