Onkyo 606 & Quad L-ites in my new set up? Decisions to be made.

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
This is my first post here and may appear to be a bit rambling but I would appreciate any thoughts and opinions.

After a good deal of research and lurking both here and at another site (am I allowed to mention them here?), I am about to return to the world of shiny AV toys although every bit of research just throws up more questions and options! Current set up is JVC 32" CRT with built in centre and detatchable 'sub' (I know, I know), Sky box and Panasonic DMR-EZ47 VHS/DVD Recorder.

Having just done out the living room, I took the opportunity to hide all the cables I might need so all I need is the kit! Plan is to put a Panny 37PX80 on chimney breast (no mantle so will be at good viewing height). I'd love a Full HD PZ80 but max viewing distance is 8ft so 37" is pushing it to the limit really.

Now onto the audio side of things - I have been without a decent system for years so anything is going to sound better than what I have had to put up with. Music is important to me so I have been hesitant about the Onkyo but then I'm inclined to think that the combination of the 606 and the cut price Quad L-ite (£499 for 5.1 package) would suit my needs for now. Trouble is, while there are plenty of places with a 606 to audition, I can't find anywhere locally with the Quads in stock. They're such a good deal on line and I've heard nothing but good things about them that I'm tempted to do the unthinkable and take a punt without trying them first.

Sales guy at Richer Sounds is suggesting I go down the route of a Cambridge Acoustics 540r and Mordaunt Short Avant 902i fronts, 905i Centre, 309i sub and Premiere 302 rears. I've yet to audition this set up

Another local showroom is suggesting the Onk 606 with B&W MT20 speakers. Also yet to hear this set up. Will try this week.

So I suppose I'm trying to work out whether the 606 will be 'musical' enough for me with the Quads (or anything else, for that matter) or whether I'm going to have to get a CA or Arcam unit. I'm willing to make allowances in sound at the moment for features and convenience but audio plays a big part in my life and I work in studios every day so I do consider myself to have a keen ear.

Or maybe I should dispense with the idea of cinema sound and just get a decent stereo amp with a decent pair of bookshelfers like the Mezzo 1 or B&W 685 (no room for floorstanders)!

Eventually I hope to have the following set up:

Panasonic 37PX80 / DMR-EZ47 / Sky HD or Freesat HD / PS3 (once the 80Gb version is out) / Squeezebox duet (to be fed lossless files by a WHS machine over wired LAN) / My old JVC CD player until I change it.

But before I get most of that I need to figure out the Receiver and Speakers question - your thoughts welcomed!

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
I have the Quad L-ites and had the 606 but was not totally happy with the sound, I came from a very large Jamo system which was to big the to loud for the house I now live in. I thought it was the L-ite's and started to upgrade the L-ite fronts and centre to the L2 range, but then Richersounds did a VIP deal £600 on the 875, so I upgraded the 606 (I got £340 for my 606). The sound is way better and the video processing is great, I am now left with the L2 centre I got so will upgrade to the 12L2 fronts which I demo'd and sound spot-on, When I was looking for the speaker package I demo'd the

Kef 3005 not the SE's and though they were really tiny the weak
Kef 5005.2 Really liked them great for moves and quite good with music

B&W MT20 Sub needed upgrading
B&W MT30 Really good with moves and good with music but to pricey

Monitor Audio Radius R90 AV12 Great for moves and quite good with music
Monitor Audio Radius R270 AV12 Really good with moves and good with music

Linn Komponents with the 110 fronts, the best I demo'd but the sub let it down a bit and the price went back up to well over £2000 before I had the money to buy them at about £1200 now at £1749

Quad L-ite Demo'd these at £1000 and though they were as good as any think I looked at with movies and better than all but the Linn's for music and the price dropt to £500 bargin

If it was my money I would go the L-ites and the 875 and upgrade later to the L2 front and centre if the sound is not quite as big or musical as you would like, cost for the 875 and the L-ites would be about £1100 and the upgrade to the L2 front and centre about £600, you will end up with a 7.1 system (sell the L-ite centre on) and s speaker system for £1100 should blow anything at that price out of the water, I'd also demo the B&W 685 Theatre system about £1200 but that's a lot of money in one go and Denon's 1909 at £450. Hope this helps Gary

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that Gary; I'm glad you agree that the Quads do the business for music but I was hoping I had left the '875 vs 606' argument behind me, mainly because I don't need all the power and features the 875 offers and at twice the price, there would have to be a dramatic difference in music performance with the same speakers.

I neglected to mention that the room is relatively small (4.5 x 4 M) and with two young children sleeping upstairs, I'll rarely be pushing the limit for movies at night, although I'll pump it with music in the day. Is the difference between the 606 and 875 really night and day with the Quads?

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Is the difference between the 606 and 875 really night and day with the Quads

IMO yes, and its only £200 more if you get silver from RS but try a demo and look at the Denon AVR-1909 if the 875 is to costly, I have not demo'd the Denon but it's getting great reviews, Gary

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
By 'RS' I presume you don't mean 'Radio Spares'!

Unfortunately, all the kit is lining up to be any colour as long as it's black (TV, CD, DVD, PS3, Squeezebox... If I ever get an Xbox, I'd have to get the elite because it's black!). The cheapest I can find a black one for is £699 (or £599 on ebay for a Factory refurb with 12 months warranty).

Nobody local has the quads so I suppose the only thing would be to buy the speakers and then take them along to local dealer to compare 606 and 875 with them side by side.

Having never used a surround package and A/V receiver for music listening, could you tell me how you listen to music with your set up? Do you just listen through the front speakers or is the sub in the mix too?

Thanks

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
By 'RS' I presume you don't mean 'Radio Spares'! = Richersounds

The L-ite are small speakers so you need the sub for the bass. will try and give you a better response later Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts