Onkyo TX-SR875E A/V Reciever and Denon 2930 DVD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Up until the October issue of What Hi-Fi i was fairly set on getting the above A/V Reciever and DVD Player. However the latest issue has thrown up some questions.

1. In the review of the Toshiba HD-EX1 it states that the DVD playback is "about the equal of Denon's highly rated DVD-2930 player", if this is the case and given that you can pick up the tosh for around £450 would this be a better option? I would therefore get the quality playback of DVD's at the same standard as the Denon, plus the extra advantage of entering into the world of HD DVD playback, all outputing would be to a Sony 40W2000 LCD TV.

2. I am concerned about the comments raised in the review of the Onkyo 875 about the amount of heat the machine generates (this was also mention in another recent review). Is the heat generated after many hours of use or after a short period of time? For me the unit would need to go into an enclosed cabinet with about 4-5" of space around the sides, back and top. (The front would be exposed)

Any help / comments would be appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IMHO, and for all round video and CD ability, I'd still go for the Denon.

And regarding the Onkyo, I'm running one on an Atacama rack at the moment with only a little clearance above it - but admittedly lots of fresh air to the sides and rear - and haven't even noticed it getting warm. Maybe in your enclosed cabinet a small fan might be a smart move if you're worried about the heat - AFAICR there's a switched mains outlet on the rear of the 875 which would power this, and you can buy one for not much more than a tenner from the likes of Maplin or RS.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I am with Andrew on this one, Definatly go with the Denon. I auditioned the Tosh alongside the Denon 2930 and yes I know it cant play HD-DVD but it does a far better job with dvds and especially cd over the Tosh. I ended up getting the Denon 3930 as I picked up a ex-demo unit for half its rrp.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Service with a smile, and nice to see Mr Everard still backing a DVD player over a HD conterpart (pats Mr Everard on the back!)

TRENDING THREADS