Onkyo TX-NR636 - Still Plagued with Problems or Not?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I recall, I think, when it came out that the 636 was prone to catching fire, breaking down, and generally being a big steaming pile of doggy-do.

Were the problems ever fixed, and if so, at about $300 US each on line, are they worth considering for the "little cherubs" this Chrimbo or should I avoid like the plague?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
none of the problems you mentioned (catching fire????), the only thing that comes up is some problems with video output but most of these are resolved by reading the manual all the way through, so $300 for a 7.2 Dolby Atmos enabled amp sounds great to me.

*music2*

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
On further research it was the 2005 era receivers that had a tendency to catch fire or at least, erm, signify probl;ems within using smoke signals (yes, really).

The 636 is last year's (or the year before that's) model and they're selling them off cheap. By comparison, the entry-level 7.1 Atmos TX-SR444 is being sold off for only ten bucks less.

I've got a 444 sitting in the wardrobe, but I might just splash out on a 636 for each of the "little angels" and flog the 444 on Fleabay. Hopefully that way they might leave my stuff alone....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
I recall, I think, when it came out that the 636 was prone to catching fire, breaking down, and generally being a big steaming pile of doggy-do.

Were the problems ever fixed, and if so, at about $300 US each on line, are they worth considering for the "little cherubs" this Chrimbo or should I avoid like the plague?

You contributed to this thread back in 2013 ...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/my-onkyo-tx-nr616-set-fire-anyone-else-had-issue

... presumably it's what you are referring to.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

You contributed to this thread back in 2013 ...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/my-onkyo-tx-nr616-set-fire-anyone-else-had-issue

... presumably it's what you are referring to.

It's old age.

My memory isn't what.....

erm, what was I saying? :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
simonlewis said:
Why are you swapping a 2015 model for a 2014 model, doesn't make any sense.

The 444 is a cut-down "for the kids" receiver, with inputs for two game consoles, a karaoke machine, etc.

My "little cherubs" are seventeen and twenty-three. Why a twenty-three year old is still living at home is a long long discussion, not for here.

And the 636 is 7.2 Atmos compatible and equipped with wired network, wifi, bluetooth, and has a turntable input whereas the 444 has only 7.1 Atmos., no network connectivity, and no turntable input.

Since I have to give each one the same, and since I have to buy one more minimum, I'd rather give 'em each a 636.

TRENDING THREADS