admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys

I currently have the sony 40x2000 combined with SKY HD and PS3 and the new onkyo 606. PS3 and and the sky HD are connected to the onkyo directly via 1.3 HDMI and the amp connected to the TV also via HDMI. I am a little confused as how to maximise the amp capability. eg What settings should i use to maximise the SKY HD. The PS3, bitstream and let the amp decode.................or. What settings should I set for the PS3?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Linear PCM for the PS3. And add an optical cable between the Sky HD and the receiver - the HDMI output on Sky HD only carries stereo, not surround.

A

Anonymous

Yes thats how I have it but the amp is not recognising the optical to the sky hd. I have set the hdmi audio to output to optical but it hasnt made any differance . The amp is still sending stereo. Seems like the HDMI audio is over riding the optical signal.

Thanks for the advice

A

Anonymous

Also, I was advised to keep the PS3 setting to bitstream when watching ordinary dvds but when watching blu ray set it to linear as the amp decodes the signal and not the PS3 on linear.

I also think the sound is better on bitstream must be me ears!

I know what pure audio is on the onkyo but is this the optimum setting when watching blu ray or the neo6 ?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps I've got it wrong, but I thought that pure audio only supplied stereo sound ie the left and right speaker only. The stereo mode uses the subwoofer as well (assuming that you have one).
[EDIT] This is wrong. According to the manual, it looks like Pure Audio will output multichannel as well.

A

Anonymous

You could be right as I am making a real ass out of myself here, just spent the past 2 hours google uncompressed and bitstream etc and it starting to make sense. Some threads tell me to put ps3 on bitstream and to hit the pure audio and uncompress the signal but this doesnt make sense.....anyway I have it on linear and put ratatouille blu ray on, set the audio on the blu ray to uncompressed (instead of dolby digitaL) and the sound differance was considerably better. Think the dd is compressed?

Now when I go into listening modes i only seem to get mono, tv logic, all ch stereo and multi ch. I have it set to multi ch, but where has all the dolby dts, dolby pro logic IIx, dolby true hd, dts neo etc gone. When I changed the blu ray audio setup to dolby digital I still had limited modes.......all mono and multi ch, tv logic etc...The same with the sky HD . How do I get access to these listening modes.

help this is doin my *********** head in!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Me too (see here).
My problem is that I think I've got everything setup correctly. I was a bit disappointed with the surround sound performance so tried a THX optimiser....which suggested I didn't have my surround left and right speakers setup. I don't know if the THX can gave incorrect or misleading results.
Anyway, refering to the manual (page 64), the available listening modes are listed. The little squares refer to the speaker layout eg left, centre, right, surround left and right, surround back left and right and subwoofer. For each mode different squares are filled with black (indicating the speakers that the mode will use)
So, for Stereo the left, the right and subwoofer will be used.
For Dolby Pro Logic IIx either all 7.1 or 5.1 speakers will be used.
(If you already understood this, may I apologise for teaching you to suck eggs.)
I am assuming that the 606 will take the source and apply the selected listening mode to it. However, the source has to be valid for the mode. And this is the nub of it for me. Which listening mode should I be using for the PS3 which is streaming LPCM?
As far as the bitstreaming setting on the PS3, this might be better for listening to music (I don't know, I haven't tried it) but you will not get the best results for movies/surround sound. I think the PS3 actually flashes up a warning telling you so when you attempt to switch from LPCM to Bitstreaming.
To get this sorted, we need a bit of input from either Mr E or one of the more experienced AV buffs on the forum.

A

Anonymous

"Which listening mode should I be using for the PS3 which is streaming LPCM?"

Not only that, but how do you get it to show up! If I inderstand what I have been advised, I know what should appear, but it wont! Just shows that we aren't the only ones completely confused!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Looks like we are going to struggle to get a reply here.....the danger of getting the very latest kit, I'm afraid. How do you like trail blazing?
I did a lot of experimenting last night and whatever settings I selected, I was unable to get the THX optimizer to work!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
OK, OK...

Sky HD box set to DD output on the optical out.

PS3 set to output LPCM from everything.

Onkyo:

Assuming you want Sky connected to the CBL/SAT input, and PS3 to DVD...

Use the HDMI input assign (Onkyo manual p43) to assign the HDMI inputs carrying the video from these sources to the appropriate inputs - default is DVD on HDMI 1 and CBL/SAR on HDMI 3.

Then go into the Digital input set-up (manual p44-5) and set the DVD input to HDMI 1, and the CBL/SAT to OPT 1 (if this is the optical input to which you have the cable from the Sky box connected).

Check the Digital Signal Format selection (manual p50) is set to Auto.

Set the Listening Mode to Direct (manual p64). You may want to choose Dolby PLIIx Music for TV viewing, using the surround button on the remote as this will give a more enveloping effect with stereo TV programmes, but the receiver will default back to Dolby D when surround programmes are shown.

Set up the listening modes for the two inputs using the Listening Mode Presets menu (manual p71)

For the PS3 input, set-up the default mode as Multich PCM, and for the Sky HD one set up the default as Dolby Digital.

The problem you are having with the surround speakers suggests you may have the rear speakers connected to the Surround Back L/R outputs, and not the Surround L/R. In that case the Audyssey system won't detect them, and thus the receiver will assume you're running it in stereo. Check they're connected to the SURR SPEAKERS terminals, and then re-run the Audyssey set-up.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Andrew. Thanks for your reply. I about to do some serious panel beating here with a big hammer....but I'm not sure which box needs the encouragement to work

OK, blow by blow (Strodo take note)

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]OK, OK... Sky HD box set to DD output on the optical out.

PS3 set to output LPCM from everything.

[/quote]
On the PS3, Settings | BD/DVD | BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) = Linear PCM

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Onkyo:

Assuming you want Sky connected to the CBL/SAT input, and PS3 to DVD...

[/quote]
Yes, the PS3 is plugged HDMI socket 1 / DVD

Use the HDMI input assign (Onkyo manual p43) to assign the HDMI inputs carrying the video from these sources to the appropriate inputs - default is DVD on HDMI 1 and CBL/SAR on HDMI 3.

[/quote]
Opened Settings on 606. Then, Input Assign | HDMI | DVD = HDMI1

Then go into the Digital input set-up (manual p44-5) and set the DVD input to HDMI 1, and the CBL/SAT to OPT 1 (if this is the optical input to which you have the cable from the Sky box connected).

[/quote]
Input Assign | Digital Audio Input | DVD = HDMI1

Check the Digital Signal Format selection (manual p50) is set to Auto.

[/quote]
Pressed Digital Input button for 3 seconds. Then pressed until the following was displayed on the amp

DVD: HDMI1(Auto)
Set the Listening Mode to Direct (manual p64). You may want to choose Dolby PLIIx Music for TV viewing, using the surround button on the remote as this will give a more enveloping effect with stereo TV programmes, but the receiver will default back to Dolby D when surround programmes are shown.

[/quote]
Not sure if I've done this right.......Listening Mode Preset | DVD | Multich PCM = Direct

(Note: there is no surround button on my remote!)
Set up the listening modes for the two inputs using the Listening Mode Presets menu (manual p71)

For the PS3 input, set-up the default mode as Multich PCM, and for the Sky HD one set up the default as Dolby Digital.

[/quote]
I did this in the previous step. Have I gone wrong?

The problem you are having with the surround speakers suggests you may have the rear speakers connected to the Surround Back L/R outputs, and not the Surround L/R. In that case the Audyssey system won't detect them, and thus the receiver will assume you're running it in stereo. Check they're connected to the SURR SPEAKERS terminals, and then re-run the Audyssey set-up.

[/quote]
Checked this (looked round the back). OK. Audyssey throws an exception during setup if you've got this wrong (p40). And when I used Audyssey to set up my speakers, it completed without issue.

Used THX optimzer on "Finding Nemo" DVD eg Main Menu | Setup | THX Optimizer | Audio Tests | Play Test
This test verifies that your speaker positioning and assignment is correct.
The results are the same as I previously posted, ie no change!!!!

The display on the amp says DVD: PLII Movie. This suggest to me the 606 is not recognising the PS3 as multichannel PCM. It can't be or the amp would be displaying DVD: Direct.
Wwwhhheeerrreee's my hammer? Hhhhhaaaaaahhhhhgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've told you. I gave you every chance! Now you're gonna feel BENNNNNNYYYYYYY! Take that you miserable piece of junk.
Any ideas?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="PJPro"]Any ideas?[/quote]

Gave it m'best shot. Now this is where you need a good supplying retailer who can walk you through your problem on his or her demo unit...

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Hhhmmm. Tricky. They didn't supply the PS3 and may know less about it than I do.
Have you (the mag) successfully got a PS3 running through a 606? Did it pass the THX tests? Are these tests sometimes wrong (I've tried it with two different DVDs).
Could it be something to do with the cables? I'm clutching at straws here.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="PJPro"]Hhhmmm. Tricky. They didn't supply the PS3 and may know less about it than I do.[/quote]

Well, you could take your PS3 down there and ask them to show you how to get it working

[quote user="PJPro"]Have you (the mag) successfully got a PS3 running through a 606[/quote]

Yup.

[quote user="PJPro"]Did it
pass the THX tests?[/quote]

Not sure - we tend not to use the THX audio tests, only the picture ones.

[quote user="PJPro"]Could it be something to do with the cables? I'm clutching at straws here.[/quote]

Maybe not clutching - just had a thought...

Since you're using a Sony TV and a Sony player - ie the PS3 - through a non-Sony component, could it be that the TV is sending a signal back through the HDMI via the Bravia Theatre Sync/HDMI CEC system telling the player that the final destination - ie the TV - can only accept stereo, and therefore the PS3 is only outputting stereo?

Try turning off Bravia Sync/Bravia Theatre Sync on the TV - it'll be in a menu somewhere - and see whether that makes a difference.

Or maybe that's me clutching at straws...

A

Anonymous

Ok I have it flying now.........i think, the SKY HD is sorted (hd is coming out dts) and I have the PS3 coming out through linear and then I change the settings on the blu ray dvd to umcompressed. Ps3 coming out multich. Do I need to do anything else here. I am onto the next level here! 3 questions!

Pure audio, should i be using this for ps3 or is multich the best for blu ray and dvd?

I have a 5.1 surround set up so am i right in saying I cannot get the neo or pro logic iix, DOLBY EX on the PS3 multich because I need 7.1 surround?

Is the same true for the dolby true hd. I need 6.1 or 7.1 surround to get dolby true hd?

Thanks for the help by the way

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="olidaly"][snip].....Do I need to do anything else here...[snip][/quote]
No.

[quote user="olidaly"][snip].....Pure audio, should i be using this for ps3 or is multich the best for blu ray and dvd?...[snip][/quote]Dunno. Pure audio switches off all unnecessary displays/video feeds to minimise nosie that might effect the sound quality. Suggest you experiment and see.

[quote user="olidaly"][snip].....I have a 5.1 surround set up so am i right in saying I cannot get the neo or pro logic iix, DOLBY EX on the PS3 multich because I need 7.1 surround?...[snip][/quote]
Neo and Pro Logic are for use with 2 channel sources....ie it is forced surround sound. The amp takes the supplied 2 channel sound and creates surround sound from it. You don't need it except, perhaps, for TV.

[quote user="olidaly"][snip].....Is the same true for the dolby true hd. I need 6.1 or 7.1 surround to get dolby true hd?...[snip][/quote] The amp will utilise whatever speakers you have.....with 7.1 giving the full effect. 5.1 should still be pretty good.

Recommend that you take a read of this as well. Might provide a few insights.

A

Anonymous

Cheers PJ, much appreciated, When watchin blu ray, with the ps3 on linear I dont have the option for dolby hd when I scroll the listening modes?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts