Onkyo TX 8050 is a 5 star stereo amp! Would WHF agree and make it official?

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I bought Onkyo 8050 following my instinct as I was very surprised with feature list for under £400 and I was looking for a flexible, proper stereo amplification. As at that time there were no reviews, I trusted Onkyo brand and I was not left disappointed. I should say rather impressed. The flexibility and massive capability of the amp are embraced with rich pure stereo sound.

After some investigation I was pleased that my opinion was supported by Magnus magazine in Denmark , avguide in Germany, awesome Amason reviews in America. WHF forum is full of praise for this amp.

I wonder if WHF magazine’s testing crew would agree with other magazines’ reviews and indeed with a big number of satisfied fans on this forum? Would Onkyo 8050 be WHF’s a 5 star stereo amp?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dariushifi said:
I wonder if WHF magazine’s testing crew would agree with other magazines’ reviews and indeed with a big number of satisfied fans on this forum? Would Onkyo 8050 be WHF’s a 5 star stereo amp?

It is unofficially official. It's got RS's and MP's seal of approval, which would be good enough for me! :)

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Unless WHFI have received the amp from Onkyo for testing they have no way of deciding or knowing. They have a strict protocol for reviewing and won't comment until the review team have put it through its paces.

I do appreciate WHF review policy and acknowledge that WHF is not in a position to say something about they have not tried on yet. I hope they will be able to review it soon.

My question is rather rhetoric to all onkyo 8050 owners, based on their experiences with previous WHF reviews. What do they think , Would it be a five star amp? Or maybe there are other NETWORKED STEREO amps ? I can not find rivals. All focus was on multichannel networked receivers, which are weak stereo performers.

dariushifi said:
plastic penguin said:
Unless WHFI have received the amp from Onkyo for testing they have no way of deciding or knowing. They have a strict protocol for reviewing and won't comment until the review team have put it through its paces.

I do appreciate WHF review policy and acknowledge that WHF is not in a position to say something about they have not tried on yet. I hope they will be able to review it soon.

My question is rather rhetoric to all onkyo 8050 owners, based on their experiences with previous WHF reviews. What do they think , Would it be a five star amp? Or maybe there are other NETWORKED STEREO amps ? I can not find rivals. All focus was on multichannel networked receivers, which are weak stereo performers.

You love it and so does RS... then you say "would WHFI agree and make it official?". I was pre-empting that WHFI won't comment until the Onkyo has been given a 'once over'.

dariushifi said:
plastic penguin said:

Why should it matter what star rating does WHF give? If you're happy with your purchase, then the star rating shouldn't really matter to you. Remember that each of us have our own preferences in music. A 5-star rated amp may not impress us, but a 3-star one may. The reviews should act as a guide for you to shortlist them for a proper demo, not be the holy grail.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
Why should it matter what star rating does WHF give? If you're happy with your purchase, then the star rating shouldn't really matter to you. Remember that each of us have our own preferences in music. A 5-star rated amp may not impress us, but a 3-star one may. The reviews should act as a guide for you to shortlist them for a proper demo, not be the holy grail.

Seconded

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yaya2 said:
bigboss said:

Seconded

thirded? :)

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
So why is Oppo Onkyo reluctant to supply WHF? a TX-8050 for review...??

spock.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
So why is Onkyo reluctant to supply WHF? a TX-8050 for review...??

Don't think there's anything to be read into it – companies choose to place their products for review with various magazines, as suits their needs...

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
bigboss

Why should it matter what star rating does WHF give? If you're happy with your purchase, then the star rating shouldn't really matter to you. Remember that each of us have our own preferences in music. A 5-star rated amp may not impress us, but a 3-star one may. The reviews should act as a guide for you to shortlist them for a proper demo, not be the holy graill

Dariushifi

Of course reviews are not the holy grail, I totally agree that one extra or one less star is not going to change the way I hear and enjoy my system’s sound. The most important and valuable reviewer is YOU, in your home environment, in an ordinary sitting or listening room.

My intention was to provoke a discussion what are Onkyo 8050 rivals with similar features. Is there a short list of similar even better rivals? Reviews are all about sharing experiences and comparing your views with others.

T

the record spot

I tweeted Onkyo the other day and they've mentioned that there were several reviews in Germany, so might be getting an English translation made available. I personally don't read much into this either; WHFS&V doesn't get everything. It certainly didn't get a test sample for my CD layer, though it must've had most of the Marantz two-channel range under £1k at the time. I'm not losing sleep over this.

As another poster said (Bigboss...?); it's not what a magazine review has to say, it's what the owner thinks. Given there are heaps (as I've since found) of TX8050 owners out there, most people seem overwhelmingly in favour of this unit.

matthewpiano

Yep, no offence intended towards any hi-fi magazine or dealer, but once I've heard something it is my own opinion that matters over and above that of any reviewer or dealer. Once my own judgement is made, that of others is interesting to read, but largely irrelevant to my own thoughts.

In my personal opinion, and if I was reviewing the Onkyo, it would have to be 5-stars. It betters any of the sub £400 integrateds I've owned which got 4 or 5 stars and, IMO, it will comfortably stand comparison with more expensive ones too. Throw in the huge feature set and the value for money is clear to see. Still, always best if prospective buyers make their own mind up.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
What does it matter! if Onkyo are getting the sales they require, then they don't need to bother about another review. Imagine if they were getting really good sales, and, WhatvHifi gave them a low score........ Why risk another review when you have a good thing going.....

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
Yaya2 said:
bigboss said:

Seconded

thirded? :)

Fourthered?

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Yep, no offence intended towards any hi-fi magazine or dealer, but once I've heard something it is my own opinion that matters over and above that of any reviewer or dealer. Once my own judgement is made, that of others is interesting to read, but largely irrelevant to my own thoughts.

In my personal opinion, and if I was reviewing the Onkyo, it would have to be 5-stars. It betters any of the sub £400 integrateds I've owned which got 4 or 5 stars and, IMO, it will comfortably stand comparison with more expensive ones too. Throw in the huge feature set and the value for money is clear to see. Still, always best if prospective buyers make their own mind up.

I am glad for your response, as you have owned and listened to a very wide range of quality equipment, therefore you are indeed in a position to compare and evaluate. I am pleased that you like your latest purchase and enjoy different sources of quality music from one box.

I appreciate all posts although some of them misunderstood me slightly. I repeat ones more that IMO the final decision maker is yourself and only review back in your room what counts to make that decision. I bought Onkyo 8050 a long time ago after it has been just realest and I was one of the first to review in this forum. I followed my general knowledge, as there were no reviews. Having sad that, we all read WHF reviews at some point and we compare ‘expert’s’ and your own opinion and not always agree.

Sliced Bread

If it didn’t receive 5 stars, would It change your opinion of it? ;)

Reviews are great for generating a short list, however once you’ve chosen something (hopefully through demos) it shouldn’t really matter.

There are no right or wrong answers. Not even some of the well-respected magazines see eye to eye all the time. In fact they often disagree.

I think in many ways going off the beaten track and trying something that hasn’t been reviewed can be an advantage as you have no pre-fixed expectations. Just enjoy your wonderfully flexible amp :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts